Merchant of Shame Award

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Wal-Mart: Merchant of Shame

UPDATE: NOW Announces National Day of Action Against Wal-Mart

The National Organization for Women, its Board of Directors, and its members have received numerous complaints regarding workplace environment and employment practices at Wal-Mart stores, distribution centers, regional and corporate offices. We have considered the extensive public record on cases filed against Wal-Mart and found the allegations disturbing. They are sex discrimination in pay, promotion, and compensation, wage abuse, exclusion of contraceptive coverage in insurance plans, violations of child labor laws and the Americans with Disabilities Act, and discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Cases have also been filed regarding firing pro-union workers, eliminating jobs once workers joined unions, and discouraging workers from unionizing. In addition, Wal-Mart continues to refuse to dispense Preven, the "morning-after pill."
Consistent with the goals of NOW's Women Friendly Workplace Campaign, NOW names Wal-Mart a Merchant of Shame. Wal-Mart's dismal record contradicts the worker-friendly image it projects to the public. Join NOW in its campaign to demand changes in Wal-Mart's unfair practices.

There IS more to this story. Check out these two sites
http://www.now.org/issues/wfw/wm-legal.html
http://www.now.org/issues/wfw/wm-facts.html

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by BchBns
(I can't believe someone didn't cuss me out for my rant about N.O.W. ... I was sure I'd have bruises by now :ohwell: you folks let me down :frown:)

:biggrin:
:spank: :whip: :roflmao: better now?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If NOW hates the Wal-Mart, I'm going shop there and blow off Target from now on! The NOW babes are EVIL and must be stopped!!!!!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Chuck, did you read this Sunday's Post Magazine profile of the La Plata Wal-Mart?

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by Tonio
[B
I was surprised that the reporter was able to get negative comments out of the Wal-Mart employees. And I got the impression that customer service has gone WAY down nationwide since Sam Walton's death. I wouldn't know myself, since Wal-Mart wasn't open in St. Mary's when Sam was alive. [/B]

Check this link http://www.walmartwatch.com/know/commentary.cfm?subsection_id=105

I bet La Plata was glad to hear that they are a One-Horse-Town

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by chuckster
I don't think that Old Mr Sam wanted all of this for his company.
Remember when Walmart opened around here. Everything was "Made in America" and they had a big banner stating so as you walked in the enterance. Now most of the stuff is from China and the like.

They keep changing and discontinuing brands of good stuff in the store and it is of cheaper quality.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by Sharon
Remember when Walmart opened around here. Everything was "Made in America" and they had a big banner stating so as you walked in the enterance. Now most of the stuff is from China and the like.

They keep changing and discontinuing brands of good stuff in the store and it is of cheaper quality.

And not to beat a dead horse ... keep putting the local Mom & Pop out of business ...

As I stated before, I do not and will not shop there. It's not always about pricing. Just like I try to purchase gas from a "local" gas station and not Sheetz or WaWa. The 2 or 3 cents difference is not worth it to me.

Originally posted by chuckster
Just like I try to purchase gas from a "local" gas station and not Sheetz or WaWa. The 2 or 3 cents difference is not worth it to me.

Greetings Chuckster,

We have a local gas station where I live. Right across the road there is one of those massive "Let's tear down all the trees and install pumps!" Exxon stations.

Local station: $1.41 for regular
Exxon: $1.69 for regular

Amazing, isn't it?

Lynn

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by LynnCoffren

Greetings Chuckster,
Local station: $1.41 for regular
Exxon: $1.69 for regular
Amazing, isn't it?
Lynn

Hello to you Lynn!
I have never seen a difference like that before. Somebody at Exxon must have missed the pricing for the day.

It's really amazing, Chuckster. This Exxon opened up just a few years ago in Accokeek and the prices have been at least 20 cents higher per gallon (regular) than anywhere else. After 9/11 the price shot up to $1.59 per gallon and stayed there for almost 6 months - and has stayed in that ballpark for almost a year now. Unlike other stations, the price barely fluctuated.

There was a dip in gas prices a few months ago, I think the lowest price I saw was at Wawa in Waldorf at under $1.30. The Exxon? $1.59.

I suppose they can get away with this as long as people keep buying gas there, but I can't help but wonder if such a large pricing discrepancy (sp?) is illegal?

Thanks for writing back. :)

Lynn

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
For a long time, the area's lowest gas prices were in Waldorf, probably due to the Route 301 corridor. But I've noticed that Sheetz is really keeping prices down in Lexington Park. The 800-pound gorilla concept?

I don't know why gas prices in Anne Arundel and Calvert are so high. Maybe the gas trucks can't use Route 2?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
If you notice the gas prices are higher in different locations because they can be. If gas station A has no competiton for 5 miles, they can have a higher rate, but you look at Sheets and Texaco on 235. Right next to each other. They compete each day. Have you also noticed the Sheets at the end of 5 and Great Mills is higher then the one at the end of Chancellors? Location is everything in a business. With no competition, you can charge what you want if its a high demand item.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I was really talking about gas prices over an entire region. You're right that Lexington Park is an anomaly because of Sheetz, which has no other stations anywhere in Southern Maryland.

Does anyone know why almost all the Calvert and Anne Arundel stations are higher than in Charles and St. Mary's?