Yamaha xs 1100

Dukesdad

Anyone out there have experience with bike electronics? I bought a 1980 Midnight Special but i'm having a problem with the turn signals. When I turn on the ignition switch all of the lights come on but are dim. This bike does not ave running or parking lights so they should not be on. When I throw the lever to one side or the other, the light glows brighter but does not flash and the light that should be off remains dim but on. I changed out the flasher units but no help there.

dustin

UAIOE
If they are dual element bulbs in the turn signals, the element that flashes could be out. Is it both front and back or just the fronts or what? There could be a stuck relay somewhere...

As for being dim, first thing I would do is start up the bike, then hook up some jumper cables to a car/truck and see if the lights get any brighter.

If the lights get brighter, then either your battery is bad, you have a weak ground, or your alternator/generator is going/gone.

Check the alternator the same way you would a car's.

Dukesdad

Turn signals are plain 1156 single element bulbs. All four lights come on when i start it. Just very dim. Changed one of the flashers and the other checks good. Battery has a good charge no change in the lights when I hooked a charger up to it. Checked grounds......still working on it

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by duke'sdad
Turn signals are plain 1156 single element bulbs. All four lights come on when i start it. Just very dim. Changed one of the flashers and the other checks good. Battery has a good charge no change in the lights when I hooked a charger up to it. Checked grounds......still working on it

good luck dude. its hard to troubleshoot unless youre actually workin on the bike...at least for me....

if its bein a beyotch. just rewire all the turn signals and be done with it.