Pan handlers

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I got hit up twice last week. First time was in a hotel parking lot. It was late in the evening. Lady rolled up and wanted to know if she could ask me something. I was on the passenger side door of her car. I thought she needed directions. She's got a pamphlet in her hand. LSH, he son has friends over for the night and the lights went out. She wants to rent a room for them but only has $8 dollars. Sorry lady.

2nd time was in a rest stop gas station. Guy is limping in ahead of me. He stops and extends his hand to shake. He proceeds to mumble something. I didn't understand a word he said but it was some sort of pitch for funds. Nope, can't help ya out.

This never happened to me all that much in SOMD. This happened in Mississippi & Louisiana. Not sure if it's a regional thing, but it's quite annoying. Then I do the mental gymnastics that the person was in an actual bind and not some scammer. But then I see all the TV videos of scammers and such. At least I didn't fall into a gorilla moat.

PeoplesElbow

Happens to me all the time in southern Maryland, usually at a CVS or a Wawa. I know quite a few people that get hit up by panhandlers at a truck stop near Richmond VA on I-95.

Clem72

Never seems to happen to me. Though I probably look like I need a handout more than they do. So there's your answer, wear old stained/holey jeans, raggedy t-shirt, Velcro shoes, and a sweated through ball cap and won't no one ask you for money.

KevinSully

Never seems to happen to me. Though I probably look like I need a handout more than they do. So there's your answer, wear old stained/holey jeans, raggedy t-shirt, Velcro shoes, and a sweated through ball cap and won't no one ask you for money.

I'd rather get asked for money.

SamSpade

USUALLY happens to me at gas stations in DC, has happened to me from time to time in parking lots and gas stations here. I have to admit, some of them actually seemed convincing - not on drugs, desperate, not high or anything.

On the other hand - I once had someone GIVE me money at a gas station, because he was in the area for a Christian conference - and he thought it was a good idea that I was obviously taking my son camping.
Since I was short on cash - and he didn't take the first couple refusals - I took it with me. I didn't spend it for days, because I felt weird taking money from a stranger.

Still - it was nice.