Newborn Kitten Help??!!!

D

dems4me

I've taken on another stray not to long ago (don't worry Vria, it's not your cat Hillary) anyways I got her her shots and stuff and she is feline neg. I couldn't get her fixed because she was pregnant. She had four kittens last night during the tornado stuff - talk about being stressed. :lol: Anyways she has three that she was tending to but one was cold and skinny and she had separated it and was ignorning it. I have a cat that is nursing 4-5 week old kittens and had to litterally hold her down because she didn't want anything to do with the kitten smelling the stray cat's scent on it... the stray oddly is an alpha cat so she was scared. I held her down and warmed the kitten up while it was nursing on the other cat for about 30 seconds and put it with its siblings. This morning I woke up and she has hidden the kitten again and tending to the other three. Its a constant game of "hide-and-seek" with this poor kitten. I understand instinctively that the mother will separte the weaker or sicker one from the litter but this one is perfectly happy, screaming, scooting around on the floor kitten. I'm afraid that she'll hide it somewhere in the laundry or under a sofa cushion or something and I'll hurt it. Any suggestions please :frown: Also mother is not very attentive as most mothers are with their kittens. Usually the first 24 hours the mother stays with it more than what this cat is doing. Their bellies are all now full so I know they are being tended to. Just checked again and now she has put the kitten in an open drawer. Why is she doing this?

D

dems4me

Tard Hunter said:
It's nature's way, dumbass. A cat is smarter than you.

:huggy: thanks. but there is nothing wrong with this cat, crappyass.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dems4me

BuddyLee said:
Put a bell on it. :yay:

It's too small and sleeps most of the time at this age... they are only about 14 hours old. I've dedicated my day to keeping an eye on things here at the house.
Normally, I let nature take it's course whether it appears fine or not... but this one is a fighter and has stolen my heart :frown:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe the kitten looks like it's dad and the mom-cat has hard feelings?

No...no...can't be that. Probably because the kitten has something wrong with it - that's typically why cats shun a newborn kitten. If the other cat will wet nurse, that's great. But I wouldn't get too attached to that kitten, if you know what I mean.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
Maybe the kitten looks like it's dad and the mom-cat has hard feelings?

No...no...can't be that. Probably because the kitten has something wrong with it - that's typically why cats shun a newborn kitten. If the other cat will wet nurse, that's great. But I wouldn't get too attached to that kitten, if you know what I mean.

Thanks Vria... oddly it does resemble the father more than the other three... they are all still sleeping together. Unfortunately, it's too late, I've already gotten attached to the little thing. So far soo good still... I've already started thinking of a name for it - but not one that will stick as it will be placed in another home for folks to name.

Ponytail

FromTexas said:
Sounds like its a goner. Find a stray, starving Boa.... then you can save the snake.
why feed a perfectly healthy Snake, a sick kitten?

Dems...it's natures way. The kitten may SEEM fine to you, but if it survives, the cat will develop problems later on. Guaranteed. Pups are the same way.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Hey wait a minute. :tantrum

The kitten could have something wrong with it, but it could also just be the runt. You should start bottle feeding it and it needs to eat every two hours, they don't take much formula though. You need to keep it warm but indirect heat, not directly on a heating pad..place a towel between it and the kitten. You also need to stimulate the kitten to get it to urinate after each feeding. If you need help, pm me. I have a lot of experience at this. I was the orphaned kitten and puppy foster mother for the Montgomery County Humane Society prior to moving down here.

(By the way, my very first kitten I had as an adult started out the very same way and he lived to be a ripe old age.)

D

dems4me

Thanks

Thanks for all y'all's help. The kitten is indeed the runt and doing fine and momma cat no longer is hiding it or rejecting it. It did go to the bathroom without stimulation and things looked red or swollen on Saturday night. But once it releived itself - things have been on the up and up since. Don't know what happened or maybe it was answered prayers. Thanks!! Kitten is still tiny and now warm and with a happy belly the size of a quarter. :smile: Still not out of the woods, but doing much better than expected. :smile:

Im4Change -- it resembles Steve the australian animal man :shrug:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
If you continue to have trouble with momma leaving the kittens, get a big airline crate, and put her and the kittens, in a cardboard box with a blankie, and a small litter pan/food into it. She will be forced to stay with them and go nowhere else. Like Appy said, they need to be kept warm to digest their food.
Good luck and keep us posted!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Our Moosie was abandoned by his mother when he was only a couple weeks old. We brought him home and "Mommied" him and now he's the best cat I've ever had.

Good luck, Dems!