Downtown Orange County, VA

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
70 degrees
Sunny
140 miles driven

We finally headed out on our long awaited adventure. Get out of town day was a bit sketchy with all the recent rains we have been having. As luck would have it, we had decent weather. Heading south the traffic was minimal for the most part. We saw a sign for a historic downtown. So we follow the signs to the downtown area of Orange County, Virginia. Not much going on but they have the quaint down town area. We grabbed a few quick pictures then headed over to James Madison's Montpelier.

It was a nice first stop. I like the older down town areas. Most were rendered obsolete by shopping malls. Those areas remind me of a simpler time.

Freefaller

70 degrees
Sunny
140 miles driven

We finally headed out on our long awaited adventure. Get out of town day was a bit sketchy with all the recent rains we have been having. As luck would have it, we had decent weather. Heading south the traffic was minimal for the most part. We saw a sign for a historic downtown. So we follow the signs to the downtown area of Orange County, Virginia. Not much going on but they have the quaint down town area. We grabbed a few quick pictures then headed over to James Madison's Montpelier.

It was a nice first stop. I like the older down town areas. Most were rendered obsolete by shopping malls. Those areas remind me of a simpler time.

Last time I visited Montpelier, they had restored the mansion to the "Madison" period but had not furnished it. Have they furnished it by now? I'd go back and visit if they have.

limblips

When we hook up the TT, our goal is relaxation at a quiet place with side trips to historical or natural beauty places. We avoid the touristy or family places with the pools, game rooms etc... It just seems more peaceful and relaxing to us. State parks almost always fit the bill.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Last time I visited Montpelier, they had restored the mansion to the "Madison" period but had not furnished it. Have they furnished it by now? I'd go back and visit if they have.

We just toured the outside and the grounds. I'm sure their website will have up to date info on the restoration projects. They are doing quite a bit of digging and restoring the outbuildings on the grounds.