my travel...

dustin

UAIOE
I ain't tellin stories...but if anyone wants info on travelling to any of these places let me know and I will give you the skinny on what I know. Some I know more than others...

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Corfu, Greece
Khania, Crete (Greece)
Antalya, Turkey
Marmaris, Turkey
Ephesus, Turkey
Pamukkale, Turkey
Trieste, Italy
Venice, Italy
Naples, Italy
Rome, Italy
Palma, Spain
Tarragona, Spain (close to Barcelona)
Salou, Spain
Osaka, Japan
Hiroshima, Japan
Iwakuni, Japan
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Manama, Bahrain

probably some smaller sites/cities in Turkey which have historical importance that i can't remember...

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tell stories! What kind of visiting places are they? I think we can safely say that I'll never be interested in Bahrain or the UAE, but I've heard that Croatia and Turkey are actually places someone might want to visit.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I lived in Turkey when I was working for METU out of Kerkenes....despite what nasty things most folks have ingrained about Middle Eastern countries, this one is gorgeous!

The people are amongst the friendliest I've ever chanced to encounter, the scenery is lovely (moreso on the Western side and near the coastal areas), and there is just so much culture and history that you couldn't hope to see it all in a lifetime.

The best part is, it's incredibly cheap and easy to travel there. You can find a NICE hostel for under $6 a night--dinner and breakfast usually included. Everywhere in that country is linked by their extensive bus routes...equally inexpensive. Turkish food is incredible, and extremely affordable. Very safe, too---I travelled alone for 3 months and was treated like gold everywhere I went, especially in the more rural areas.

The only places you may run into trouble if you're thinking of going are the major cities and tourist areas (most of them are in the West).

I would avoid Izmir altogether.

You won't want to miss Istanbul, but be wary, especially around the crowded old-district which makes an appealing target for monsters looking to stir up chaos against Westerners. If you do head to Istanbul, I recommend a nice hotel just South of Hagia Sofia called "Karasu Green"---it's owned by a Turk who is married to an American woman, and they really go out of their way to see that you have a great time.

Other places not to miss (especially if you're a history buff) are Cannakale (which is where you need to go if you'd like to visit the ruins of Troy. It's also about 20 minutes from Gallipoli, if you're into WWI sites), Ephesus (The old Temple of Artemis was one of the 7 Wonders of the World, but the Great Library is still there--and not to be missed), Goreme (where you can see the breathtaking landscape of Cappadocia, and be exposed to a lot of Early Christian history)----and for craps and giggles (and since it's on the way) stop by Pamukkale and take a dip in the fizzy pools. Head South to the coast and you've got your pick of seaside villages. Over at Olympia you can climb the hills and see awesome natural firelights, and some well preserved ruins.

That's the Western side....if you wanted to go further East, Ankara is a good place to start. Lots of history there, and one of the nicest National museums in the country. From there you can go to the GREAT ruins of the Hittite capital "Bogazkale". I would also recommend day trips out to Chatter (a site about 3 hours South of Ankara), and Kerkenes Dag (About 30 minutes from Sorgun, in Yozgat). The dig teams there live with the common folk in tiny traditional villages...and are always happy to get visitors. They would be likely to throw a feast in your honor if you showed up, and it's a great way to immerse yourself in the culture.

If you were feeling really adventurous, you could go further East to Lake Van, which is beyond beautiful, but it's so close to the Iraq border (and is also deep in Kurd territory) it's honestly not the safest place to visit right now.

Anyway--this is a much longer post than I'd intended--but suffice it to say that Turkey is well worth a visit.

dustin

UAIOE
Club'nBabySeals said:
I lived in Turkey when I was working for METU out of Kerkenes....despite what nasty things most folks have ingrained about Middle Eastern countries, this one is gorgeous!

The people are amongst the friendliest I've ever chanced to encounter, the scenery is lovely (moreso on the Western side and near the coastal areas), and there is just so much culture and history that you couldn't hope to see it all in a lifetime.

The best part is, it's incredibly cheap and easy to travel there. You can find a NICE hostel for under $6 a night--dinner and breakfast usually included. Everywhere in that country is linked by their extensive bus routes...equally inexpensive. Turkish food is incredible, and extremely affordable. Very safe, too---I travelled alone for 3 months and was treated like gold everywhere I went, especially in the more rural areas.

The only places you may run into trouble if you're thinking of going are the major cities and tourist areas (most of them are in the West).

I would avoid Izmir altogether.

You won't want to miss Istanbul, but be wary, especially around the crowded old-district which makes an appealing target for monsters looking to stir up chaos against Westerners. If you do head to Istanbul, I recommend a nice hotel just South of Hagia Sofia called "Karasu Green"---it's owned by a Turk who is married to an American woman, and they really go out of their way to see that you have a great time.

Other places not to miss (especially if you're a history buff) are Cannakale (which is where you need to go if you'd like to visit the ruins of Troy. It's also about 20 minutes from Gallipoli, if you're into WWI sites), Ephesus (The old Temple of Artemis was one of the 7 Wonders of the World, but the Great Library is still there--and not to be missed), Goreme (where you can see the breathtaking landscape of Cappadocia, and be exposed to a lot of Early Christian history)----and for craps and giggles (and since it's on the way) stop by Pamukkale and take a dip in the fizzy pools. Head South to the coast and you've got your pick of seaside villages. Over at Olympia you can climb the hills and see awesome natural firelights, and some well preserved ruins.

That's the Western side....if you wanted to go further East, Ankara is a good place to start. Lots of history there, and one of the nicest National museums in the country. From there you can go to the GREAT ruins of the Hittite capital "Bogazkale". I would also recommend day trips out to Chatter (a site about 3 hours South of Ankara), and Kerkenes Dag (About 30 minutes from Sorgun, in Yozgat). The dig teams there live with the common folk in tiny traditional villages...and are always happy to get visitors. They would be likely to throw a feast in your honor if you showed up, and it's a great way to immerse yourself in the culture.

If you were feeling really adventurous, you could go further East to Lake Van, which is beyond beautiful, but it's so close to the Iraq border (and is also deep in Kurd territory) it's honestly not the safest place to visit right now.

Anyway--this is a much longer post than I'd intended--but suffice it to say that Turkey is well worth a visit.

:yeahthat: I concurr!

I've never been to Istanbul, but I hear to guard your wallet/purse extremly well.

Don't mess with any of their statues...especially the one with single man on it. That dude is like our George Washington to them. Expect to go to jail if you deface it. I cant remember the dude's name...

Don't buy any drugs from there (watch Midnight Express for a training video)

Ephesus was awesome! I highly recommend it...there are lots of opportunities for photos...Pamukkale is pretty cool to check out as well.

Like CBS said, everything is cheap there, especially the more rural you get. when you get close to tourist towns expect to pay more...

If you stay along the western coastline (except for the far south)..the inland areas look really simillar to say...West Va...but with the occasional Romanesque background of ruins and aquaducts

Marble is really cheap there....they have these HUGE stripmines....a hotel we stayed had these really small rooms and cheap beds, but the bathroom was covered in marble (cept for the tub and crapper)

You can get some HUGE handmade turkish rugs and a decent price. I recommend taking a guided tour through one of the businesses that still employs turkish women that handmake them. Its really impressive to see what they do!

If you plan on going on a cruiseline, and were able to choose between the ports of Antalya and Marmaris, I would choose Marmaris.

I hear the Turkish bathrobes are really nice (good cotton) but I never got a chance to check them out.

You can find these Turkish bathhouses where inside there are all these hot baths in mineral water...i didnt get to go to that either but its supposed to be quite an experience!

Last edited:

dustin

UAIOE
Dubrovnik was really nice. I only got to spend two days there. Just dont go "exploring" on the mountainside or you might end up in peices from a leftover landmine.

The city is really old, reminded me of an old castle/fort or something...but with no castle...lol....nice photo ops..

cheap food

friendly people!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
vraiblonde said:
Tell stories! What kind of visiting places are they? I think we can safely say that I'll never be interested in Bahrain or the UAE, but I've heard that Croatia and Turkey are actually places someone might want to visit.
Actually, I've heard the UAE is one of the most beautiful countries on Earth...
I think Dustin told me that. :lol:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Outside the US, I've only been to

Rome, Italy (less than a day)
Florence, Italy (a week)
Pisa, Italy (less than a day)
Grand Cayman Island (less than a day)
Playa del Carma and the Mayan City of Tulum (less than a day)

Inside the US, I've been to

Jacksonville, FL
St. Augustine, FL
St. Petersburg, FL
Cape Canaveral, FL
Cocoa Beach, FL
Orlando, FL
New Orleans, LA
McAllen, TX
San Antonio, TX
Dallas, TX
Ft. Worth, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
San Jose, CA
Monterey Bay, CA
Santa Clara, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Seattle, OR
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Washington DC
Baltimore, MD
Southern MD :lol:
Stratford, CT
Bridgeport, CT
Shelton, CT
Monmouth, NJ
New York City, NY
Webster, NY
Rochester, NY
Cincinnati, OH
Dayton, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Lafayette & West Lafayette, IN
Terre Haute, IN
Bloomington, IN
Evansville, IN
Chicago, IL
St. Louis, MO

...hmmmm... think that's mostly it, aside from all podunk towns inbetween.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
Outside the US, I've only been to

Rome, Italy (less than a day)
Florence, Italy (a week)
Pisa, Italy (less than a day)
Grand Cayman Island (less than a day)
Playa del Carma and the Mayan City of Tulum (less than a day)

Inside the US, I've been to

Jacksonville, FL
St. Augustine, FL
St. Petersburg, FL
Cape Canaveral, FL
Cocoa Beach, FL
Orlando, FL
New Orleans, LA
McAllen, TX
San Antonio, TX
Dallas, TX
Ft. Worth, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
San Jose, CA
Monterey Bay, CA
Santa Clara, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Seattle, OR
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Washington DC
Baltimore, MD
Southern MD :lol:
Stratford, CT
Bridgeport, CT
Shelton, CT
Monmouth, NJ
New York City, NY
Webster, NY
Rochester, NY
Cincinnati, OH
Dayton, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Lafayette & West Lafayette, IN
Terre Haute, IN
Bloomington, IN
Evansville, IN
Chicago, IL
St. Louis, MO

...hmmmm... think that's mostly it, aside from all podunk towns inbetween.
You're cool.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
dustin said:
Does anyone have some interesting travel stories or recommendations?

Costa Rica!!! Rented a house there last Feb. with two other couples. Beautiful 3 bedroom with pool, $1200 a week. Driver picked us up at the airport, took us everywhere we wanted to go for the week!! Monkeys came down the mountain and played by the pool every evening, (while we were in it!!). Lots of Americans lived in the town, and owned businesses. Steak dinner was around $4.00 a person. Animals, (sloths, monkeys, strange looking racoons, etc.) would actually walk up to you while you are on the beach. They do not hunt there, so the animals are very friendly. Beautiful beaches!! Mostly everything was in walking distance, but if we were too lazy to walk back up the mountain to our house, we took a cab for $1.00. Would highly recommend it to anyone.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I've always been quite enthalled with Bakersfield, but, then, that's just me......And nobody should miss Yuma, Arizona or El Centro, California. These are some of the finer places I have spent time in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Outside the US, I've only been to Jamaica, the Bahamas and Canada. I like it here stateside and there's so much to see and do, I have no real desire to go overseas.

I'd have to put San Antonio as my favorite vacation spot so far. :yay:

dustin

UAIOE
harleygirl said:
Costa Rica!!! Rented a house there last Feb. with two other couples. Beautiful 3 bedroom with pool, $1200 a week. Driver picked us up at the airport, took us everywhere we wanted to go for the week!! Monkeys came down the mountain and played by the pool every evening, (while we were in it!!). Lots of Americans lived in the town, and owned businesses. Steak dinner was around $4.00 a person. Animals, (sloths, monkeys, strange looking racoons, etc.) would actually walk up to you while you are on the beach. They do not hunt there, so the animals are very friendly. Beautiful beaches!! Mostly everything was in walking distance, but if we were too lazy to walk back up the mountain to our house, we took a cab for $1.00. Would highly recommend it to anyone.
How are the guerillas there? Or none at all?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
harleygirl said:
Lots of animals=lots of animal poop....