exhaust cracks

mingiz

Horse Poor
Hello all
I have a 03 F250 SD CC 4x4 . The heat shield weld on the y pipe
busted loose and casued a crack about 1 inch long. I took it to Aldridge Ford and there fix was a scew clamp around the weld to hold the heat shield and to keep it from rattling. I'm getting ready to put a new exhaust (borla) and a K&N intake on it. I think that they are trying to not fix this due to the warranty only being 36k. Now if you were me would you argue with the service manager or go straight to Ford. I'm calling Aldridge today to see what there fix will be. I have a feeling that they will try and put it off again. But the pipe is now starting with spider type cracks in it Anyone ever have this problem or problems getting Aldridge to honor the warranty? Thanks All

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm not sure what you're saying, but if your concern is that they will not make a warranty repair after the 36k, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have documentation that the problem existed before the warranty expired, they are still obligated to make the repair under warranty. Tell them to do it right or you'll just keep coming back until they do.

Vince

Never bought anything from Aldridge except parts and never again. The guy at their parts counter was one of the most impolite idiots I've ever dealt with. I don't need that crap. If they won't cover your warranty go to Midas or Mieneke. Gotten an exhaust system on my truck, the muffler has gone bad twice and they've replaced it free! :biggrin:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Originally posted by Vince
If they won't cover your warranty go to Midas or Mieneke.

You also have the option of taking it to another dealership.

mingiz

Horse Poor
exhaust crack

Howdy all
Well I took the truck to another dealer explained what the other dealer did and they basically said the same that it wasn't crack. So I guess that I will have to keep a close eye on it. I even called ford motor co and told them that several exhaust peple looked at it and agreed that it has a crack. But ford said that they don't accept outside opinions. I have had new Chevy's and Dodge trucks and I have NEVER had any problems with them honoring a problem of any kind. This will be my first & last ford vehicle. I have never seen such grouchy ass people at a dealership as I have at Aldridge Ford. My parents always dealt with them and had good results. I guess the 2nd generation just doesn't care. What ever happened to quailty and friendly service.....

willie

Can you hear exhaust noise? Did you want them to tack weld the heat shield back on instead of clamping? Could the crack actually be the broken tack weld? It just doesn't feel right to me that a dealer would ignore an exhaust leak if that were the case. A muffler shop might tell you that you've got termites in the pipe just to get your business and I would tend to trust Aldrich first. jmho

Liquidwrench

Ford's recommended repair for broken heat shield welds has always been a screw style clamp. They didn't want anyone to try to weld the shields to the galvanized pipes for fear of burn through.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
J-B Weld! I've used that stuff on exhaust manifolds that couldn't be fixed. For under $5, it's worth a try anyway.

Liquidwrench

Oz said:
J-B Weld! I've used that stuff on exhaust manifolds that couldn't be fixed. For under $5, it's worth a try anyway.

Uuhhhhh..........I'm sorry, I couldn't read your post for your avatar jiggling at me. Good Karma for a lovely avatar! :lol:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Liquidwrench said:
Uuhhhhh..........I'm sorry, I couldn't read your post for your avatar jiggling at me. Good Karma for a lovely avatar! :lol:

I see you're new around here... :angel:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Liquidwrench said:
Limp hell, that looks like one powerful strut she's got!! :razz:
:confused: Wait a minute; wasn't that the young lady I saw strutting her stuff on Great Mills Rd. last weekend? :razz:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Wickedwrench said:
You mean the cop in drag that was busting John's? :yikes:
Cops-in-drag, in St Marys County?? I did not know, you wicked woman, that we had even progressed that far , as to "go undercover" like that!! :killingme