Recommendation for Cat Shelter

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Hi, I have 4 cats, all adult males, fixed and shots are good. I have to get rid of them today. Any suggestions on the best place to take them? SMAWL, SPCA, Lucky Ones? Or any others? Anyone want them?

They are all indoor/outdoor cats and they are buddies. One orange/white tabby (he's huge & extremely lovable, about 10 years old. His name is Tom), one orange tabby (a stray that showed up at my house after someone shot him with a BB gun, he's very healthy now with a super cool & loveable personality, maybe 2 years old, he's a little cross eyed. His name is Ralph-Red), a brown/black/tan tabby (someone left him behind when they moved, I've had him about a year, super loveable and affectionate. His name is Bandit), and a little grey tabby (that is declawed but cabable of defending himself quite well, very possesive and loves to sit on laps, he's also about 10 yrs. old. His name is Toby). They are all excellent mousers.

They come with 2 carriers, cat food, litter boxes, & toys.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
You've had a cat 10 years and are just looking to dump it off? How convenient for you. Cats that were abandoned and abused once just getting the heave ho again? Nice.

J

jmo2276

theres nowhere around here that will take them its kitten season. why dont u take them with you.

L

libragirl

how could you give up your cat of 10 years??? if i could take them i would but i cant i hope someone will take them or they will be put to sleep if taken to a shelter (i could be wrong)!!!!

G

geminigrl

I would like to have another cat, but I don't think my kitty I have now will approve, sry. :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogart

Hello6 said:
You've had a cat 10 years and are just looking to dump it off? How convenient for you. Cats that were abandoned and abused once just getting the heave ho again? Nice.
See who you are keeping company with? :twitch:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Good lord. It's obviously for a reason that isn't anyone else's business.

Atleast he did take care of them as long as he could:duh: Better than what the other friggen people did with them.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Hello6 said:

Well, you certainly live up to your nickname. :mad: I see bad karma coming your way.

Yes, there are reasons that I must get rid of them. I didn't want to bore you with those details. Believe me, I've been crying all day. I will probably be most depressed for a long time about having to do this. I absolutely LOVE my cats...In fact two are strays that I took in, had fixed and nursed back to health. I have been very responsible & loving pet owner.

Regardless, I drove to Somersall Farm (saw it on the SMAWL website). There was an older woman there who didn't seem to be involved in any aspect of SMAWL. She gave me a couple of phone numbers. I then went to Well Pet Clinic and they don't take animals in for adoption. I refuse to take them to the TRI-County Animal Shelter. (The lady at Well Pet Clinic said strays are kept a minimum of 3 days as per law, but pets can be euthanized immediately)

Lucky One's in Charlotte Hall will not accept individual cats for adoption, they only rescue cats from the animal shelter. After riding around for 3 hours with my cats (along with 50lbs of dry food, 72 cans of wet food, 20 toys, four 20 lb. containers of kitty litter, 4 litter boxes, hand soap, towells and new feeding dishes) I came home. I have to keep them outside, but come winter that will not be an option.

So...I will continue to search a good home for them.
:frown:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
CMC122 said:
Good lord. It's obviously for a reason that isn't anyone else's business.

Atleast he did take care of them as long as he could:duh: Better than what the other friggen people did with them.

Thank you for understanding and having the brains to know that someone who wants to "dump" their pets would not even attempt to find a good home for them. That's how I got two of my cats now, people left them. :love:

J

jmo2276

have you tried cawl over in calvert or any of the calvert county animal rescue leagues?

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
libragirl said:
how could you give up your cat of 10 years??? if i could take them i would but i cant i hope someone will take them or they will be put to sleep if taken to a shelter (i could be wrong)!!!!

Believe me, I don't WANT to do this. :frown: It is necessary for reasons beyond my control. Thanks for the offer though, I will NOT take them to the animal shelter. I'd rather pay boarding for them than do that, I just want to find them a good home.

J

jmo2276

I might be in the same situation you are in in about a 1yr as i might be moving overseas and most people have told me the cats dont live through quarantine :(. I know how u feel I wish I could help you by taking your babies in but I got 3 of my own and where i live i cant have anymore.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
If you'd said all that before, I wouldn't have been so evil. Wait a minute, I would've been just as harsh.
Unless karma=cash money I could care less what I get.
Still, you just announce out of the blue about your need to get rid of cats TODAY, I can assure you I wouldn't think the details were boring, probably just lame just like I hear every time I visit the shelter. You must've known in advance that you needed to dispose of these unfortunate creatures but you waited till TODAY to check out the shelters?
Putting no reason for your need to get rid of the cats gives me license to make one up and judge.
BRING ON THE BAD KARMA :moon:

J

jmo2276

you are right about the 3 day limit. I had ot turn in this beautiful baby kitten i rescued from teh dump i gave teh lady the u know most how dare u do this look on my face. I left crying finding out anyone just couldnt adopt her one of the rescue leagues had to and last i checked 2 days later they were gonna give her an extra 3 dayas of lof to see if one picked her up :((. I am sorry you have to go through this

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Hello6 said:
If you'd said all that before, I wouldn't have been so evil. Wait a minute, I would've been just as harsh.
Unless karma=cash money I could care less what I get.
Still, you just announce out of the blue about your need to get rid of cats TODAY, I can assure you I wouldn't think the details were boring, probably just lame just like I hear every time I visit the shelter. You must've known in advance that you needed to dispose of these unfortunate creatures but you waited till TODAY to check out the shelters?
Putting no reason for your need to get rid of the cats gives me license to make one up and judge.
BRING ON THE BAD KARMA :moon:
Well AH, the reason I said TODAY is because things came to a point where I wanted to do it today. The reason is very hard and emotional for me to discuss.

I have asked my friends if they know anyone who wants some good pets, I have put classified ads in the paper and at work classifieds. I have posted on somd.com before asking if anyone knows of someone who wants a pet.

So, what do you do when you "visit" the shelter?? Someone unable to care for you too?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I "visit" when I'm there rescuing animals dropped off by thoughtless owners or just strays that are going to be killed because their time is up. A 10 year old cat has little to NO chance of being adopted out from the pound and the SPCA here wouldn't even take one. I've rescued 2 senior kitties, one I've had for a year now and the other I found a home for. Our rescue org. saved over 400 animals this year from the local shelters.
I "visit" when I'm volunteering every other Saturday all day taking out dogs for walks that have been dropped off or found abandoned and half starved. I bathe dogs that have been barfed on by drunken owners and turned in, or ones with such bad flea allergies that they've scratched all their fur off.
I give baths to kittens so they won't be sucked dry by a flea infestation before they're put to sleep because there's not enough homes for all these animals. That's what I'm doing when I visit.

I don't need anyone to care for me, people suck.

PrepH4U

SEABREEZE 1957 said:
Well, you certainly live up to your nickname. :mad: I see bad karma coming your way.

Yes, there are reasons that I must get rid of them. I didn't want to bore you with those details. Believe me, I've been crying all day. I will probably be most depressed for a long time about having to do this. I absolutely LOVE my cats...In fact two are strays that I took in, had fixed and nursed back to health. I have been very responsible & loving pet owner.

Regardless, I drove to Somersall Farm (saw it on the SMAWL website). There was an older woman there who didn't seem to be involved in any aspect of SMAWL. She gave me a couple of phone numbers. I then went to Well Pet Clinic and they don't take animals in for adoption. I refuse to take them to the TRI-County Animal Shelter. (The lady at Well Pet Clinic said strays are kept a minimum of 3 days as per law, but pets can be euthanized immediately)

Lucky One's in Charlotte Hall will not accept individual cats for adoption, they only rescue cats from the animal shelter. After riding around for 3 hours with my cats (along with 50lbs of dry food, 72 cans of wet food, 20 toys, four 20 lb. containers of kitty litter, 4 litter boxes, hand soap, towells and new feeding dishes) I came home. I have to keep them outside, but come winter that will not be an option.

So...I will continue to search a good home for them.
:frown:
:huggy:
I am so sorry Seabreaze, If I had the room I would take them for you. Will try to think of some options. Hang in there, maybe someone from the forums can help you out!
Appy any ideas???
Seabreaze do you think they would survive living in a barn over the winter? Appy do you know anyone that could take them?