Wrong Bait??

MikeyBash

Yesterday, my son and I went fishing off a kayak in Harper's creek, on the base. We went about dusk, and saw fish jumping all over the place. The creek is just off the mouth of the patuxent river, and has lots of spots that look like natural fishing holes. Since it's on the base, it requires access and a special base fishing permit, which i'm lucky enough to have.

But I sure wasn't lucky when it came to catching fish. Even though they were jumping all around us, we had not even a nibble. I was using standard bottom rigs with two hooks, and clam snouts for bait. I think it may have been the clam snouts. They smelled terrible, and they looked like they'd been in the freezer at 7-11 since the Bee-Gees were popular.

Anybody have any tips, either on bait, rigs, or anything else? Thanks in advance,

Mike

I fish the Pax. up by Benedict. I use squid, bloodworms and shrimp. One of the three always produces, usually squid or worms (that order).

fddog

Bow wow
they were prob. bass, this is top water time. find a top water bait an jig it across the water.

MikeyBash

I've never fished for bass...is it like freshwater fly fishing? What kid of lures should I use? Do I have to bait the lures?

fddog

Bow wow
MikeyBash said:
I've never fished for bass...is it like freshwater fly fishing? What kid of lures should I use? Do I have to bait the lures?
no it is not like fly fishing. go to walmart, and ask the clerk for top water baits. and no you do not have to bait them

Jameo

What?!
MikeyBash said:

U could very well catch a few fish fly fishing there. I have no clue about what type of flies or what to use, but I've seen many people doing it.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
go to walmart

NO! Don't go to WalMart. They don't know there a$$ :moon:from the hole in the pond.
Go to the Tackle Box outside the main gate.

Midnightrider

The best all around lure for a brackish crrek like that would probably be a 1/8 oz beetle spin. If the fish aren't hitting them or the bite is slow, you can tip the hook with a little blood worm or a small piece of peeler crab. You will catch pearch and spot, with the occassional rockfish.

If you are going bass fishing (the ponds or St marys lake) the bettle spins will work there too, but I think hte best freshwater lure is a 2-3 inch rapala minow (the suspending type) all you have to do is pitch it out and reel it back in, stopping the retrieve occassionally.

you can get either at Kmart or Walmart

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Like was said earlier, beetle spins! White or yellow and (if you want to be sneaky) put a little squid strip behind it for a trailer. That rig will catch every perch in the creek,guaranteed!