A word about stuff:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The problem with having stuff is that now you need to get more stuff to go with your existing stuff, and other stuff to take care of that stuff. Example: you buy a house; now you need a lawnmower, a leaf blower, and other stuff to take care of your yard; then you need maintenance stuff to keep your yard stuff operational. I have to say, I'm really enjoying not having any stuff to worry about. Living out of a suitcase suits me much more than I thought it would. I downsized hard when we moved into the motorhome, and now I'm laughing at all the crap I brought over there. Now that we've been a month and a half on the road, I realize I brought all kinds of stuff I don't really need.

:crazy:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I work on little projects during the work week. Last week was my laundry room and this week I am straightening up the garage and resorting. The garage is where my husband has a hoarding problem.

We have 5 weed wackers but only 1 electric one works.
We have 4 leaf blowers, 2 work.
We have an entire isle of car cleaning products, yet, everyone here seems to just run it through the car wash.
We have 3 hoes, 7 shovels, 4 rakes... yet I am the only one who does yard work.

I am hoping if I toss a little here and there & give some stuff away, nobody will ever notice. :whistle:

Last weekend my neighbor asked me for some yard stuff and I told him to keep it.... before that, I had 8 shovels and 5 rakes. :lol:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I work on little projects during the work week. Last week was my laundry room and this week I am straightening up the garage and resorting. The garage is where my husband has a hoarding problem.

We have 5 weed wackers but only 1 electric one works.
We have 4 leaf blowers, 2 work.
We have an entire isle of car cleaning products, yet, everyone here seems to just run it through the car wash.
We have 3 hoes, 7 shovels, 4 rakes... yet I am the only one who does yard work.

I am hoping if I toss a little here and there & give some stuff away, nobody will ever notice. :whistle:

Last weekend my neighbor asked me for some yard stuff and I told him to keep it.... before that, I had 8 shovels and 5 rakes. :lol:

:lol:

We don't have quite that amount of garage stuff, but I am finding stuff in our clean out to move that I question whether it was ever really my stuff or not! I will never be a stuffer again!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
:lol:

We don't have quite that amount of garage stuff, but I am finding stuff in our clean out to move that I question whether it was ever really my stuff or not! I will never be a stuffer again!

My husband has a stack of rusty rotors. Who keeps that crap??? Seriously?

It drives me absolutely bat #### crazy.

I am tired of hearing "we might need that...," or "I am planning to fix that..."

Me ---> :rolleyes: Sure you are!!! as I sneak it into a bag of trash.

He has promised me that he will send those rusty rotors to the dump this weekend along with the stuff my oldest son purged from his room. My son got a new sofa and bed and I'm surprised my husband didn't try to store that back into our garage when I put it all on our trailer.

You know "we might need that...," or "I am planning to fix that..."

We get along very well minus the garage issue.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Oh and several years ago, I made my own tool box because I couldn't find ANYTHING when I went to search his work bench or tool box.

Now he tries to borrow my stuff and I'm worse than the Mafia when touching my tools. :boxing:

littlelady

God bless the USA
My husband has a stack of rusty rotors. Who keeps that crap??? Seriously?

It drives me absolutely bat #### crazy.

I am tired of hearing "we might need that...," or "I am planning to fix that..."

Me ---> :rolleyes: Sure you are!!! as I sneak it into a bag of trash.

He has promised me that he will send those rusty rotors to the dump this weekend along with the stuff my oldest son purged from his room. My son got a new sofa and bed and I'm surprised my husband didn't try to store that back into our garage when I put it all on our trailer.

You know "we might need that...," or "I am planning to fix that..."

That is what my hub does because of his military stint. Marine light, and all that. I have, actually, gone through the trash to see what he has thrown away before, and pulled stuff back out! :lol: Not anymore, I am now a utilitarian, too. Getting rid of stuff is so liberating. I love it and wish had done sooner!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
That is what my hub does because of his military stint. Marine light, and all that. I have, actually, gone through the trash to see what he has thrown away before, and pulled stuff back out! :lol: Not anymore, I am now a utilitarian, too. Getting rid of stuff is so liberating. I love it and wish had done sooner!

My father was a former Marine and he is HORRIBLE about keeping crap he doesn't need or putting anything back where it belongs.

One day he asked me to get his Combi Drill so I asked him where it was... he tells me it is in the outside shed on the work bench. I go... look around... come back.. "not there dad." He'd stomp huffing and puffing mad because I'm not a mind reader and don't know where he last left it. After an hour looking for it, I'd end up finding it on his desk in his office.

My step-mother asked me a few months ago if I'd help her clean up the outside shed. I told her not unless I'm allowed to bring a dumpster. :ohwell:

Most of the furniture I have came from his house because he thought he had more space than he really had and when my electric power washer broke, I called my step mother and she told me my dad had 3. He still doesn't realize I took one. :shrug:

littlelady

God bless the USA
My father was a former Marine and he is HORRIBLE about keeping crap he doesn't need or putting anything back where it belongs.

One day he asked me to get his Combi Drill so I asked him where it was... he tells me it is in the outside shed on the work bench. I go... look around... come back.. "not there dad." He'd stomp huffing and puffing mad because I'm not a mind reader and don't know where he last left it. After an hour looking for it, I'd end up finding it on his desk in his office.

My step-mother asked me a few months ago if I'd help her clean up the outside shed. I told her not unless I'm allowed to bring a dumpster. :ohwell:

Most of the furniture I have came from his house because he thought he had more space than he really had and when my electric power washer broke, I called my step mother and she told me my dad had 3. He still doesn't realize I took one. :shrug:

Three power washers? :faint: I assume two were broken and saved for parts. I am wondering now if I really need two spatulas? My cleaning out may go overboard! :lol: You made me laugh tonight. I always enjoy your posts. :smile:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
All 3 power washers work. My dad has 3 riding mowers and the one that has no front hatch and looks like it survived WWII is the one that they use all the time while the newer ones go unused . He has 6 sofas, 3 refrigerators and 2 stand up freezers. 2 people....

And people wonder why I'm a neat freak :lol:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
One more thing.... my dad has encyclopedias from the 70's that he refuses to throw away.

I have told him many times that not only are they outdated, but we cut several pictures out of them growing up and even ripped pages out of them but they still sit on a shelf with 3 inches of dust piled on top. :ohwell:

littlelady

God bless the USA
All 3 power washers work. My dad has 3 riding mowers and the one that has no front hatch and looks like it survived WWII is the one that they use all the time while the newer ones go unused . He has 6 sofas, 3 refrigerators and 2 stand up freezers. 2 people....

And people wonder why I'm a neat freak :lol:

:lol: You are making me feel better. I only have one of every appliance or machine. I just have stuff; clothes I have not cleaned out since my 20's, knicky knacks from fam and collecting, recipe magazines that I never used a recipe from, a winter coat I bought in Scotland in 1984, and the list goes on and on. I am not throwing it all out. I will donate what I can, or go on somd garage sale, or classifieds on this forum, or put it at the end of the driveway and say come get it, like some here have done. It is time. I am so motivated about cleaning out, I will be surprised if I leave with the clothes I am wearing. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One more thing.... my dad has encyclopedias from the 70's that he refuses to throw away.

I have told him many times that not only are they outdated, but we cut several pictures out of them growing up and even ripped pages out of them but they still sit on a shelf with 3 inches of dust piled on top. :ohwell:

:shudder:

I have an aversion to clutter anyway and can't stand to see crap lying around - I am the opposite of a packrat. People who save magazines - why?? The house we're staying in now has a ton of old magazines in cubbies for guests to read - it's all I can do to not bundle them up and pitch them in the trash.

:shudder:

I have an aversion to clutter anyway and can't stand to see crap lying around - I am the opposite of a packrat. People who save magazines - why?? The house we're staying in now has a ton of old magazines in cubbies for guests to read - it's all I can do to not bundle them up and pitch them in the trash.
I have a bundle of magazines that I've been collecting since childhood that have Bruce Springsteen on the cover... I just can't bring myself to toss them...:frown:

As the only person in a 3200 sq ft house, it's REAL easy to find homes for things that should go. I've been making a special effort to get rid of stuff. The only magazines I save are Consumer Reports, and then only for a year. There are times I really do go back to research an item in a back issue.

The garage is next. It's gotten a bit out of control. Need to make room for a new toy I have my eye on. :biggrin: