Dems Read King Letter On Senate Floor After GOP Silences Warren

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Democratic senators on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning read from a letter harshly critical of attorney general nominee Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), written by Coretta Scott King in 1986, after Senate Republicans voted to stop Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) from reading the same letter.

At least four senators, Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Tom Udall (D-NM), Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT), later read from the letter themselves on the Senate floor.

“I wanted to take a few moments and share some of the letter that was discussed earlier and share it in a fashion appropriate under our rules,” Merkley said late Tuesday night, before reading excerpts of King’s letter while mostly avoiding mentioning Sessions by name.

He later paraphrased a section of the letter that described Sessions’ 1984 voter fraud prosecutions, which King described in her letter as “one more technique used to intimidate black voters and thus deny them this most precious franchise.”

On Wednesday morning, Udall and Brown continued the effort. Sanders followed suit. Watch Udall read a selection of King’s letter below:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/senators-read-king-letter-senate-floor-warren-silenced

Hijinx

Democratic senators on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning read from a letter harshly critical of attorney general nominee Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), written by Coretta Scott King in 1986, after Senate Republicans voted to stop Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) from reading the same letter.

At least four senators, Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Tom Udall (D-NM), Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT), later read from the letter themselves on the Senate floor.

“I wanted to take a few moments and share some of the letter that was discussed earlier and share it in a fashion appropriate under our rules,” Merkley said late Tuesday night, before reading excerpts of King’s letter while mostly avoiding mentioning Sessions by name.

He later paraphrased a section of the letter that described Sessions’ 1984 voter fraud prosecutions, which King described in her letter as “one more technique used to intimidate black voters and thus deny them this most precious franchise.”

On Wednesday morning, Udall and Brown continued the effort. Sanders followed suit. Watch Udall read a selection of King’s letter below:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/senators-read-king-letter-senate-floor-warren-silenced

A 30 year old letter and the woman is dead and buried and cannot say how she feels now.

LOL Well we all know she doesn't feel now, but that isn't the point.

Hijinx

If Sessions isn't confirmed , I hope he spends the rest of his time in the Senate pounding on these people.

This_person

I'm amazed..

I can't believe it..

Those idiots can actually read..

:lol:

The funny thing is, if Warren had simply used similar restraint, as she was cautioned to do, she would have had the same result as these folks.

Not that it was staged or anything. Not like MSNBC had people lined up and mics on and ready to go when she got done......NOT.