Dealey Plaza - Dallas, TX

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Went down to the plaza on Memorial Day. I didn't see the actual memo but evidently part of it instructed every tourist in town to head over to the plaza and get in the line for the museum. I had a flashback to Disneyworld. We saw the line then executed Plan B.

Walked around the plaza. 1 thing stood out as eerie. There are people down there selling memorabilia. Replica newspapers and such. 1 guy had 8 by 10 autopsy pictures for sale. This is tacky on an exponential level. There is also a replica car that you can sit in and take photos. What are you gonna do with the picture? Put it up on your mantle?

Dallas is big and spread out. Lots to see & do. They have a trolley system and of course buses. Many of the buses didn't run due to the holiday.

DSCF8797.jpg

DSCF8790.jpg

DSCF8781.jpg

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wow. It is the site of one of America's greatest tragedies; selling autopsy pics, and sitting in a replica car is a bit much, though. Whatever sells, right? I think people still mourn the loss of Kennedy. I lived in Houston for several years, but never really traveled the state, except for Galveston. One of my bros has built a self sustaining compound in mid TX. I may be going back there sooner than I think. I told him to add a bedroom for us. :lol:

Y'all are awesome with all the info on your great adventure. Keep it coming. Thanks!

Weren't y'all just in Mississippi? Y'all are movin' fast! :lol:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dealey Plaza was fairly tasteless and somewhat offensive. The autopsy photos and the kill car photo op were just...ick. They have an X on the spot in the road where Kennedy was actually shot. But Dallas in general is great! We didn't do the Sixth Floor Museum because it was mobbed Monday, and Tuesday we had other plans. But we found a number of their cute neighborhoods and bars/restaurants. :biggrin:

Seriously, this is a shopping/eating/drinking city. Not just downtown, but all over there are these enclaves of commerce, each with their own distinct style. Tony and uptown; hipster; urban funk; blue collar; it's all represented in abundance. I get a more sophisticated vibe here than in Austin or Nashville. Like, you feel you should put on makeup before you go out and be a little less casual.

We had a few days between Nashville and central TX, which is why we did so short a time in Vicksburg and here. We'll be a whole month in Temple area, then another month in Lincoln. So far we've enjoyed every stop - haven't hit a dud yet.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Texas, are you carrying appropriate flotation devices while touring there?

Monello

PREMO Member

Funny you should ask. We have 2 inflatable life jackets since 1 of our stops has kayaks that we can use. I like the inflatable vest since you can wear it all day long and it doesn't impede movement. So on this front we are good. So far the rain has just made the grass really, really green.

Monello

PREMO Member
Did you get a chance to go to the Bush Presidential Library?

It was on the thing to do list but no we never made it there. Too many fun places to see and also great places to stop at to eat and drink.

Monello

PREMO Member
Not sure why the 1 picture loaded horizontal but oh well. These are a few pictures of the Truck Yard in Dallas. From the street it looks like an ice cream parlor. It's somewhat eclectic with a bunch of old neon signs and hub caps scattered around the place. We hike back to see what was off the main street (Greenville Ave.). Behind the ice cream joint is the most unusual watering hole. If I had to describe the motif it would be retro junk yard. There are food trucks parked in the grounds of the beer garden. Fun, friendly people sipping or guzzling drinks at the bar. A bunch of nurses that had just finished finals were celebrating between booms of thunder. A great staff that pointed us in the right direction for other must see locations.

This is the bar that we all imagine in our own backyard if it was legal to do. Build it and they will come.

Truck yard bar and creamery

DSCF8814.jpg

DSCF8816.jpg

DSCF8817.jpg

taps.jpg

yard1.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

No chit. We're staying at a little house on Belton Lake and it is pouring its ass off right now, and supposed to be rainy all through next week. Which sucks because my grandson is coming to stay with us and we have plans that do not include being stuck inside. :mad:

When we arrived yesterday we went down to the...well, what used to be the beach, and it was flooded up to the higher parking lot. The boat ramps are closed because they're underwater. Today I don't care so much because I have a full work day, but TX needs to chill.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
No chit. We're staying at a little house on Belton Lake and it is pouring its ass off right now, and supposed to be rainy all through next week. Which sucks because my grandson is coming to stay with us and we have plans that do not include being stuck inside. :mad:

When we arrived yesterday we went down to the...well, what used to be the beach, and it was flooded up to the higher parking lot. The boat ramps are closed because they're underwater. Today I don't care so much because I have a full work day, but TX needs to chill.
The lake is rising about a foot a day and it seems they can't open the flood gates for about another week. Be safe!
KDHnews said:
Because of construction on the lake’s dam that began in November, the Corps will not be able to open the spillway until June 9 or 10...