Why Don't You Like Barbara Thompson

MDindef

Just a question...

I've seen things flying around, mostly in generalities. But I haven't seen any specifics on why people don't like BT. Is her opponent any better?

Looking for specifics here, if you can help me make up my mind.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Politically, I liked some of Thompson's actions and hated others when she was commissioner. I agree that the whole ULDC mess was handled atrociously. It torpedoed any sensible discussion of what kind of zoning laws St. Mary's needs.

But I think she gets a lot of flak partly because of her personality. I've met her and she comes across as unlikable. She seems to take political criticism very personally.

Republican

I think you need to ask this question the other way. What is there to like about BT. She does not really represent Republicans. She is for higher taxes, :mad: has done a lot of back office deals with the likes of Johnnie Wood & etc:barf: . I could waste a lot of time on this thread. If you remember, she was one of two liberals on the 94-98 BOCC. The only question, I have is she really the lesser of two evils? Dyson aside from being gay, tells you what you want to hear, but does not walk the walk. A lot of party faithfulls do not care for him personally, but have a lot of respect for his parentage.:mrt:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by MDindef
Will someone explain ULDC to me? I'm a recent resident, and would like to know more.

ULDC = Unified Land Developement Code. It is what the county government says you can and can't do with your land.

Darlene

Republican

Dyson aside from being gay

Like who freakin cares???? What a narrow-minded comment in this day and age! Duhhhhh Bubba... better not vote for that Roy Dyson guy, they say he is gay....By Gawd, we better vote for that Barbara Thompson lady. Yep, guess that is what we're gonna have to do. Boy...what :bs:

K

Kain99

Barbara!

Barbara can't even decide whether or not she is for Maryland Gaming... Specifically Slots! What kind of candidate campaigns unsure of his/ her ideals?

Skeletor is a pansy - a political pansy... She will blow with the wind if left to her own devices!

On a personal level she blew me off after I donated services to her pathetic campaign.

Call me an idiot! I deserve it..... :eek:

Delilah903

"Ms. Personality"

Quite honestly the few times I have had the "pleasure"? of being in Barbara Thompsons presence, the thought did occur to me that if she raised enough money from her campaign would it be a legitimate expense to try and buy herself a personality?

The woman has no sense of humor, takes every perceived slight personally, is incredibly vindictive and has the memory of an elephant!!

The memory part is reserved for people who have slighted or opposed her in any way...not helped her in the past on her campaign.

:boo:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Like who freakin cares????
:roflmao: @ Darlene

I do have to say that Barbara Thompson is severely lacking in people skills. Roy Dyson has it in spades, which is why I like him even though he's a damn Democrat (though not much of a liberal). He did yell at me once but I'll chalk that up to campaign pressures.

I'm more curious as to what prompted Thompson to challenge Dyson in the first place. Did she really think she'd have a chance against him?

wildcat

"I'm more curious as to what prompted Thompson to challenge Dyson in the first place. Did she really think she'd have a chance against him?" - vraiblonde

I see three reasons why Thompson may have decided to run against Dyson:

1- This area is becoming more and more Republican (looking at registration trends). Therefore, she could get in just by being a Republican - if enough people vote party-line.

2- She might not expect to win this time around, but she is getting her name out to the public. Next time, her name will be more known.

3- Scandals and death can happen. Thompson could be "at the right place at the right time". But, look out Barbara, Dead Democrats can vote (early and often)! :eek:

demsformd

Mrs. Thompson and her wayward husband are both incredibly deplorable people. Their arrogance is surpassed by no one and their ignorance concerning political thought is so as well. Have you noticed that all of her campaign signs are in proximity to an Ehrlich sign? She's trying to go in on that man's coattails. Her personal attacks against my family are reason enough for me to hate her. Anyway, Roy was a congressman and he knows how to get things done. Vote Roy Dyson!

Delilah903

SIGNS....SIGNS....AND MORE SIGNS.....

Originally posted by cariblue

dang! I've seen a few street corners that have so many signs stuck in the ground that you can't read them...they all just kind of blur together. Much less notice that someone might be "tailgating".

:rolleyes: :lmao:

Cariblu;

You are right!! I don't think I have ever seen a more congested roadway due to all those ridiculous political signs. Like I'm going to vote for someone because everywhere I look I see their smiling face!!

If I have to look at one more sign with that "doufuss" Tommy McKay looking like he just swallowed my canary, I believe I will.....:barf:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If we had smarter voters, the candidates wouldn't have to put up all those signs to build their name recognition.

And, Dems, if you'll notice, most candidates tend to clump their signs in regard to political party. I think you have to get a permit or permission from the landowner - you can't just start plunking down signs all over the place.

It is not that I dislike Barbara Thompson- I have displayed her bumper stickers in the past- although,mostly out of dislike for her opponent.
However, Roy Dyson is pro-life, pro-education, pro-environment, pro-worker, anti-gambling, anti-stupid ferry idea and exhibits common sense.
Not only do I agree with him on these issues, I also appluad him for being strong enough to stand up for what he believes!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by smcdem
One that Dyson lacks in, is his respect for youth.

Please elaborate on that. Do you contend that the youth are do respect or wouldn't you think it is more of a case that they should earn it as everyone else does?

smcdem

What has happened in the past is that Youth leaders would lobby Dyson in his office and Annapolis, and we would laugh and didn't take them seriously. While most delegates and senators did. Johnny Wood and Van Mitchell are two men who consider what youth say on issues that directly affect them. This race is basically the lesser of two evils and i say hey why not vote for Dyson...Things aren't tooooooo bad!

Delilah903

"LESSER OF TWO EVILS"

So, I guess we are back to choosing the lesser of two evils again!

It would seem that in all but a few of the local races, we are going to pick the candidates that we dislike the least as none of them are very good choices.

WHAT A WAY TO RUN A COUNTY???

STMLADY

Originally posted by emptysky57
It is not that I dislike Barbara Thompson- I have displayed her bumper stickers in the past- although,mostly out of dislike for her opponent.
However, Roy Dyson is pro-life, pro-education, pro-environment, pro-worker, anti-gambling, anti-stupid ferry idea and exhibits common sense.
Not only do I agree with him on these issues, I also appluad him for being strong enough to stand up for what he believes!

I have never displayed a bumper sticker for BT and never will... This is one Republican that will vote for Roy Hands down. He is approachable and will discuss the issues with you. Don't matter to me that he is a Dem..he gets the job done and done right. I applaud him for putting the skids on that stupid ferry deal...