Greetings from Rapid City, SD!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we headed south to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and all the little towns. Mount Rushmore is breathtaking. You come around the curve heading toward the park and BAM! There it is. It's kind of scary, actually. Glad Neal was driving because I'd have been so overwhelmed I'd have crashed the car.

Crazy Horse isn't all that. The monument, I mean. The history and Native American cool stuff is great, but the monument itself is underwhelming. Not nearly as spectacular as Mount Rushmore.

We stopped in Keystone, Custer, and Hill City - all of which are tourist oriented, but cute and worth the time to park and wander.

Had lunch in Custer and chatted with our Filipina waitress and a couple of vacationing Canadians. We talk to everyone who isn't from here, because how the hell do you get from the Philippines to freaking Custer, SD?? The Sudanese guy at the Goodwill in Des Moines - how on earth did you end up in the middle of Iowa??? (Answer: they either know someone who lives here or they were relocated by the gov.)

We met some Italian tourists at Mount Rushmore, so Monello got to show off his mad Italian language skills. I felt a rush of pride when the wife enthused and said she's ready to move here. I love it when my country shows well. See world? We're not all bad!

We're staying at a campground cabin again, and it's pretty sweet. It doesn't have a couch to lounge and watch TV like we had in Lincoln, but it does have a full size fridge and a nice picnic table on our deck.

On the way back from touristing we stopped at a local meat market - like the kind that sells meat, not a pickup joint - and got local animals to throw on the grill this week. They also had bacon wrapped asparagus and stuffed mushrooms that we bought as well. Next door was a liquor store with an owner who is a total beer dude. I said, "I want something local that's not hardcore but, you know, drinkable." He set me up with a cream ale out of Spearfish, and I also got Redbridge gluten free sorghum beer (which I'm drinking now and is quite delicious).

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Today we headed south to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and all the little towns. Mount Rushmore is breathtaking. You come around the curve heading toward the park and BAM! There it is. It's kind of scary, actually. Glad Neal was driving because I'd have been so overwhelmed I'd have crashed the car.

Crazy Horse isn't all that. The monument, I mean. The history and Native American cool stuff is great, but the monument itself is underwhelming. Not nearly as spectacular as Mount Rushmore.

We stopped in Keystone, Custer, and Hill City - all of which are tourist oriented, but cute and worth the time to park and wander.

Had lunch in Custer and chatted with our Filipina waitress and a couple of vacationing Canadians. We talk to everyone who isn't from here, because how the hell do you get from the Philippines to freaking Custer, SD?? The Sudanese guy at the Goodwill in Des Moines - how on earth did you end up in the middle of Iowa??? (Answer: they either know someone who lives here or they were relocated by the gov.)

We met some Italian tourists at Mount Rushmore, so Monello got to show off his mad Italian language skills. I felt a rush of pride when the wife enthused and said she's ready to move here. I love it when my country shows well. See world? We're not all bad!

We're staying at a campground cabin again, and it's pretty sweet. It doesn't have a couch to lounge and watch TV like we had in Lincoln, but it does have a full size fridge and a nice picnic table on our deck.

On the way back from touristing we stopped at a local meat market - like the kind that sells meat, not a pickup joint - and got local animals to throw on the grill this week. They also had bacon wrapped asparagus and stuffed mushrooms that we bought as well. Next door was a liquor store with an owner who is a total beer dude. I said, "I want something local that's not hardcore but, you know, drinkable." He set me up with a cream ale out of Spearfish, and I also got Redbridge gluten free sorghum beer (which I'm drinking now and is quite delicious).

I love that. :patriot:

From the pictures and your descriptions - you an tell the country just goes from cool and neat-o to WOW, breathtaking & stunning!

The Ex, Thing1 and I made a trip to MT back when Thing1 was an infant. Our family budget was very tight and we were on a short trip, so we didn't stop on the way to MT to sightsee. But, even the views from the CAR were spectacular. One day, Foxhound and I will have to make it out to SD to see all those beautiful sights.

We are SO looking forward to seeing Cody, Yellowstone National Park, and we can't wait to see you all! :yahoo:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
rush.jpg

r2.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Great pictures! In this election year, I'll bet it is an awesome majestic sight to see those great POTUS' of the past carved into the stone. :patriot:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
My two sisters and their husbands were there yesterday, too.

It looks as if your most recent itinerary mirrors their path, too. Looking at your photos, is just about the same as looking at their pictures....same gorgeous backdrop, same landmarks, big smiles....

I'm surprised that you haven't run in to them already.

:biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My two sisters and their husbands were there yesterday, too.

It looks as if your most recent itinerary mirrors their path, too. Looking at your photos, is just about the same as looking at their pictures....same gorgeous backdrop, same landmarks, big smiles....

I'm surprised that you haven't run in to them already.

:biggrin:
That's so cool! Now I'll keep a lookout and see if I see them. But honestly, while it's not crowded there are still a whole bunch of people milling about, so if I weren't actively looking it's unlikely I'd be able to pick them out.

Homer J

Power Chord
If you haven't already planned it, I would highly recommend a trip out to Devil's Tower in Wyoming.

Monello

PREMO Member
Yesterday's car conversations

WOW
Look!
Gorgeous
Spectacular
You're lost, aren't you?
Breathtaking
Amazing
What a great country we live in
WOW
I'm SO glad we did this
Magnificent
Incredible
What scenery
Everyone should see this at least once
Oh my
WOW
We need beer

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hey, just noticed there is flooding going on in Iowa, maybe you guys should rush off to southern CA and help out with the forest fires.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe it is God cleaning up after you have contaminated a place. :lmao:

:razz: :moon:

Chislic - it's a South Dakota thing where they take meat cubes/strips, batter and deep fry them. Now, I'm a person who is squeamish about chicken fried steak because....yeah, battering and frying a hamburger...no. Then dousing it with gravy....infinity no.

But for some reason I thought chislic would be okay, even though it is my opinion that only chickens should be battered and fried. And the occasional pork tenderloin, but that's it.

Anyway, it was underwhelming. But it was on our "local things to try" list, so we tried it and now we don't ever have to eat it again.

Monello

PREMO Member
Our first attempt to visit Deadwood was a bust. So we took a mulligan. Saturday they had a classic car show in addition to a few bands and what not. The tiny town was packed with humanity. Streets were blocked off and there was no where to park.

We went back today and voila, we practically had the town to ourselves. Sturgis T-shirts 5 for $35, regular $15 each. From our 'resort' it's a pleasant 50 mile drive. The wide open spaces along the highway always astound us. So little of the land here is developed, it seems you could hike for miles and never run into another person.

We also finalized the back half of the trip. Idaho Falls, Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, North Platte will take us back to Lincoln, NE. Then eventually back to SOMD.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Needles Highway and Sylvan Lake yesterday.

Needles doesn't start out all that cool. In fact, I thought we were already on Needles Highway because it was so cool leading up to it.

Once we were officially on Needles, I was like, meh. Why is this a big deal? Spearfish Canyon was much cooler than this. Seen one tree, seen 'em all...

Oh...wait...

DSCN1719.JPG

DSCN1721.JPG

DSCN1724.JPG

Needles is filled with enormous scary rock formations that look like monsters, and hairpin turns that are quite exciting. Then there are the one lane tunnels that are an event by themselves. Once you make it through that, you are rewarded by Sylvan Lake, which is breathtaking.

DSCN1725.JPG

I think King Kong lives there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonight we went to Fort Hays Chuckwagon and Dinner Show
http://mountrushmoretours.com/

This is actually one of the movie sets for Dances With Wolves and they've turned it into a tourist attraction with demonstrations and shopping things. Each morning they serve AYCE pancakes for 99 cents, and they have area sightseeing bus tours as well. But every night they have a chuckwagon dinner and show, and it's very entertaining. Highly corny and very much G-rated, but the music is good and they get the audience involved in several numbers.

Lizzie the Ninja Fiddler
DSCN1777.JPG

DSCN1735.JPG

You go through a chow line and the food is pretty good. We had BBQ beef, beans, a baked potato, chunky applesauce (this was the most delicious thing), a biscuit, and a chunk of spice cake for dessert. It's a LOT of food. Your plate is a tin pan that the craftsman makes on site (we bought two of them). It was cool.