Not only bad for your health, fad diets can land you in jail

Hot N Bothered

Ok, I can't get the link to work. Here's the highlights.

Metabolife International Inc. and its founder were indicted Thursday on federal charges of lying to the Food and Drug Administration about the dangers of a popular diet supplement containing ephedra, the now-banned herbal stimulant linked to dozens of deaths.

charged with six counts of making false statements to the FDA and two counts of trying to obstruct the agency's attempt to regulate supplements containing ephedra.

Federal prosecutors said Ellis lied when he told the FDA in 1998 and again in 1999 that his company had "never received one notice from a consumer that any serious adverse health event has occurred because of the ingestion of Metabolife 356," according to the indictment.

K

Kizzy

You know, I read that the stuff isn't dangerous if it is taken as directed, which I feel isn’t fair to these companies that are sued. Several body builders and yes, some Maryland State Troopers, overdosed on the stuff to drop body fat fast taking 2 and 3 times more than the recommended dose. Three state troopers were hospitalized for complications from ephedra when training to try out for the swat team, 2 were in serious condition. :ohwell: When I read about that, I was shocked how people are so obsessed with losing weight and dropping body fat that they would jeopardize their heath.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
First they take away my Dexatrim, then they take away my ephedra. :mad: I never had a single adverse reaction to either of them and, because two women out of a thousand get a heart murmur or some stupid thing, we ALL have to suffer.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

willie

Rumor has it that Ephedra makes you an ultra right wing whiney complainer......only a rumor.:biggrin:

K

Katie

I took ephreda for a short time. I already have a heart murmur, so it just complicated it even more. SO..I had to go off of it.

One of my friends is involved in a class action suit with Phen-Phen. Her heart valves got damaged while taking it. Yes she lost the weight, but the price was her heart. Not worth it to me.

dustin

UAIOE
The military has put out a bunch of training material on supplements that contain ephedra.

Its become a big deal within the last couple years after a few peeps died in the gym with a heart attack.

I wonder what Metabolife's definition of a "serious adverse health affect" is compared to the FDA's definition. :confused:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by Katie
I took ephreda for a short time. I already have a heart murmur, so it just complicated it even more. SO..I had to go off of it.

One of my friends is involved in a class action suit with Phen-Phen. Her heart valves got damaged while taking it. Yes she lost the weight, but the price was her heart. Not worth it to me.
The phentermine part of Phen Phen is still available and works great! (Phenfloromine (sp?) was the bad part of Phen Phen)