Here's the thing about Des Moines:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The only reason we're here is because we were sitting in the motorhome at Solomons listening to XM and Rick Nielson was on some show talking about Cheap Trick's new album. We were so entertained that I looked to see if they were touring, and they were. It happened that we had three weeks between when we left Lincoln and had to be in Rapid City, and where Cheap Trick was was the Iowa State Fair, which coincided with our tweener time.

So we literally only came to Des Moines to see Cheap Trick at the fair.

But man!!!

We're SO digging Des Moines. Who knew?

Fast forward:

Tonight I was in the bathroom line at the concert and I got to talking to this woman. I told her we were full time travelers, etc. She said, "So where's the best place you've been? Probably not Des Moines :snort:"

So I did indeed school her on how freaking cool her city was and that yes, it's at the top of the list of places we'd definitely want to live.

Now. I love my home town of Lincoln, NE and was so proud to show it off to Monello. But I've been away so long that I see it like a tourist. I appreciate it because it's amazing and I don't take it for granted. So I guess it's just that I'm glad to be on this adventure so I can see places like they really should be seen.

You may not think your town is cool, but I'll bet you it is.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The only reason we're here is because we were sitting in the motorhome at Solomons listening to XM and Rick Nielson was on some show talking about Cheap Trick's new album. We were so entertained that I looked to see if they were touring, and they were. It happened that we had three weeks between when we left Lincoln and had to be in Rapid City, and where Cheap Trick was was the Iowa State Fair, which coincided with our tweener time.

So we literally only came to Des Moines to see Cheap Trick at the fair.

But man!!!

We're SO digging Des Moines. Who knew?

Fast forward:

Tonight I was in the bathroom line at the concert and I got to talking to this woman. I told her we were full time travelers, etc. She said, "So where's the best place you've been? Probably not Des Moines :snort:"

So I did indeed school her on how freaking cool her city was and that yes, it's at the top of the list of places we'd definitely want to live.

Now. I love my home town of Lincoln, NE and was so proud to show it off to Monello. But I've been away so long that I see it like a tourist. I appreciate it because it's amazing and I don't take it for granted. So I guess it's just that I'm glad to be on this adventure so I can see places like they really should be seen.

You may not think your town is cool, but I'll bet you it is.

That was an awesome post, vrai. My hometown is NOLA. Everybody loves it!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That was an awesome post, vrai. My hometown is NOLA. Everybody loves it!

I've been to your home town several times and love love love it. Once you get past the Bourbon St. drunkathon, it's beautiful and unique. Trivia: I have a fleur de lis tattoo on my right buttcheek that I got on Frenchman St. to commemorate your wonderful city.

I also spent my 50th bday there, courtesy of my kids. My daughter stole the show at Cat's Meow.

In fact, Somd.com was patterned after Nola.com. They had the best city site in 1996, so we copied a bit from them.

Big fan of NOLA.

glhs837

Power with Control
Some of our most memorable family trips have been to places most folks would shrug and say, "Really, you had a good time there?"

littlelady

God bless the USA
I've been to your home town several times and love love love it. Once you get past the Bourbon St. drunkathon, it's beautiful and unique. Trivia: I have a fleur de lis tattoo on my right buttcheek that I got on Frenchman St. to commemorate your wonderful city.

I also spent my 50th bday there, courtesy of my kids. My daughter stole the show at Cat's Meow.

In fact, Somd.com was patterned after Nola.com. They had the best city site in 1996, so we copied a bit from them.

Big fan of NOLA.

:yay: Glad you enjoy going there! I miss it. Haven't been back for a good while.