Greetings from Belton, TX

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're not really tourists here because both my kids live nearby and I've been coming to central TX for about 10 years, at least a couple times a year. So our setup is pretty much like living here and not just visiting. We have a lakefront cottage with two bedrooms, full kitchen, washer and dryer - you could live here full-time, and the owners did at one point. We're paying less a month than what my rent was at the apartment, and utilities are included.

If you like BBQ (and we do), this is the place to be. It's the real deal, not Famous Dave's, etc, and the crappier the building looks, the better the food will be. Even what the locals consider "meh" BBQ is very good. Ditto for Mexican food - we had lunch the other day at some roadside craphole that cost us $11 including drinks, and was delicious with enormous portions.

They got hammered hard by rain the whole month before we got here and the lake is up over 25' from what it normally is (we're by Ft. Hood were those soldiers died in the flooding a couple weeks ago). Picnic pavilions are submerged and the public boat ramps are closed, but there is still a surprising amount of lake traffic - people kayaking, swimming, fishing, etc.

The weather is glorious. It's been in the high-90s but it's not miserable - it's a nice dry heat. There's a small waterpark nearby that we've been to a few times and it's perfect pool weather.

I'm a huge fan of TX. Big skies, friendly people, casual and relaxed, good climate, low cost. The only thing I'm not liking are their little sticker bushes, because I spend a good amount of time every day picking them out of Apollo's fur, face, and ears.

The bad news about living in a proper house is that you get comfortable - everything you need is here - and don't go out running as much. We've hung out with the kids a lot, and took the grands to a few things here and in Austin, but it hasn't been out nosing around every day like when we stay in a hotel. It's more like every day life.

The view from our deck:

DSCN0603.jpg

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The day we took these pictures, we drove down to a park that is administered by the Army Corps of Engineers. The road to the park is closed with a locked gate. The park is at the end of the road and there is only 1 way in and out. We park to the side and take the camera over to the flooded area. 1 of the care takers comes out of the toll booth and says we can't park there and that the park is closed. It's clearly obvious that the park is closed. Why we can't park on the public street and walk over to the other side of the road isn't clear, but oh well. I say we are just gonna take a few pics and be on our way. I get the hairy eyeball and I'm told to hurry it up.

Later her husband comes out of the booth. We chat about the lake. He's a camp host staying at the park. Since the park is closed he has to man the toll booth even though the park is closed. The COE has to pay them even though they aren't generating any funds. This guy is full of information. The most curious fact he tells us is about the septic tanks for the park's bathrooms are spewing sewage into the lake since the holding tanks are now underwater. EWWW. The parks and other parks on the lake, have seen their dumpsters float away. The owner of the dumpsters isn't concerned since they are insured. The dumpsters will eventually sink and take all the garbage down with them. Yummy.

The lake is up 23 feet over full capacity as of yesterday. The gates on the dam are full open and it's not enough to even keep up with the 2 feeder rivers for the lake. It will be a long time before the boat ramps are reopened here.

This is the roof of 1 of the picnic pavillions.

DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0677.jpg

DSCN0678.jpg

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Very nice and I am very jealous.
I wish we could do something like that.

My generic reply to people when they mention how lucky I am to be doing what I do is "What's stopping you?" Make a plan then put the plan into action.

Roman

The day we took these pictures, we drove down to a park that is administered by the Army Corps of Engineers. The road to the park is closed with a locked gate. The park is at the end of the road and there is only 1 way in and out. We park to the side and take the camera over to the flooded area. 1 of the care takers comes out of the toll booth and says we can't park there and that the park is closed. It's clearly obvious that the park is closed. Why we can't park on the public street and walk over to the other side of the road isn't clear, but oh well. I say we are just gonna take a few pics and be on our way. I get the hairy eyeball and I'm told to hurry it up.

Later her husband comes out of the booth. We chat about the lake. He's a camp host staying at the park. Since the park is closed he has to man the toll booth even though the park is closed. The COE has to pay them even though they aren't generating any funds. This guy is full of information. The most curious fact he tells us is about the septic tanks for the park's bathrooms are spewing sewage into the lake since the holding tanks are now underwater. EWWW. The parks and other parks on the lake, have seen their dumpsters float away. The owner of the dumpsters isn't concerned since they are insured. The dumpsters will eventually sink and take all the garbage down with them. Yummy.

The lake is up 23 feet over full capacity as of yesterday. The gates on the dam are full open and it's not enough to even keep up with the 2 feeder rivers for the lake. It will be a long time before the boat ramps are reopened here.

This is the roof of 1 of the picnic pavillions.

View attachment 113600

View attachment 113601

View attachment 113602
Great pictures! Happy Father's Day!

Roman

We're not really tourists here because both my kids live nearby and I've been coming to central TX for about 10 years, at least a couple times a year. So our setup is pretty much like living here and not just visiting. We have a lakefront cottage with two bedrooms, full kitchen, washer and dryer - you could live here full-time, and the owners did at one point. We're paying less a month than what my rent was at the apartment, and utilities are included.

If you like BBQ (and we do), this is the place to be. It's the real deal, not Famous Dave's, etc, and the crappier the building looks, the better the food will be. Even what the locals consider "meh" BBQ is very good. Ditto for Mexican food - we had lunch the other day at some roadside craphole that cost us $11 including drinks, and was delicious with enormous portions.

They got hammered hard by rain the whole month before we got here and the lake is up over 25' from what it normally is (we're by Ft. Hood were those soldiers died in the flooding a couple weeks ago). Picnic pavilions are submerged and the public boat ramps are closed, but there is still a surprising amount of lake traffic - people kayaking, swimming, fishing, etc.

The weather is glorious. It's been in the high-90s but it's not miserable - it's a nice dry heat. There's a small waterpark nearby that we've been to a few times and it's perfect pool weather.

I'm a huge fan of TX. Big skies, friendly people, casual and relaxed, good climate, low cost. The only thing I'm not liking are their little sticker bushes, because I spend a good amount of time every day picking them out of Apollo's fur, face, and ears.

The bad news about living in a proper house is that you get comfortable - everything you need is here - and don't go out running as much. We've hung out with the kids a lot, and took the grands to a few things here and in Austin, but it hasn't been out nosing around every day like when we stay in a hotel. It's more like every day life.

The view from our deck:

View attachment 113598
What a beautiful view! How does Apollo like being a Road DAWG?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What a beautiful view! How does Apollo like being a Road DAWG?

He likes being where we are and seems to be adjusting to changing digs frequently. I thought he'd have some anxiety, being in a new place and left alone in a strange place while we go get dinner or whatever, but nope - he's doing just fine. :yay:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
My generic reply to people when they mention how lucky I am to be doing what I do is "What's stopping you?" Make a plan then put the plan into action.

I have anther 10 years to work.
But when I do retire I will hit the road (hopefully with the wife).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where we've eaten so far:

O'Brien's Pub - Mostly a bar, but they have uninteresting food choices that are more alcohol absorbers than anything. Like a million beers on tap and lots of character. The bartenders and wait people are super cool and get friendly familiar with you, like you're a regular even when you've never been there before.

Dickey's BBQ - This is in the gas station a mile or so from us. We're having good luck with gas station food on this trip, and we've gotten BBQ and taken it home a couple of time. The brisket is to die for.

Luigi's - Italian in a strip mall, but when you walk in the door it looks super authentic (except then we found out that the owners are actually from Kosovo :lol: )

La Perla Taqueria - No website, it's pretty much a shack. But the food is cheap and delicious, and they have a Mexican bakery with all sorts of interesting breads and pastries.

Miso Korean - Again, no website. I need a bimbimbap fix so we took the kids here after we went to Inner Space. Really good.

Schoepf's - This is my go to BBQ place when I'm in central TX. I like that you can create your own platter and have exactly what you want in whatever quantity. If you just want a half or quarter sausage, you can have it. Behind the restaurant is an outdoor music venue and on Thursday nights they have bands back there. Go have dinner, then grab a beer and get your two-step on.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:howdy: The pictures of the lake are awesome! Miss you in person,:love: but have enjoyed catching up a little online and keeping up with your blog(s)and picture albums, and of course, still love living vicariously through y'all and your adventures. :biggrin: