Stomach Pains, Cysts, Cancer...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
My mom recently went to the doc for some stomach pain, and they did either an MRI or a Cat Scan... can't remember which.

She told me that it was no big deal, that they found some cysts on her kidneys and liver.

My mom is a pack-a-day smoker with a history of cervical cancer. She had a hysterectomy in her twenties.

Should I be concerned? Are kidney and liver cysts really as benign as she made them out to be? Do they indicate a bigger problem and could this be a sign of her cancer returning?

Did you do a web searchie thingie for possibly educated answers or are you really wanting our uneducated stabs at it...:confused:

S

Shutterbug

I'm not sure, but try going to WebMD. They usually have good information. Good luck and try not to worry, Sleuth.... :smile:

S

Shutterbug

kwillia said:
Did you do a web searchie thingie for possibly educated answers or are you really wanting our uneducated stabs at it...:confused:

You mean we aren't all doctors here? I play one at home.... :smile:

K

Kizzy

sleuth said:
My mom recently went to the doc for some stomach pain, and they did either an MRI or a Cat Scan... can't remember which.

She told me that it was no big deal, that they found some cysts on her kidneys and liver.

My mom is a pack-a-day smoker with a history of cervical cancer. She had a hysterectomy in her twenties.

Should I be concerned? Are kidney and liver cysts really as benign as she made them out to be? Do they indicate a bigger problem and could this be a sign of her cancer returning?

Nobody can give you the answers you are looking for. She has had cancer once already, so the possibility of it returning is likely. If she has cysts on the liver, it is already too late to do anything if they are cancerous, but the liver does get simple fluid filled cysts, same with the kidneys. Nobody knows for sure what can happen with cancer. I don't think you are going to find an answer to your questions.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Kidney cysts (simple cysts) are extremely common. Through tests looking for other things I recently found out I have one (no symptoms). 80% of people get them eventually.

Although everyone is an individual and no two cases are the same. Given she's HAD cancer, I would hope her doctors are being very thorough in their testing.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
Well... I find that most of the time, I get better info from someone who has gone through such things than what I can find on WebMD and other medical websites.

But yes... I already scanned WebMD. Was just wondering if anyone else had any insight.