Perceptions and misconceptions

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most people, when I tell them what we're doing, are supportive and even a bit envious because they understand what the full time RV lifestyle entails. Then there are the other folks...

My daughter, for example. She's somewhat concerned because she has a mental picture of me living in a roached out trailer, tending bar or slinging hash in some ratty dive. :lol: Intellectually she knows better but the idea of mobile life isn't something she can wrap her mind around.

There are a few others who can't really picture it, either. No, I will not be on vacation; this is how we will live and work. No, it's not some roached out trailer; it's a 34' Class A motorhome. No, I will not be panhandling or slinging beer in a roadhouse (nor will I be selling my handmade crocheted toilet paper dolls at craft fairs); I will be telecommuting (which is exactly what I've been doing for the last 20 years).

What I'm totally looking forward to, what I'm sure will be my favorite part about living in a motorhome, is the outdoor kitchen. Monello has us set up so that pretty much anything you can cook in a regular kitchen can be cooked, perhaps even better, outdoors. Currently I don't deep fry in the house because it greases up everything and the stank hangs around for life. Not so when frying chicken or french fries in the electric skillet in our outdoor kitchen. A whole picnic table for prep space, then just hose it down when you're done. Spill something on the "floor", oh well. We won't be surviving on hotdogs, hobo packets, and s'mores; we'll be eating pretty much the same things we eat now.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Tons of people do exactly what you two are planning, and they are doing it very successfully and totally enjoying it. This plan is not revolutionary. Unique and cool, yes.

Don't be concerned about what anybody else thinks. I mean, why start now?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Count me in on the supportive and a bit envious bench! Not that there's anything wrong with s'mores every now and then. :biggrin:

Once your daughter visits you at your traveling abode, she will understand. :yay: Better yet, video tape your whole setup and send it to her!

PJay

Tons of people do exactly what you two are planning, and they are doing it very successfully and totally enjoying it. This plan is not revolutionary. Unique and cool, yes.

Don't be concerned about what anybody else thinks. I mean, why start now?

Exactly!

And wow. You mean "On the road with Vrai" <---- I recommended that last year in a thread on this forum.

Again wow...so cool and congrats.

I didn't like it at first...now love it. It is amazing how many other full time RV people there are.

I got to sit down...well I am..guess mean sit back a minute and take this in...

Hope life on the road will be a safe and enjoyable one for you both.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I didn't like it at first...now love it. It is amazing how many other full time RV people there are.

Homesick, are you full time? Please feel free to start threads in here with tips, information, and any cool places you've been. And that goes for any other RV peeps, even if you only use it for occasional camping.

PJay

Homesick, are you full time? Please feel free to start threads in here with tips, information, and any cool places you've been. And that goes for any other RV peeps, even if you only use it for occasional camping.

Yes. Ok. Thanks!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
There are a few others who can't really picture it, either.

My husband and I had this conversation when I decided to binge watch various shows on tiny houses/tiny living last year. I completely get the concept and understand why people choose to live a much more simple life. You are not tied down to one location and stuck having to consider a wide range of problems, like selling a house, when deciding to move to another area. Instead, you pack up your home on wheels and move. Of course, you have to be creative so it feels like a home with proper storage but it is doable when you have a couple completely on board. At first, my husband was screaming "no way," but after seeing various shows and interviews, he does see how others do it and completely understands why. I just don't know if he could downsize. I actually have zero problem being light on material things. I have seen what that sort of attachment does to people and cannot help but scratch my head and think how they will never be able to take it all with them.

My father-in-law wanted to do this but my mother-in-law wouldn't let go of those material things to allow that life style. It does require a change and I just, even after heavy consideration, don't see the different between a tiny house living and RV living. I would actually prefer the RV.

I think what you both are doing is pretty great. :yay:

belvak

Happy Camper
I think this is a wonderful move for you two!!! :clap: I'm not sure if I could cut all ties with a home base or not, but I am very excited about seeing the country "through your eyes!!!" And, I know for a fact that "beanies and weenies with a side of s'mores" is not going to be your staple diet!! I've been fortunate enough to sample your "camp" fare! :drool:

:high5:

There are a TON of blogs written by full time RVers that are filled with helpful information. We're not even close to being original.
I'm excited for you! This lifestyle most certainly fits the both of you and there is zero doubt in my mind that you two will make the best of it and thrive off of it.

People are of different mind sets as to what makes them feel secure and content. Me personally... I love traveling and staying at resorts or quality hotels and rarely am convinced to camp or RV though many in my extended family do it all the time. My kids love it so I send them to camp and RV with family. If I can book a hotel or resort nearby then there's a better chance I'll participate... :lol:

lovinmaryland

I think it sounds exciting! We used to travel cross country for the summer when I was younger & I always loved seeing all the new places, sites, trying out new restaurants, etc... So its kind of like you'll be on an indefinite summer vacation!

1 questions though...what will you do for medical care & prescriptions while on the road?

lovinmaryland

I'm excited for you! This lifestyle most certainly fits the both of you and there is zero doubt in my mind that you two will make the best of it and thrive off of it.

People are of different mind sets as to what makes them feel secure and content. Me personally... I love traveling and staying at resorts or quality hotels and rarely am convinced to camp or RV though many in my extended family do it all the time. My kids love it so I send them to camp and RV with family. If I can book a hotel or resort nearby then there's a better chance I'll participate... :lol:

:high5: That's me too! I'm more of a hotel kinda gal! :lol:

But their setup looks like it has all the modern comforts...most importantly air conditioning! So I'm sure I would be able to adjust!

Vince

Most people, when I tell them what we're doing, are supportive and even a bit envious because they understand what the full time RV lifestyle entails. Then there are the other folks...

My daughter, for example. She's somewhat concerned because she has a mental picture of me living in a roached out trailer, tending bar or slinging hash in some ratty dive. :lol: Intellectually she knows better but the idea of mobile life isn't something she can wrap her mind around.

There are a few others who can't really picture it, either. No, I will not be on vacation; this is how we will live and work. No, it's not some roached out trailer; it's a 34' Class A motorhome. No, I will not be panhandling or slinging beer in a roadhouse (nor will I be selling my handmade crocheted toilet paper dolls at craft fairs); I will be telecommuting (which is exactly what I've been doing for the last 20 years).

What I'm totally looking forward to, what I'm sure will be my favorite part about living in a motorhome, is the outdoor kitchen. Monello has us set up so that pretty much anything you can cook in a regular kitchen can be cooked, perhaps even better, outdoors. Currently I don't deep fry in the house because it greases up everything and the stank hangs around for life. Not so when frying chicken or french fries in the electric skillet in our outdoor kitchen. A whole picnic table for prep space, then just hose it down when you're done. Spill something on the "floor", oh well. We won't be surviving on hotdogs, hobo packets, and s'mores; we'll be eating pretty much the same things we eat now.
You know you have my support in this adventure, but you damn well better come for visits. And your golf game better not get better than mine. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Most people, when I tell them what we're doing, are supportive and even a bit envious...

It is with absolutely heartfelt sincerity that I applaud you guys for heading out. :clap:

Obviously, Mo is all about 'the life' and I LONG ago recognized that you were, if not a lock for it, then, a prime candidate. I say this with affection that it used to piss me off no end that I could not get you to see it my way and talk you into it, doing SOMD from the road, all of it, and the affection comes from the fact that, had we done it, everyone would have had to travel who knows how many miles for the funeral whether it be because I 'accidentally' stepped too close to the edge of a trail or canyon or you simply ran off one full speed to get the hell away from me! :lol: So, thank you for saying no and keeping us both alive!!! I am very happy for you both and he's a better man for you than I ever was and in more ways than this so, again, :clap: I'm excited for you both!

Most people have no real clue what it is all about and can't really get around what being a gypsy is all about. You were born one. :buddies: It's not for everybody.

Best resource I've found, at least one of them is https://www.escapees.com/ I'm sure y'all already know of the site. ALL about full timing.

As for slinging hash and serving beers in some ratty hole somewhere, gosh, I'd be disappointed if you didn't do at least some of it for the pure fun of it!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As Monello is fond of saying, "It's not for everybody." People have their beautiful homes that they love, and I completely understand that. I love their beautiful home, too; I just don't want to live in one. When I moved from my house into the apartment, I considered all the things I'd have to give up and what about my lifestyle would change. The only thing I ended up missing was my big boss kick ass grill (which is now turning out amazing ribs and chicken at Im_Me's house). Everything else was a gain.

Moving from the apartment to the motorhome will be a bigger adjustment, because I'll be giving up a private bathroom. I mean, there's one in the motorhome but I probably won't use it a lot because it's small and, honestly, taking a crap while my beloved is 3 feet away from me isn't going to happen. The bath houses at campgrounds are typically pretty nice and I can use their hot water with impunity.

Also, I may need to rethink my internet needs. Currently I have a Verizon mobile hotspot with 10Gs a month, which may not be enough. But that can be worked around because most campgrounds either have wifi or there is nearby access to it. I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to work, so I'll figure out something and make it a routine.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1 questions though...what will you do for medical care & prescriptions while on the road?

I have no health issues, so for random illnesses that require a doctor visit I'll just hit up a local Urgent Care. I will remain a Maryland resident with CareFirst insurance.

Monello is retired Navy, and there are VAs all over the country. He'll have his prescriptions mailed to him.

My bestie is providing me with a physical Maryland address for voting and driver's license purposes, and I'll have a mailbox set up at the place in Wildewood. I don't get a lot of snail mail - all my bills and what have you are on autopay - but they'll forward my mail whenever I ask them to. Campgrounds are used to this set up, so you just have your mail or packages sent to the campground address.

I'll keep my current bank account and my paychecks will be direct deposited.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Also, I may need to rethink my internet needs. Currently I have a Verizon mobile hotspot with 10Gs a month, which may not be enough. But that can be worked around because most campgrounds either have wifi or there is nearby access to it. I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to work, so I'll figure out something and make it a routine.

I gave the wrong earl Try this one http://www.rvnetwork.com/ Good info on connection from the road across the country.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most people have no real clue what it is all about and can't really get around what being a gypsy is all about. You were born one. :buddies:

We can thank biology for that, because you know I didn't get it from my mother. :lol:

But yes, I've always been a bit of a roaming gnome with no big love of putting down roots.