Charleston, SC & pineapples

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
You see pineapples in many different references down here. 1 of the tour guides told us a tale. I believe the story in the quote is probably truer.

ANd now you know.

DSCN2137.jpg

[FONT=&quot]In a city of true southern hospitality and charm, everyone know that the pineapple is the ultimate symbol of welcome. Visions and representations of the hospitable symbol can be seen all over Charleston.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But why the pineapple? It’s not a native plant and it doesn’t grow in Charleston, so why is it a global symbol of hospitality.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The legend stems back to the colonial days when Charleston was much more of a shipping city. When a sea captain returned home from a long voyage he would have precious, exotic souvenirs of his voyage. The captain would spear a pineapple on his fence post to let his friends and neighbors know that he had returned safely. The pineapple earned its symbolic meaning because friends would come over for dinner that night to drink and hear the captains adventure tales of piracy, scurvy, and encounters with new lands.[/FONT]

lucky_bee

RBF expert
What a cute story about the pineapples :cheesy: Charleston has to be one of my top favorite places ever. The place is just so adorably charming in so many ways: the history, the food, the people, architecture, the beaches...to me it has it all. Although my hair just wishes the humidity was just a tad less intense :lol: My parents recently bought property down in Beaufort for when they actually retire and I look forward to exploring the area even more when I go to visit.