Greetings from Charlottesville, VA

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What a great city!

We got in yesterday afternoon, with a stop in Orange to visit Montpelier, which is the family home of James Madison. The town of Orange is neat - very small town cute and colonial. Montpelier itself is interesting if you're into history, which we are. I'm a geek for presidential boyhood homes; it's cool to see where and how they were raised, and to imagine this little boy playing in the yard and sharing a tiny room with his brother growing up to become President of the United States.

Last night we had dinner at Milan Indian Cuisine, which is right next to our hotel. I had amazing tandoori chicken with spicy curry sauce, and Monello had butter chicken; came with grilled veggies, basamati rice, and we got garlic butter naan to sop up the goodness.

Today we went to the Downtown Mall, which is a several blocks long stretch of stores, restaurants, bars, and other commercial venues. It's pedestrian only, so you park at one of the garages and take a stroll. It's really neat, similar to Beale St. in Memphis, but without the gritty atmosphere. This is college town and hippieville, and the bars and food choices reflect that.

We took a load off at the Whiskey Jar, which is a bar featuring, you know, whiskey and other libations of that sort. They have an enormous menu of just whiskies, ryes, bourbons, and scotches, ranging in price from cheapo to holy hell what does a $30 shot of whiskey taste like? (To me it all tastes like turpentine, so we had hard cider instead.) The plan was to have dinner there and listen to their dinner music, which tonight is a roots rock guy, but.....

We got to talking to one of the bartenders and Monello asked him what he'd recommend for a scenic drive. He told us we should take the road to Gordonsville because it's rural and goes through a bunch of horse farms and gorgeous homes, and ends up at The Barbecue Exchange. Oh PS, he added, they have 10 different kinds of homemade pickles. Um, yeah, we're there!

The que was super good, smoked onsite, with six different sauces on the table that the meat didn't need. I pigged out on pickles (don't judge) and this ridiculously good coleslaw that was crisp and fresh, not mayonnaised to death. Oh, and the ride there was pretty, too.

So far we're digging Cville. Tomorrow we're doing lunch at Michie Tavern and going to Monticello.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Sounds like a good couple o' days! :yay:

So you take Apollo on your excursions, as well, right? (I forgot to ask if you were doing this when we saw you Friday!)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So you take Apollo on your excursions, as well, right?

Depends on what we're doing. If its outdoors and not too much walking, he comes with us. Otherwise he stays in the hotel room and enjoys having the bed and pillows all to himself.

Agee

Monello @ Monticello...

Monticello is well worth the visit! I believe your fairly close to some of the Va. wineries. Glad to hear your rolling, living vicariously through your travels :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
Dont forget the Devils Backbone Brewery which is out that way. Also another micorbrewery in town, cant recall the name.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dont forget the Devils Backbone Brewery which is out that way. Also another micorbrewery in town, cant recall the name.

And catch the Natural Bridge while in the area.

That's all family "stomping grounds" for me....although the farm in Buena Vista was sold many years ago now.

nutz

If 90ish miles is considered close ok, but no thanks an easy pass. On the corner of 15 and 20 is a great sandwich shop..my favorite is va. Ham, apples, Gouda and pear preserves on toasted sourdough. The orange livestock is a don't miss and you can stroll over to the Va. Cattle co. Pretty sure this a Bazaar Saturday too (flea market, big yard sale, crap selloff, whatever)

nutz

And catch the Natural Bridge while in the area.

That's all family "stomping grounds" for me....although the farm in Buena Vista was sold many years ago now.

The KOA campground there is a very good choice, great people. Last time I was over there with my horse trailer, they were disappointed we didn't have the horses with us.

He has some cabins available too. The new ones he got in, I'm pretty sure qualified as tiny homes.

Last edited:

General Lee

The KOA campground there is a very good choice, great people. Last time I was over there with my horse trailer, they were disappointed we didn't have the horses with us.

He has some cabins available too. The new ones he got in, I'm pretty sure qualified as tiny homes.

I can attest to the KOA. Nice little place

glhs837

Power with Control
If 90ish miles is considered close ok, but no thanks an easy pass. On the corner of 15 and 20 is a great sandwich shop..my favorite is va. Ham, apples, Gouda and pear preserves on toasted sourdough. The orange livestock is a don't miss and you can stroll over to the Va. Cattle co. Pretty sure this a Bazaar Saturday too (flea market, big yard sale, crap selloff, whatever)

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...om+Charlottesville+to+devils+backbone+brewery

Says 30 miles, and 40ish minutes. A nice ride out for lunch and a tasty beer with some great scenery tossed in.

This is college town and hippieville, and the bars and food choices reflect that.

Depending on where you are, that's a true statement. But also not a complete vision. Charlottesville has two major social groups; the college crowd, and the elderly. Not much in between. The places you visited are frequented by the college kids more so than the elderly.

I get to see the other half from taking care of my folks. There is a HUGE business here in elderly care, nursing, rehab, hospitals, assisted care, and on and on. I tend to get kind of depressed after spending a week with my folks. All their friends and neighbors are old, ill, and dropping like flies. On the plus side, because of all the health care available, the elderly get some of the best care I've seen and I'm glad they are where they are.

Ok, didn't mean to be depressing....time to visit one of the terrific wineries in the area......

glhs837

Power with Control
Not from Orange, va. Which is what she wrote and I thought I was replying to.

Ah, I see the confusion..... She said they stopped in Orange on the way to Charlottesville.

Greetings from Charlottesville, VA

What a great city!

We got in yesterday afternoon, with a stop in Orange to visit Montpelier,