Michie Tavern

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Prior to heading over to tour Monticello we stopped by the Michie Tavern to eat their iconic lunch buffet. They are only open for lunch. I'm assuming the menu is similar to what you would have found in colonial times. The buffet includes southern fried chicken, hickory smoke pulled pork barbecue, baked chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, cole slaw, beets & bisquits. Desserts are ala carte.

All the staff are dressed in period costumes. The hostess explains how the deal works. That gal does that dozens of times per day and even is quite cordial when she says it over & over. The plates are simulated pewter and the drink glasses are small tankards. We had our choice of dining areas and we chose the front area with the fireplace. The other option was a more modern looking additions. Staying in the original part of the house had more appeal. The chairs have no backs and are actually more like stools. The servers are happy to return to the buffet and get you 2nds & 3rds. I thought I might want dessert but after finishing my lunch that thought perished quickly. The entire meal is an experience. It makes you wonder how life was a couple of centuries ago.

Then it was off to tour the grounds. There are a few shops you can browse in. They even sell period firearms that come with certificates of authenticity. Guns produced before December 1899 don't require any ATF documentation. They offer some unusual items like genuine confederate coins & bill for sale. Many of the other items for sale are similar to what is offered in places like Williamsburg, VA.

This locale is well worth the trip. Anyone that appreciates history will find it interesting. The grounds are well kept. Parking is close by and other than roaming around, everything doesn't require a lot of hiking. The staff around the grounds are friendly and knowledgeable.

mch1.jpg

DSCF8380.jpg

mch2.jpg

mch4.jpg

mch3.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You guys hadn't said anything about the tavern, I was hoping I didn't give you a bum steer.....

You didn't - it was a terrific experience AND the food was really good. I was kind of surprised at that because many times these "theme dinners" are more about the theme and not so much about the dinner.

Monello

PREMO Member
You guys hadn't said anything about the tavern, I was hoping I didn't give you a bum steer.....

The meal was a wonderful experience. We sat there imagining them plotting against the British from that location. It's an adequate meal especially for a buffet. I'd do it again. Thanks for pointing this place out to us.

Freefaller

Prior to heading over to tour Monticello we stopped by the Michie Tavern to eat their iconic lunch buffet. They are only open for lunch. I'm assuming the menu is similar to what you would have found in colonial times. The buffet includes southern fried chicken, hickory smoke pulled pork barbecue, baked chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, cole slaw, beets & bisquits. Desserts are ala carte.

All the staff are dressed in period costumes. The hostess explains how the deal works. That gal does that dozens of times per day and even is quite cordial when she says it over & over. The plates are simulated pewter and the drink glasses are small tankards. We had our choice of dining areas and we chose the front area with the fireplace. The other option was a more modern looking additions. Staying in the original part of the house had more appeal. The chairs have no backs and are actually more like stools. The servers are happy to return to the buffet and get you 2nds & 3rds. I thought I might want dessert but after finishing my lunch that thought perished quickly. The entire meal is an experience. It makes you wonder how life was a couple of centuries ago.

Then it was off to tour the grounds. There are a few shops you can browse in. They even sell period firearms that come with certificates of authenticity. Guns produced before December 1899 don't require any ATF documentation. They offer some unusual items like genuine confederate coins & bill for sale. Many of the other items for sale are similar to what is offered in places like Williamsburg, VA.

This locale is well worth the trip. Anyone that appreciates history will find it interesting. The grounds are well kept. Parking is close by and other than roaming around, everything doesn't require a lot of hiking. The staff around the grounds are friendly and knowledgeable.

View attachment 112964

View attachment 112963

View attachment 112965

View attachment 112966

View attachment 112967

Just love their stewed tomatoes.

Monello

PREMO Member
Just love their stewed tomatoes.

That and the baked chicken were the only 2 things I didn't try. I'm not a big tomato fan. I do love my pizza though, so as long as there is oregano on my tomato then it's all good.