Deck-building (materials, codes, etc.)

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
This will be my first major construction project on my new home. I will be tearing down the existing deck, and reusing at least most of the materials that were used to frame it.

The decking itself will be replaced with new boards, but recycled to build planters and such.

First question: Are the building codes for decks in Calvert County available online? Where should I look?

Second question: Where are the best deals on materials? I'm told that Ace Hardware is the only place locally that sells grade A treated lumber, Lowe's has price-matching guarantees, and 84 Lumber is the only place that sells 20' 2x6's. I don't know much about Home Depot as I've never been in one, and I know there are a few less known places around too (Dunkirk Supply, Deans, etc.)

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
Didn't they give you the building codes for the deck when you applied for the permit...:confused:
I was under the impression that since there is already an existing deck from before I purchased the home, that this would qualify as a "repair" and wouldn't require a permit. I don't plan on making it any bigger. In fact, the only upgrade it'd be getting would be a set of stairs to the ground.

sleuth said:
I was under the impression that since there is already an existing deck from before I purchased the home, that this would qualify as a "repair" and wouldn't require a permit.
That may hold true as long as you aren't changing the "footprint"...:shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
fddog said:
i priced 84 lumber, deans, and lowes in the county. dean was way cheaper
Did you try getting an estimate with Deans and going to Lowe's for a price-match? I think they have a guarantee that they'll beat it by 10%. :shrug:

fddog

Bow wow
sleuth said:
Did you try getting an estimate with Deans and going to Lowe's for a price-match? I think they have a guarantee that they'll beat it by 10%. :shrug:
i got it from 84, then took it to all the above places

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
That may hold true as long as you aren't changing the "footprint"...:shrug:
It's definitely not going to get any bigger. I just really want to bring up what I have to code for selling purposes. Unfortunately, that means just about tearing it all apart and rebuilding it from the ground up.

Since I'm recycling materials, I may make it about six inches shorter in both directions. The only reason for that is the existing joists are too short. They're barely perched on the edge of the metal brackets underneath.

Pete

Repete
sleuth said:
I was under the impression that since there is already an existing deck from before I purchased the home, that this would qualify as a "repair" and wouldn't require a permit. I don't plan on making it any bigger. In fact, the only upgrade it'd be getting would be a set of stairs to the ground.
True but it still has to be code. Go to the county and ask. Be inquisitive, seek and yee shall find.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
The county has a book you can purchase at the permit office. Oh, and they're very strict w/the code on stairs so you'll def. want to check 1st. We had a heck of a time passing ours in the spring.

Lowes will probably be the cheapest. You can do the 12 month no intrest financing most likely. Even if you can afford to pay cash, why not let it sit in the bank and collect intrest while you make payments. Just make sure you pay it off before the 0% ends.
That said, Lowes wood SUCKS! 84 has higher quality wood, and it is worth the price. Have heard that Dean and Dunkirk both have excellent wood, but have never been in there.

Don't count on being able to re-use any of the wood. It will probably be ruined when you pull it up. Make sure you upgrade to 6x6 posts, the 4x4's are too small. Lowes can special order you wood longer than 16', but it is not worth it. Don't forget to put concrete in the bottom of the holes and let it set up for a couple days before building. Makes for a stronger footing.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
huntr1 said:
Lowes will probably be the cheapest. You can do the 12 month no intrest financing most likely. Even if you can afford to pay cash, why not let it sit in the bank and collect intrest while you make payments. Just make sure you pay it off before the 0% ends.
That said, Lowes wood SUCKS! 84 has higher quality wood, and it is worth the price. Have heard that Dean and Dunkirk both have excellent wood, but have never been in there.

Don't count on being able to re-use any of the wood. It will probably be ruined when you pull it up. Make sure you upgrade to 6x6 posts, the 4x4's are too small. Lowes can special order you wood longer than 16', but it is not worth it. Don't forget to put concrete in the bottom of the holes and let it set up for a couple days before building. Makes for a stronger footing.
As I said... I don't plan on reusing any of the decking... except for maybe random outdoor wood projects like planters and stuff.

I should be able to reuse the joists and ledger on the deck. :ohwell: ...if I'm careful.

Last edited: