Behavioral Problems

devilvice

Angel
My daughter will be 4 next month and seems to have behavioral problems. Does anyone know of a good daycare that has experience with this or a place to call to ask questions about these problems?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
devilvice said:
My daughter will be 4 next month and seems to have behavioral problems. Does anyone know of a good daycare that has experience with this or a place to call to ask questions about these problems?

Seems to have?

I'd recommend starting with a visit to a pediatrician to ask questions about behavioral problems.

K

Kain99

Daycare is not the answer... Maybe a good child psychologist. Try calling some of the local Mental Health Care agencies for referals.

K

Kain99

elaine said:
You wouldn't want to share the behavioral problem with us, would ya'?
We all have kids... Maybe we can give you some helpful hints and much needed support.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Check it out

The New Strong-Willed Child: Birth Through Adolescence

by Dr. James C. Dobson

meme

The Smart Hooker
Are you sure she's having behavioral problems? You said she's 3 almost 4 right? I would really talk to some of the parents here on the board, they might be able to give you some personal insight..and you never know...their advice might just help.

devilvice

Angel
Well I am a single mom and the father lives in Nevada.. whom she never sees. We have no family around here and no friends either. She has gotten kicked out of the 3 daycares she has been in within maybe 6 months. She bullies the kids around.. pokes at them.. throws sand and rocks... hits.. and she never sits still in class.. she is always the one moving around.. time out doesnt help and if i spank her she doesnt care. She laughs mostly. I am sure there is more if I can think right.

devilvice

Angel
On the other hand.. she is smart and tries to help me as much as possible.. she loves reading and is very indepenent but likes it her way, if that helps with my problem at all.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
devilvice said:
Well I am a single mom and the father lives in Nevada.. whom she never sees. We have no family around here and no friends either. She has gotten kicked out of the 3 daycares she has been in within maybe 6 months. She bullies the kids around.. pokes at them.. throws sand and rocks... hits.. and she never sits still in class.. she is always the one moving around.. time out doesnt help and if i spank her she doesnt care. She laughs mostly. I am sure there is more if I can think right.
Your child sounds very much like my cousin's little guy. I lived with them for two years, and I have never seen a child act like that, and it wasn't caused by lack of discipline. They tried everything and nothing worked. He went through 3 daycares in 6 months as well. It turned out that the little boy had ADHD and CD (Control Disorder, which is what makes them violent). He's on a low dose of Adderall and is like a totally different kid. He's not sluggish though, they prescribed just enough of the drug to control his moods and behavior without making him into a zombie. You should talk to your pediatrician and maybe a child psychologist as well.

meme

The Smart Hooker
I would call the "Santi Group" and see if they can see you or recommend someone that deals with children your daughters age. I don't think she's a bad kid at all but maybe she just needs a little nudge in a different direction. She sounds like a very smart child. Could be that she's a bit bored. Maybe she's bored with the kids at daycare and would do better with older kids. My daughter is almost your daughters age and she had a huge boredem problem at daycare until they put her in with kids a year older then her. Seemed to work wonders.

Hope that helps at least some. Be patient and don't get frustrated. We are here for you. :huggy:

K

Kizzy

devilvice said:

Sounds like the spawn of satan. :yikes:

Just kidding.

I'm sure Christy will be on later and can tell you more about the school her children attend. IMO, it sounds like she is not being challenged, and I can also see from your profile, you are young and if she is the only child, she is use to being the center of her own universe. Don't give up keep up firm discipline, and do discuss your concerns with your doctor.

devilvice

Angel
Thanks.. never thought it was her not being challenged enough but did think it could be along the lines of ADD or ADHD.. but her being on the meds is what scares me the most. And just because I am young doesnt have anything to do with my mothering capabilities. I was married at one point and things just didnt work out.. however her dad has a terrible temper and I am scared she is going in his direction. Behaivor.... that isnt heriditary right? Well I made an appointment with her doctor for Friday so maybe I can get some professional help.

H

HollowSoul

a friend of mine has a daughter with the same behavior probs and didnt know what to do..she is 15 now and just fine, when she was i think 12 they finally took her to someone so see what was wrong, came to find out she wasnt being challenged at all. she was bored with everything and never applied herself to anything...and here is the shocker.....turns out that her IQ was astronomical! once she was tasked with difficult probs...she took off, now she is at the top of her class.......
problemb now is that she is extremely concieted and thinks everyone is beneath her...

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
devilvice said:
Thanks.. never thought it was her not being challenged enough but did think it could be along the lines of ADD or ADHD.. but her being on the meds is what scares me the most. And just because I am young doesnt have anything to do with my mothering capabilities. I was married at one point and things just didnt work out.. however her dad has a terrible temper and I am scared she is going in his direction. Behaivor.... that isnt heriditary right? Well I made an appointment with her doctor for Friday so maybe I can get some professional help.
Regardless of what studies show, I believe that behavior is hereditary. The little boy I spoke of earlier has MANY cousins with behavioral problems as well. You also might want to monitor her foods. The little boy can't eat or drink anything with a high amount of a certain red dye. No hotdogs or red koolaid, etc. If he has any of it, he's uncontrollable, even with the meds he's on. As for the meds, you'll be able to tell if they are over medicating her, if it comes to that. If that's the case, take her back to the dr. and have them reduce the dosage. I hope that its just a case of her not being challenged, but if it isn't, it can be managed without turning your child into a zombie. If you give her things to do, like puzzles or some kind of game requiring logic like memory, she may behave better. Something to make her mind slow down so that she has to really think about what she's doing.

mainman

Set Trippin
Ehesef said:
Regardless of what studies show, I believe that behavior is hereditary. The little boy I spoke of earlier has MANY cousins with behavioral problems as well.
**ahem** Has he ever tried to kill any of his cousins? :killingme

Christy

b*tch rocket
devilvice said:

First off. NO MEDS, you'll really screw your child up. I'd go with a Montessori school. They will work with your child to keep them interested and entertained. I know of two in St. Mary's County. I'm no sure where you are though. :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Also, anxiety and stress feed into the whole bad behavior problem. Do you know if she's being teased? You also might want to take a look at how her daycare provider(s) interacts with her. There could be a million reasons your daughter is acting out. All you can do is try different approaches until you find what works. :shrug: