Something to consider for a change of pace

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I realize that camping isn't for everyone. There are bugs, smoke and rain. But if you haven't given it a try, why not? Pick a place close to home, make a 2 day reservation and give it a try. The worst that happens is you swear you will never do it again. On the other hand you may find you are much more tolerant and adventuresome than you realize. What do you have to lose?

Spring is the perfect time for an outdoor adventure before the heat and bugs kick into high gear.

I realize that camping isn't for everyone. There are bugs, smoke and rain. But if you haven't given it a try, why not? Pick a place close to home, make a 2 day reservation and give it a try. The worst that happens is you swear you will never do it again. On the other hand you may find you are much more tolerant and adventuresome than you realize. What do you have to lose?

Spring is the perfect time for an outdoor adventure before the heat and bugs kick into high gear.

I actually enjoy the adverse camping conditions. Makes you REALLY appreciate the sunny days and starlit nights. Times like getting caught in a rain so hard I had to poke holes in the bottom of the tent so it drained while we went into town to dry the clothes at laundromat and get dinner. Or the time the outrigger legs on the pop-up slowly slipped on the pebble base until they slipped completely and we rolled onto the ground.

I miss it! Hope to get back to it soon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, if you don't enjoy camping don't do it. There are other things to do instead. Yes, I'm having a blast and so thankful to be living my best life, but it's really not for everyone. It's high rustic and not your nice home.

I thought about that tonight, when I was done with work and we were grilling an cooking and having happy hour. People pay good money to go on vacation and enjoy what we do as our life. But they don't think about it as permanent, and that's okay.

I hope you don't think I was being facetious.... I really did mean I liked it. I remember sitting on the ground outside the camper after it dumped us, and I was laughing my fool butt off. The memories are priceless.

I've been camping a few times throughout my life and can't say that I ever got the enjoyment out of it some folks do. In fact, my kids have been camping several times in their lives but never with me. I always send them away with relatives to camp. I'm a "resort" vacationer. I love spending a week at nicely kept resort and will venture out of their gated community to experience nature, but always glad to return to my gorgeous suite for a pampered nights sleep and the comforts offered within.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hope you don't think I was being facetious.... I really did mean I liked it. I remember sitting on the ground outside the camper after it dumped us, and I was laughing my fool butt off. The memories are priceless.

I usually like my challenging situations better once they're over. :lol:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I've been camping a few times throughout my life and can't say that I ever got the enjoyment out of it some folks do. In fact, my kids have been camping several times in their lives but never with me. I always send them away with relatives to camp. I'm a "resort" vacationer. I love spending a week at nicely kept resort and will venture out of their gated community to experience nature, but always glad to return to my gorgeous suite for a pampered nights sleep and the comforts offered within.

I could have written this! We once sent the kids off with the grandparents to work on a organic farm in Ecuador (my mother-in-laws idea) while we vacationed in Aruba. We all made great memories, but I didn't have to move pig sh!t around. :biggrin:

acommondisaster

Indiana State Dunes Park....for the week before I went to boot camp. It was marvelous. Whenever things got stupid in boot camp, I thought back to that week. Camping in a tent, sitting in the Dodge Dart with my best friend, listening to Frank Zappa while it poured rain. Loved every minute of it!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yesterday was one of those days that makes up for other days that weren't so fabulous and made me thankful once again that I took the plunge. What we're doing isn't really "camping" - it's more comparable to living in a small trailer home with limited indoor facilities. And in another month or so we'll be living in hotels and resort cabins, so that's not camping either.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yesterday was one of those days that makes up for other days that weren't so fabulous and made me thankful once again that I took the plunge. What we're doing isn't really "camping" - it's more comparable to living in a small trailer home with limited indoor facilities. And in another month or so we'll be living in hotels and resort cabins, so that's not camping either.

Nomading is what it seems you are doing, sounds great. Hope you continue to enjoy it. :yay:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
camping ... driving a ORV Trail in George Washington National Forest and finding a place to pull off for the night

Bonehead

Camping is 2111 miles of the AT for over 3 months in 1972...No lightweight gear back then at least that I could afford. Carefully planned food and gear packages at post offices. Waiting over a weekend to get your stuff if you got there at the wrong time.

I have spoken a few younger people that have done the trail in the last 5 years. Pretty sad.

idiganthro

We camped for years in tents when the kids were home. Now we have a trailer and "glamp." Haven't gone out yet this year, thinking of Lancaster, PA area in a couple weeks. We love the Virginia State Parks- Westmoreland is close, Douthat is another fave, but a few hours drive. The further we go, the longer of a weekend we need.
Enjoy!!

lovinmaryland

^^^this^^^

We used to have a motorhome and would go to the desert or lakes around San Diego to camp a few times a year and for ME it wasn't a vacation...cooking for everyone then cleaning up after cooking... then cleaning the camper from everyone sleeping... then guess what now its lunch and everyone needs to eat again so the cycle just continued.

I much prefer to stay at a hotel where someone else is responsible for the clean up :lol:

Later on when I don't have all the kids around I could definitely see myself in a motorhome. I'd love to drive across the country, Alaska, Canada, etc... Cooking & cleaning for 2 is a lot more manageable than 6 :lol: