Calvert Big Box issue

mykittykat88

There is much controversy in Calvert about the "big box" regulations. When we moved to Northern Calvert County 15 years ago, there was no Safeway, no CVS....we had High's and 7-11. There wasn't even a Giant in Upper Marlboro. We got used to going out of the county to do shopping.

Then came the Safeway and other stores, the Fox Run Shopping Center and WalMart in Prince Frederick. And where do we do our shopping??? Still out of the county - either Bowie or Annapolis.

It seems the Prince Frederick WalMart wants to expand to a Super Center, and Walmart wants a regular store in Dunkirk. The County commissioners are still tweaking the size limits of "big box" stores, apparently to decide whether the PF WalMart can expand and to determine the size the WalMart in Dunkirk can be.

I was once a supporter of bringing "big box" stores to this County - until I went to a meeting and was told that if the regulations are such that the PF WalMart becomes a Super Center and the Dunkirk Walmart are built...that's it for any stores of that size in the county....there will be no more space in any of the town centers for any others. So, unless I misunderstood...and please, someone correct me if that is not the case...there will be no Home Depots, Lowes, Targets, Michaels, Staples, PetSmarts, Best Buy, etc.....not even ONE of those stores in this county - even IF the big box regulations are increased to please the WalMart fans.

I have received two telephone calls in as many days from people taking a survey.....both asking my opinion about the big box regulations....one outright asking me if I would support the PF Super Center. I know these are sponsored by WalMart and the first caller couldn't get off the phone with me quickly enough when I told him we already have one WalMart in Calvert County......we DON'T need another!!!!

If you look at the new houses that are being built in Calvert County (and their "starting at" prices) as well as the inflated resale values of older homes..........do people paying this much for housing want to decorate them WalMart-style??? I doubt it!!!

What is your opinion of this issue?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by mykittykat88
we already have one WalMart in Calvert County......we DON'T need another!!!!
I totally agree :yay: ...the one in PF is trashy enough. I don't shop at that one, not only because it's messy but the one in St. Mary's is cheaper and cleaner. Somehow I just can't see Dunkirk people shopping at WallyWorld. :lol:

I really haven't followed this issue because I'm in lower Calvert, but I thought the super center was planned for Dunkirk. :shrug: