Greetings from Oklahoma City!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're only here for two nights, one full day, on the way to Nebraska.

What you do when visiting OKC is go to Bricktown. It's the walkable part of town, with a little canal that goes through it - similar to the Riverwalk in San Antonio but on a smaller scale. They have a water taxi that takes you on a little tour - it's not a bar hopper like in Baltimore, just a narrated tour. Our tour guide, Aaron, was a riot and really made it fun. There's an upper and lower level, with tons of shops and restaurants and the baseball stadium is right there, too.

I learned why the Oklahoma Sooners are called the Sooners: when the unassigned lands (what is now Oklahoma) were open to settlement in 1889 by President Cleveland, there were folks who illegally snuck in and staked a claim prior to the official start date; those folks were called "Sooners".

We also visited the Murrah Memorial, which I'd been to before. We didn't go into the museum, but we walked the grounds. It's interesting because it is a very solemn and revered site, and the rangers are very hushed and respectful. Visitors are quiet and reflective, in contrast to the 9/11 Memorial site, which is just another NYC landmark and the cops there are like, whatever, and the visitors act like they're at a pool hall. At Murrah they will also stand and talk to you, answer your questions and let you take up their time.

It's nice here with a small town feel even though it's quite a large city. If you got plopped down here for a few weeks, you'd find plenty to do and be happy.

PS, they eat animal balls here. They try to disguise them by giving them clever names like "calf fries" and "lamb fries", but I asked our waitress what calf fries are and she told me flat out - "They're balls." Just like that, no nicey nicey. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Some pics:

DSCN0739.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0726.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOaklahoma where the wind come sweeping down the plain!
And the waving wheat can sure smell sweet, when the wind comes right behind the RAAAAIIIIIINNNN!!!

:ohwell: Sang that at a play in elementary school. Kind of stuck all these years.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
We're only here for two nights, one full day, on the way to Nebraska.

What you do when visiting OKC is go to Bricktown. It's the walkable part of town, with a little canal that goes through it - similar to the Riverwalk in San Antonio but on a smaller scale. They have a water taxi that takes you on a little tour - it's not a bar hopper like in Baltimore, just a narrated tour. Our tour guide, Aaron, was a riot and really made it fun. There's an upper and lower level, with tons of shops and restaurants and the baseball stadium is right there, too.

I learned why the Oklahoma Sooners are called the Sooners: when the unassigned lands (what is now Oklahoma) were open to settlement in 1889 by President Cleveland, there were folks who illegally snuck in and staked a claim prior to the official start date; those folks were called "Sooners".

We also visited the Murrah Memorial, which I'd been to before. We didn't go into the museum, but we walked the grounds. It's interesting because it is a very solemn and revered site, and the rangers are very hushed and respectful. Visitors are quiet and reflective, in contrast to the 9/11 Memorial site, which is just another NYC landmark and the cops there are like, whatever, and the visitors act like they're at a pool hall. At Murrah they will also stand and talk to you, answer your questions and let you take up their time.

It's nice here with a small town feel even though it's quite a large city. If you got plopped down here for a few weeks, you'd find plenty to do and be happy.

PS, they eat animal balls here. They try to disguise them by giving them clever names like "calf fries" and "lamb fries", but I asked our waitress what calf fries are and she told me flat out - "They're balls." Just like that, no nicey nicey. :lol:

They also go by the monkier "mountain oysters".

If you can get into the Murrah museum - go. It will bring chills and tears upon you. You can really see what those 168 chairs are all about.