Greetings from Biloxi!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We checked into our nightmare of a Motel 6 here in Biloxi. The first room was just...wow. Filthy. Hair all over the floor, an exploded beer in the mini-fridge freezer that had also leaked all over the floor.

So we got a different room, which was better but still basically a #### hole. We were watching some TV show about guys in prison complaining about their digs and I was like, yeah bitch, you didn't spend $60 a night on your cell.

So we went to dinner and my angst grew. Ran across the street to the much more promising hotel showing a vacancy sign, got a price, previewed our potential room, and laid down my credit card on the spot. Came back and canceled our current horror, will be moving to happiness tomorrow.

This will teach me to trust Motel 6, no matter what lies they tell on their website. I will see you in hell, Tom Bodine!!! This is what I get for trying to be cheap.

Still right across from the beach, much better room, much better property. Lesson learned.

Dinner at Shaggy's, which I thought I remembered from passing through, but didn't. The place Apollo and I went to dinner was Snapper's, not Shaggy's. Neither here nor there, dinner was decent but not spectacular, Southern Pecan on tap made it much better and improved my mood regarding the motel fiasco. Tomorrow we'll explore Biloxi and see what's what.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yikes! Hope your new motel is better. You just brought back a flood of memories. My two bfs forever, Jana and Susan, and I went to Biloxi for our end of high school trip together. That was in 1972, and wanted to be together before going to different colleges. It is a sleepy place that has been ravaged, overtime, with storms and hurricanes. Katrina hit it hard there, plus numerous others. I think you will come to like it. Southerners are survivors. I never would have thought you would put Biloxi on your itinerary. :yahoo:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
OK, I have to ask; why in the flying hell Biloxi? Taking up gambling?

:lol: It's a stop on the way to Austin. We also have four days in Galveston.

I stopped in Biloxi to kill a day before heading into New Orleans a few years ago and had a decent impression of what little I saw. So when planning our time between PCB and Austin, we said why not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I was born in Biloxi .... enjoy the stay [I was last there in 1992 ? or 94] .... not bad then

are you going to 'Slap Yo Mama BBQ' ?

:killingme

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
are you going to 'Slap Yo Mama BBQ' ?

It's right down the street from us. :lol:

Our new hotel is super cool! :yahoo: Nice and big, clean, across the street from the beach, and I'm oh so very very happy. :biggrin:

Right now I'm starving and need some Asian food stat. Fortunately, Biloxi has a large Vietnamese population, so guess what that means? :cartwheel They have one called "What the Pho" that's closed today, otherwise we'd eat there just for the clever name.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It's right down the street from us. :lol:

I saw that on Google Maps when I was looking for a nice place my family ate at back in 92 ... a house converted into a restaurant

the name did not turn up in a search, so I am assuming Katrina wipe it out

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw that on Google Maps when I was looking for a nice place my family ate at back in 92 ... a house converted into a restaurant

the name did not turn up in a search, so I am assuming Katrina wipe it out

Nope, still there. It's a large used to be house with a big porch. We have two more days here and my BBQ fix will be taken care of at The Shed, so Slap Ya Momma will have to be for another trip.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So tonight, another terrific find - Ocean Springs. I needed Asian food - noodle soup in particular - and TripAdvisor said we should go to Pho in Ocean Springs. Holy cow! It's a little village with a bunch of bars and restaurants and little shops - so cute! Open area bars with music, every nationality of chow represented...it's definitely a destination. (And my soup was delicious, served by a Vietnamese looking person with a distinct Southern accent, ya'll.)

We always find these places by accident. It's amazing to me that there are all these super cool little towns that nobody's ever heard of. Not only do I check out all those "Best Town" things on the internet, but friends send them to me and not one time have I seen either Mt. Dora, FL or Ocean Springs, MS on them. Also these TripAdvisor and Yelp sites don't really tell you the neat places to visit, drink, or eat at. We don't like the schmincy touristy fine dining place - we like the hole in the wall that has fried asparagus, the bartender who makes his own bacon from pigs he raises, and lets me smoke at the bar. The Horseshoe bar in Badlands and the Edelweiss in Powell, WY aren't on anyone's list of places to go, and neither is SuckBangBlow in Myrtle Beach. Chief's in Tall Timbers isn't coming up tops on TA or Yelp.

WHY???

????