Supplemental Dental Insurance/Plans??

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Anyone have any suggestions? One that covers pre-existing conditions?

I have to get a crown next week, and unfortunately, I'm discovering that I'm a bit underinsured. My open season isn't until November, so I can't upgrade my current plan.

What I'm hoping is that if I find one, even one where I have to go to a non-preferred dentist, I might be able to save a few hundred dollars on this procedure.

Pete

Repete
sleuth said:
Anyone have any suggestions? One that covers pre-existing conditions?

I have to get a crown next week, and unfortunately, I'm discovering that I'm a bit underinsured. My open season isn't until November, so I can't upgrade my current plan.

What I'm hoping is that if I find one, even one where I have to go to a non-preferred dentist, I might be able to save a few hundred dollars on this procedure.
If oyu were and insurance company would you cover a pre-existing $600 rootcanal only so the customer can cancell the policy after paying $7.95?

Pay the money........get it fixed........mark it down in the "lessons learned column".

I hear an extraction is cheaper than a root canal. That might be an option, 30 or so times.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Pete said:
If oyu were and insurance company would you cover a pre-existing $600 rootcanal only so the customer can cancell the policy after paying $7.95?

Pay the money........get it fixed........mark it down in the "lessons learned column".

I hear an extraction is cheaper than a root canal. That might be an option, 30 or so times.
Believe me... I don't plan on cancelling. And I'm chalking it up as a "lesson learned"... a $1200 out-of-pocket lesson to be exact.

I was just a little upset when I discovered that my dental provider would only pay 50% of the cost. Granted, I should have known ahead of time, but none of the dental plans offered by the DoD are all that good. I thought I could get by without a supplemental plan, and now I'm learning otherwise.

Needless to say, I'm shopping for one. Even if I can't find one to pay for this tooth, I'm probably going to purchase supplemental insurance anyway. :ohwell:

Pete

Repete
sleuth said:
Believe me... I don't plan on cancelling. And I'm chalking it up as a "lesson learned"... a $1200 out-of-pocket lesson to be exact.

I was just a little upset when I discovered that my dental provider would only pay 50% of the cost. Granted, I should have known ahead of time, but none of the dental plans offered by the DoD are all that good. I thought I could get by without a supplemental plan, and now I'm learning otherwise.

Needless to say, I'm shopping for one. Even if I can't find one to pay for this tooth, I'm probably going to purchase supplemental insurance anyway. :ohwell:
I think my policy only covered cleanings and exams for 12 months. After 12 months it took care of everything.

My root canal last year ended up costing me about $600, why so much for yours? MY copay was 50%.

I just got a new set of Dewalt drill bits. I could take a crack at it for free, you have to bring your own booze though.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Pete said:
I think my policy only covered cleanings and exams for 12 months. After 12 months it took care of everything.

My root canal last year ended up costing me about $600, why so much for yours? MY copay was 50%.

I just got a new set of Dewalt drill bits. I could take a crack at it for free, you have to bring your own booze though.
My root canal was $425. My crown is going to cost me $670. :shrug:
Maybe I should be shopping for a new dentist too. My coworkers seem to think that this guy is too damn expensive.

But he was only one of two that my health insurance had on their plan within 50 miles. Perhaps I should be switching providers, dentists, and the whole ball of yarn... :ohwell:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Pete said:

You are so giving, I can't understand why people say you are meam:huggy:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Turd Ferguson said:
It's cheaper to brush and floss.
Yeah it is...
But this is the result of a dental injury from 12 years ago, and the associated filling that went bad and had been leaking for quite some time, unbeknownst to me... not a lack of brushing and flossing.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
CMC122 said:
You are so giving, I can't understand why people say you are meam:huggy:
:shrug: I feel his pain. I would drill that puppy out and do it alot faster than some old dentist.

I have never done a crown before but I did body work on an old Chevy, can't be much different. I am sure I could give it a try, if you want gold you have to bring something for me to melt down.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Pete said:
Thanks Pete... you're so helpful. :lol:

Pete

Repete
Anyone remember the scene in "Castaway" when Tom Hanks knocks out his tooth with the ice skate? :yay:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Pete said:
:shrug: I feel his pain. I would drill that puppy out and do it alot faster than some old dentist.

I have never done a crown before but I did body work on an old Chevy, can't be much different. I am sure I could give it a try, if you want gold you have to bring something for me to melt down.
Noted.

What do you have for equipment in the way of cleanings:shrug;

G

geminigrl

Pete said:
Anyone remember the scene in "Castaway" when Tom Hanks knocks out his tooth with the ice skate? :yay:

Yea and ouch!! Bet that hurt like he!!...

Pete

Repete
geminigrl said:
Yea and ouch!! Bet that hurt like he!!...
Evidently you have never had an absessed tooth. I bet it was great. I remember mine before the root canal, I had a random thought or two about pliars and a bottle of rum.