Itinerary so far for 2016

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Spending a month at the Rec Center in Solomons. First week in May heading to Charlottesville, VA to go to Monticello & the surrounding sights. Then off the Charleston, WV. Mid May we are in the Louisville, KY(5/15 - 5/21) area for a week. Next heading south to Nashville, TN and Vicksburg, MS, our times are flexible at this point. On June 1st we roll into Belton Lake, TX for a month. Post Tejas we go to Oklahoma City, OK for a few days and arrive in Lincoln, NE on July 1st and spending the month there.

We have a reservation in Rapid City, SD on Aug. 21st for 16 days to see the Black Hills & Mt. Rushmore area. We picked those dates to avoid any conflict with bike week in Sturgis. The original plan was to head west after Lincoln and go to Yellowstone/Jackson, WY. August those places will be packed with tourists and lodging is at peak pricing. So now we have to spend 3 weeks rolling around until South Dakota. So now it looks like Des Moines, IA & Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN will be our destinations.

Post South Dakota we may try heading over to Yellowstone or possible start to make our way back to the east coast. The planning phase has been a pleasant experience. The major problem is that we have way too many choices, which really isn't a bad thing. Our Texas lodging has changed. We were originally getting a rustic 2 room cabin with minimal furniture. It's an OK place for a long weekend. Now we are booked into a modern facility with lots of room & conveniences. Plus it was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper for the month. We are still on the lake and will have access to some kayaks that they have for their guests to use.

So if anyone has any input for places that we need to see or fabulous places to eat at our destinations or along the way, please share. We are a few weeks out and the anticipation is starting to build.

The Monticello area is well known for it's wineries, some of the nicest I have ever seen.
http://monticellowinetrail.com/
My two favorites are the Jefferson Winery, very near Monticello, and Kluge. Well, Kluge used to be my fav, but the winery was taken over by Trump. While it gets very good reviews, I like the old Kluge winery better. Barboursville is also very impressive, with huge wine casks in the tasting area.

(not me....)
virginia pictures 070.jpg

Oh... and if you are into a little bit of hiking, there is a parking area on Rt 53 neat the Rt 20 intersection. You can park and hike to Monticello. Also check out Carter Mountain, also on Rt 53. It's an active orchard on the top of a mountain.

Don't know if you guys are civil war buffs, but if you take Rt 3 to Rt 20 on your way to Charlottesville, there are bunch of civil war battlefield and memorial sites along the way. They start just west of Fredricksburg on Rt 3, and there are some nice stopping places on Rt 20. Even if you don't want to stop there, it's a very scenic ride. There is also Montpelier, James Madison's estate along the way off of 20.

Monello

PREMO Member
Thanks for all the recommendations. Hopefully we can add a few destinations to our journey.

Monello

PREMO Member
Don't know if you guys are civil war buffs, but if you take Rt 3 to Rt 20 on your way to Charlottesville, there are bunch of civil war battlefield and memorial sites along the way. They start just west of Fredricksburg on Rt 3, and there are some nice stopping places on Rt 20. Even if you don't want to stop there, it's a very scenic ride. There is also Montpelier, James Madison's estate along the way off of 20.

We did this route on Sunday. Stopped at the court house in Orange and then went and walked around Montpelier. That estate is impressive.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The Virginia beer and wine trail near Lexington/Staunton. I recommend the Rockbridge Heritage. Also, there are a couple of neat little restaurants down that way too. We ate at one place near Washington & Lee college that was downtown about 4 blocks from campus that was fantastic. I think it was in an old department store.

Monello

PREMO Member
We've put quite a few miles behind us since this thread was last updated. Currently in Lincoln, NE right now.

Since May we've been to

Charleston, WV
Louisville, KY
Nashville, TN
Vicksburg, MS
Dallas, TX
Belton, TX

and now Lincoln, NE

What a long, strange trip it's been! We have an amazing country with lots to see, experience and do.

Monello

PREMO Member
Forgot to add Oklahoma City & the Murrah building memorial to the last post.

Since Lincoln it's been

Des Moines, IA
Amana, IA
Sioux Falls, SD
Yankton, SD
Presho, SD
Wall, SD
Rapid City, SD
Keystone, SD
Custer, SD
Hill City, SD
Mt. Rushmore