Stray young cat

D

dems4me

I was informed a few days ago about a stray cat that was hanging around a friend of a friend of mine at the Industrial Park in Waldorf... and several of the guys were literally taking target practice at it. :cussing: My friend took my have a heart trap and brought it to me here. Last night I got the cat and took her to the emergency clinic and had her checked for lukemia, etc.... and she was negative for everything and they gave her her shots. She's the sweetest thing -- I can just tell and she appears to only be about 4 months old if that - she is not full grown and has the softest sweetest little meow noise she makes. She's great around the other cats but very, very terrified of humans. She's a white calico with orange around her face and on her muzzle (?) and her back is grey - like someone spilt paint on her back. Eitherway, she is now in my bedroom and all set up but very terrified and very, very, very hungry so I've been tossing food under the bed for her. She's a little thing and when I last checked she was sprawled out on the bed living in the lap of luxury and then she heard and saw me and she bolted back under the bed.

My question is what do I do with her now? Obviously, I don't want to put her in a kill shelter, and she is really sweet and when I catch her she doesn't attack me -- I hold her firmly and pet her and she purs almost louder than a lawn mower running. But the second I put her down she runs and hides. Some people just have a way with animals and animals sense that in folks, I just don't know why this one is still skitish. I know it hasn't even been 24 hours yet... but I'm afraid if she's here any longer I'll get attached. She needs lots of work and attention spent on her... so I was just wondering if there are any takers or a safe place to take her. I considered taking her to the St. Mary's farmer's market but I feel that folks there get their pets on impulse not a planned decision. From what I've seen if I post it on the classifieds the older cats don't get picked as readily as a younger kitten. This one was saved and would love a loving and patient home. She's still a kitten (older kitten) but has no desire to play... her only desire is to survive life at this time and she is afraid to trust people. She is not at all mean, just afraid of people.

Any suggestions?

D

dems4me

Originally posted by vraiblonde
I think that's my cat. Was it a black and orange stray cat? Sitting on a fence?

No I don't think so, we had to trap it :shrug:

Vrai? do you shoot cats too? :frown:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by dems4me
No I don't think so, we had to trap it
I hate to break it to you but the cat doesn't hate everyone. :tap: She's usually very loving. What did you do to her and when do you intend to release her so she can come home?

D

dems4me

I hate to break it to you but the cat doesn't hate everyone. :tap: She's usually very loving. What did you do to her and when do you intend to release her so she can come home?

Funny you should ask -- we watched "Unprecedeented: feature DAnny Glover -- The 2000 Presidentaial Election" then we watched "CNN -- Election 2000 -- 36 Days That Gripped a Nation" and then we watched "Uncovered - the Whole Truth about the Iraq War" :shrug: are you suggesting that is not her normal preferences? :shrug: If so, please come get her asap, as she may just start pizzing on my things.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
are you suggesting that is not her normal preferences?
No wonder she's so hostile to you. :rolleyes: I wouldn't fall asleep if I were you. You know how vindictive cats can be.

D

dems4me

No wonder she's so hostile to you. :rolleyes: I wouldn't fall asleep if I were you. You know how vindictive cats can be.

All joking aside Vria, she is a sweet and scared older kitten that needs a home and people that love her...do you want her or know anyone that does?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...do you want her or know anyone that does?
Just keep her one more night. If you're still around...uh...I mean, if you're home tomorrow, I'll come get her.

If one of us doesn't show up, put an ad in the classifieds (http://classifieds.somd.com) and see if you can find her a new vic...uh...family.

D

dems4me

Just keep her one more night. If you're still around...uh...I mean, if you're home tomorrow, I'll come get her.

If one of us doesn't show up, put an ad in the classifieds (http://classifieds.somd.com) and see if you can find her a new vic...uh...family.

Thanks Vria -- I'll give it a try after a few days of trying to make her not soo skittish.
Welcome back btw!! You were missed :dance: :dance: :dance:

D

dems4me

OK its been long enough -- she still hides under the bed -- she is not afraid of the other cats... as a matter of fact the other cats are only curious about her and they have started joining her and sleeping under the bed... she will only come out intermittently and skittishly if she thinks I'm not around -- then she see's me and runs to fast for her feet to catch up and she kind of runs and stays in the same place on the hardwood floor. I keep trying to give her some attention but it doesn't seem to be working :bawl: Am I doing something wrong???:bawl: I'd never seen such a scardy cat -- I worry about the constant stress she is under -- will it damage her heart? Do cats get high blood pressure? Should I just have her fixed and return her to the wild :shrug: for her own safety :bawl:

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
OK its been long enough -- she still hides under the bed -- she is not afraid of the other cats... as a matter of fact the other cats are only curious about her and they have started joining her and sleeping under the bed... she will only come out intermittently and skittishly if she thinks I'm not around -- then she see's me and runs to fast for her feet to catch up and she kind of runs and stays in the same place on the hardwood floor. I keep trying to give her some attention but it doesn't seem to be working :bawl: Am I doing something wrong???:bawl: I'd never seen such a scardy cat -- I worry about the constant stress she is under -- will it damage her heart? Do cats get high blood pressure? Should I just have her fixed and return her to the wild :shrug: for her own safety :bawl:

is this you holding the kitten? :shocked:

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/LuckyPussy.jpg

Dems, I think you are overly concerned... I just checked in on her and she is fine...:shrug:

Attachments

• demshomewebcam.jpg
    demshomewebcam.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 134
D

dems4me

Originally posted by kwillia
Dems, I think you are overly concerned... I just checked in on her and she is fine...:shrug:

:roflmao:

That does look just like her in terms of her markings... but she's not that fluffy and she's really, really skinny but slowly putting weight on.:wink:

Pete

Repete
he will only come out intermittently and skittishly if he thinks I'm not around -- then he see's me and runs to fast for his feet to catch up :bawl:
All these years and you still are not used to that? :confused:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Pete
All these years and you still are not used to that? :confused:

:killingme:

:roflmao:

:fart:

:killingme:

:fart: :lol: :fart: :killingme: :fart:

:excuseme:

All these years and no man has ran from me - swam maybe :ohwell: