Home Improvement Software

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I've seen a lot of landscaping, deckbuilding, and remodeling software available, but I've seen very few places where one can find reviews of this type of software.

In particular, I'm looking for an inexpensive but easy, good, landscaping software package, and also an inexpensive but easy, good, deck design software package.

Anyone got any recommendations?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Does this software come with those little foam things that when you add water, they turn into people? :confused:

marianne

deck software

I was looking for deck software and found Home Depot had the best one. I took down measurements, went to their "deck building" area and worked with the assistant to design the deck. The nice thing about using their software was that it provided me with a very detailed list of materials and price estimate.

I have not looked for landscape software. But if you're in the market for simple AutoCADD software, I've been using Home Plan Pro and really like it. It's the only AutoCADD software I found that easily lets you develop "layered" drawings - so we have one layer for electrical, one for plumbing, etc.

Fruitcake Lady

Who the Hell Cares?
marianne said:
I was looking for deck software and found Home Depot had the best one. I took down measurements, went to their "deck building" area and worked with the assistant to design the deck. The nice thing about using their software was that it provided me with a very detailed list of materials and price estimate.

Are you volunteering to do it for him

marianne

not at all

Fruitcake Lady said:
Are you volunteering to do it for him

The punchline is, even after doing a detailed design and cost estimate, I ended up hiring LongFence. Great contractors, BTW.

Fruitcake Lady

Who the Hell Cares?
sleuth said:
I'm looking for an inexpensive but easy, good, landscaping software package, and also an inexpensive but easy, good, deck design software package.

In my day we didn't use software and such crap to configure our yards. Get out a pad and paper and design your own damn landscape. Then get your fat hump out in the yard and plant the stuff. :rolleyes:

B

baswm

sleuth said:
I've seen a lot of landscaping, deckbuilding, and remodeling software available, but I've seen very few places where one can find reviews of this type of software.

In particular, I'm looking for an inexpensive but easy, good, landscaping software package, and also an inexpensive but easy, good, deck design software package.

Anyone got any recommendations?

PM me your email and I can send you a copy of DO IT YOURSELF DECK DESIGNER. IT is not Fancy but the price is right.

Best bet is:
Go to lowes / home depot with the deminsions and have them design your deck. They will print you out plans and a price list for free. Then go to whatever contractor you want to have them build it for you.
Landscaping:
Go to Wentworth's and they will do a custom landscape design for you for free.

http://www.wentworthnursery.com/pages/index.cfm