Kodak or Olympus

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
I'm looking for a new digital and I'm having a hard time deciding which brand to go with. Can anybody give me some insight as to which brand they've had good/bad experiences with?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have 2 Olympus cameras. One is 35 mm and the other is digital. I've never had a problem with either one. Both are easy to use and take great pictures.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by jazz lady
I have 2 Olympus cameras. One is 35 mm and the other is digital. I've never had a problem with either one. Both are easy to use and take great pictures.

Thanks, jazz.

I'm looking for something w/ at least 4.0 megapixels and a 4x optical zoom. All of the reviews I've read (both brands) state that you have to be careful w/ higher end cameras b/c pics tends to come out blurry if you're not using a tripod. Does yours do this often?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by ememdee19
Thanks, jazz.

I'm looking for something w/ at least 4.0 megapixels and a 4x optical zoom. All of the reviews I've read (both brands) state that you have to be careful w/ higher end cameras b/c pics tends to come out blurry if you're not using a tripod. Does yours do this often?

Mine is only 3.2 megapixels, so I can't answer that. I've never had a problem with blurriness except when I get too close. :lol:

Mine is a Camedia, which has always been rated very highly in Consumer Reports. The software that came with it is very good and easy to work with.

SmallTown

Football season!
I have a 4 megapixel olympus and love it. It has a 10x optical zoom, and yea it can get blurry when you zoom way in on things if you don't have a steady platform like a tripod.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a Sony Mavica and I love it so much I got the daughter one for graduation. 5 megapixels and sharp as a tack. The zoom is incredibly good and the pics get recorded onto CD so when you want to upload pics, all you do is finalize the CD, pop it in your computer and transfer the pics. It takes decent movies and has all kinds of neato features that I haven't had time to play with.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by SmallTown
I have a 4 megapixel olympus and love it. It has a 10x optical zoom, and yea it can get blurry when you zoom way in on things if you don't have a steady platform like a tripod.

Is this the one you have, ST? If so, how do night and low-light pics turn out?
ZC75A.JPG

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I have a Sony Mavica and I love it so much I got the daughter one for graduation. 5 megapixels and sharp as a tack. The zoom is incredibly good and the pics get recorded onto CD so when you want to upload pics, all you do is finalize the CD, pop it in your computer and transfer the pics. It takes decent movies and has all kinds of neato features that I haven't had time to play with.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Hmmm, I haven't even thought about Sony. I may have to re-consider. Just want something that will take clear, sharp pics as well as a long battery life. Would like a zoom, and something quick that will catch the "candid" moments of a 3 year old.

I'm willing to spend anywhere from $300 - $500.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by jazz lady
Mine is only 3.2 megapixels, so I can't answer that. I've never had a problem with blurriness except when I get too close. :lol:

Mine is a Camedia, which has always been rated very highly in Consumer Reports. The software that came with it is very good and easy to work with.
The Camedia is rated pretty high, too.

SmallTown

Football season!
Is this the one you have, ST? If so, how do night and low-light pics turn out?
ZC75A.JPG

yep, that is the one. Like most cameras, you have to fiddle with the adjustments to get the low light pics to come out right. But you can set almost everything manually, so tweaking is pretty easy. If you saw my pics of the WWII memorial, that was the 750 with just the "automatic" picture adjustment setting.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by SmallTown
yep, that is the one. Like most cameras, you have to fiddle with the adjustments to get the low light pics to come out right. But you can set almost everything manually, so tweaking is pretty easy. If you saw my pics of the WWII memorial, that was the 750 with just the "automatic" picture adjustment setting.

So, it's pretty easy to use even if you're not a professional photographer? Is the pop up flash annoying, or just something you need to get used to?

Where are the pics?

SmallTown

Football season!
So, it's pretty easy to use even if you're not a professional photographer? Is the pop up flash annoying, or just something you need to get used to?

Where are the pics?

this is a great camera for people who just want to point and click, but has the features the experienced photographers enjoy.

The flash isn't a problem at all.