1 year on the road

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
In a few days we will hit the 1 year anniversary of us pulling chocks and hitting the road. To sum it up in a single word: WOW!

We live in an amazing country. Lots of things to see and do. Each area is quite unique. It seems we are drawn to beach areas. So part of next winter will be spent in Grass Key, just north of Marathon Key. I'm fine wherever for the winter as long as it doesn't include any cold & snow.

Here's a recap of our travels in the past 12 months. 29 states and countless miles. Many areas we were able to tour the surrounding areas extensively. Others were just a stop along the way to get to somewhere else. State capitals and presidential locations were sought out destinations. As were barbeque joints, wood fired pizzerias and beach side tiki bars. We took lots of pictures and brought home plenty of memories.

Along the way we have run into old friends and also made new acquaintances. We have been pleasantly surprised by a few locations and left scratching our heads at others trying to figure out the attraction. Good thing the disappointments were few and far between. It would be hard to pick a favorite but the great Rapid City area has a lot going on. Great finds included a bar just outside the Badlands NP to the cute town of Mt Dora, FL. I recall the angst in the voice of the diner owner in Sydney, NE when she told us that the local Cabela's headquarters was going out of business and what that would mean to their little town's economy & citizens.

Bartenders seemed to be the best source of local information.

Solomons, MD
Montpelier
Monticello
Charlottesville, VA
Gordonsville, VA
Lewisburg, WV
Charleston, WV
Elkview, WV
St. Albans, WV
Sellersburg, IN
Louisville, KY
Brentwood. TN
Nashville, TN
Franklin, TN
Leipers Fork, TN
Vicksburg, MS
Dallas, TX
Belton, TX
Austin, TX
Oklahoma City, OK
Lincoln, NE
Omaha, NE
Ashland, NE
Elkhorn, IA
Des Moines, IA
South Amana, IA
Sioux Falls, SD
Yankton, SD
Mitchell, SD
Presho, SD
Wall, SD
Rapid City, SD
Mt. Rushmore NP
Custer, SD
Keystone, SD
Badlands NP
Interior, SD
Lead, SD
Deadwood, SD
Sturgis, SD
Spearfish, SD
Devil's Tower, WY
Buffalo, WY
Cody, WY
Powell, WY
Yellowstone NP
Red Lodge, MT
Jackson, WY
Idaho Falls, ID
Salt Lake City, UT
Cheyanne, WY
Sidney, NE
North Platte, NE
Lincoln, NE
Des Moines, IA
South Bend, IN
Medina, OH
Scranton, PA
Belleville, NJ
Solomons, MD
Myrtle Beach, SC
Calabash, NC
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Charleston, SC
Jacksonville, FL
St. Augustine, FL
Orlando, FL
Mt Dora, FL
Sarasota, FL
Venice, FL
Tampa, FL
St. Petersburg, FL
Ocala, FL
Gainesville, FL
Panama City Beach, FL
Destin, FL
Biloxi, MS
Ocean Springs, MS
Gulfport, MS
Bay St Louis, MS
Galveston, TX
Austin, TX

This summer's trip is shaping up nicely. We have a lot of desirable locations lined up. Driving distances won't be nearly as long as what we are use to. We'll add 7 more states to our map and make our first journey across the border. Due to availability, we have already started making winter reservations.

I hope those that have followed us have enjoyed the moments we have shared. Vrai's a better blogger than me so I need to step up my game. And maybe we'll see you down the road.

Wishbone

You know it doesn't count if you don't paste a sticker from each of those locations on your back window, and you'd have to start all over.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Are you guys driving a RV, or puling one? I've been looking at both, and posted about a month ago, with some really good feedback on which kind to get.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Are you guys driving a RV, or puling one? I've been looking at both, and posted about a month ago, with some really good feedback on which kind to get.

Ain't you been following? They RV some, car-trip some, Nomading around the country. There ain't no rules.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Ain't you been following? They RV some, car-trip some, Nomading around the country. There ain't no rules.

Been following their posts, but not really paying attention to their mode of transportation. Just assumed that the further distances would be in a RV type vehicle.:buddies:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I miss you, DeeJay and Apollo! Look forward to your trek back here!

Ditto!! But I am thoroughly enjoying all their stories from the road! Oh, and getting to meet up with them here and there on their travels! That's been super fun.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Add to that Greune in New Braunfels, TX.

That looks like an enormous and ambitious list, but much of it is little towns that we day tripped to because we were staying nearby. Calabash, for example, was a lunch trip with Belvak and her husband when we were all in Myrtle Beach. But all of them we either explored, ate, drank, or shopped there.

We love to be surprised. Today, for example. I thought Gruene was an historic little town, but what it really is is an eating, drinking, and shopping section of New Braunfels, TX. It used to be a town on it's own, then it died and by 1950 it was a ghost town. 25 years later...

The story of Gruene.

We love places like this, that died and were revitalized, and are now jacking up the local economy, providing jobs, and encouraging people like us to part with some disposable income. I am typically thrilled to help them out - today's purchase was the terrific Texas Pecan coffee I am enjoying right now; we also had drinks at the Gristmill, and lunch at Cantina del Rio.