FBI Merges Criminal and Civil Fingerprint Database Feds bui

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
FBI Merges Criminal and Civil Fingerprint Database
Feds building huge biometric database on all citizens

For years the FBI maintained it had no interest in scanning fingerprints collected by employers — teachers, lawyers, state and federal workers, even bike messengers now routinely submit fingerprints for employment — but that has now changed.

“For the first time, fingerprints and biographical information sent to the FBI for a background check will be stored and searched right along with fingerprints taken for criminal purposes,” reports the Electronic Frontier Foundation, an organization dedicated to protecting rights online.

The change, which the FBI revealed quietly in a February 2015 Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA), means that if you ever have your fingerprints taken for licensing or for a background check, they will most likely end up living indefinitely in the FBI’s NGI database. They’ll be searched thousands of times a day by law enforcement agencies across the country—even if your prints didn’t match any criminal records when they were first submitted to the system.

The EFF believes the change is “part of an ever-growing movement toward cataloguing information on everyone in America—and a movement that won’t end with fingerprints.”

Such a fine idea. Put all the info of all citizens in one place. No chance it could be breached like the IRS....

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, yes, more of the "Just in case" method of law enforcement. Screw it, body cams for everyone, mandatory download to the feds servers every evening.

Such a fine idea. Put all the info of all citizens in one place. No chance it could be breached like the IRS....

You mean like this? Announcement was just released...

Office of Personnel Mgmt: 5.6M estimated to have fingerprints stolen in breach

The Office of Personnel Management announced Wednesday that 5.6 million people are now estimated to have had their fingerprint information stolen.

That number was originally thought to be about 1.1 million, OPM said in a statement. About 21.5 million individuals had their Social Security Numbers and other sensitive information affected by the hack.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/23/offi...ed-to-have-fingerprints-stolen-in-breach.html

According to OPM, "federal experts believe that, as of now, the ability to misuse fingerprint data is limited." The office acknowledged, however, that future technologies could take advantage of this information.

glhs837

Power with Control
what could go wrong? I know if you Google my name, you get a guy executed in Texas a few years back for a heinous crime........... just wonderful that my prints and his are swimming in the same waters.....

Concern4Calvert

The lack of privacy in today's society is alarming and how easily accessible personal information has become basically keeps me awake at night