Trail Riding

HeatherUSNWife

I was wondering if anyone here on the forums does trail rides, or knows a place in So. MD that does.

My oldest daughter is going to be 10 Nov. 4th, and she has been in love with horses since she could crawl. However, she has never actually ridden on anything more than a pony in a circle.

For her birthday this year, we would like to give her a 1 hour trail ride (with my husband going along too).

I have found places online that offer lessons over extended periods, but none that we can take her to for a nice ride.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We know this would be the perfect gift for her.

Thanks!

HeatherUSNWife

:(
I just looked and under requirements it says riders must be 12 years of age....
She will be 10 , but she is 5'1" tall...maybe I can fib? LOL
Or, I will just keep looking.....but thank you!

K

Katie

happyappygirl said:
He's currently down sizing...not going out of business.

I didn't know that...oops...I rode with him earlier in the summer.

darn now I need to find another place to get my horse fix.

HeatherUSNWife

I just tried to PM you happyappygirl, but your box is full!! Could you let me know when you clear some space and I can send it??

Thank you!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Trail rides

Even though I keep horses in Chares COunty, I seldom did any trail riding here before I got my horses! Here are two suggestions for you and your daughter:

Take a nice day trip up to the Harper's Ferry area (took me about an hour to get there from Waldorf), leaves should be pretty about now, lovely country. Try Elk Mountain Trails (www.elkmountaintrails.com) - I took an hour ride last year in early October - just so pretty. Their horses are good trail horses, and they have all levels. They even have helmets to borrow. Cost me $35, I think. (THen I went river rafting at River Riders, got one of the last rides of the season!) You could pack a picnic lunch and stop along the river after horseback riding to eat it. It is a nice place to make a day out of, lots of outdoor recreation and parks.

Or you could try Greenway Stables in Aldie, VA (www.greenwaystables.com). Again, from Waldof, it took me about an hour and 20 mins to get out there. It is right on Route 50. I used to ride there when I first moved down here from NJ. They allow you to take the horses out on your own though, I'd ask if you could have a guide for an hour before making reservations. If you continue out on Route 50, you could have lunch in Leesburg, wander up Route 15, see some really lovely horse country and farms.

Good luck - hope you can get some rides in during this nice fall weather!

A-

ElliesMom

Piscataway only does weekends, and they (Last time I knew) were not doing it much (liability issues). Call first!