Pontiac Grand Prix

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Good or bad? If you've ever owned a Grand Prix or even a Pontiac, would you purchase another? Why or why not? Any input would be great. TIA! :kiss:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ememdee19 said:
Good or bad? If you've ever owned a Grand Prix or even a Pontiac, would you purchase another? Why or why not? Any input would be great. TIA! :kiss:
I can never keep them straight.. the Grand Pr1cks or the Grand Am.. but a friend of mine in school had one (PRETTY sure it was a G Pr1cks).. it had about 60,000 miles on it, and it was falling apart around her.. buy a BMW 7 Series.. you'll be much happier!!

Vince

Had a 1978 Pontiac Pheonix. Loved that car. Traded it in after 6 years for a family car. Should have kept the car and traded the wife. :killingme

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I have an 02 Grand Prix GTP, and it's an awesome car!

The GT is normally aspirated, and the GTP has a Supercharger. Both models have a 3.8L V-6 which is rather bulletproof.

What Year/Model/Mileage do you have your eye on?

Oh - and YES I would definitely buy another... (I wonder if I'm one of CMC's friends..???)

Warron

I don't know much about the current ones, but I had a 1989 grand prix for 11 years and it still ran fine when I traded it in. The power steering went out at about the 9 year mark, but that was the only major repair I ever had to do. I traded it in mainly because the headliner was starting to fall down and the drivers seat was starting to wear through. But I didn't think that was bad for 11 years.

K

Kizzy

I had a 1985 Grand Prix. GAWD I loved that car. It was white with red velvet interior. Sweet ride but it had rear wheel drive. :ohwell: I had to sell it and get something with at least front wheel drive.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Oz said:
I have an 02 Grand Prix GTP, and it's an awesome car!

The GT is normally aspirated, and the GTP has a Supercharger. Both models have a 3.8L V-6 which is rather bulletproof.

What Year/Model/Mileage do you have your eye on?

Oh - and YES I would definitely buy another... (I wonder if I'm one of CMC's friends..???)

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

I'm looking at the 2004 GT1 Model. Any input on that? I don't know anybody who owns a Pontiac, so I really need some help here.

Warron

IM4Change said:
Sweet ride but it had rear wheel drive. :ohwell: I had to sell it and get something with at least front wheel drive.

I was reading in Car and Driver a while ago that with the current trend in higher horsepower, torque, and more computer control in cars, the advantages of front wheel drive are going away. They said they expect more and more cars to return to rear wheel drive over the next few years.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
ememdee19 said:
Thanks for the replies, everybody.

I'm looking at the 2004 GT1 Model. Any input on that? I don't know anybody who owns a Pontiac, so I really need some help here.

My wife drives one... Nice Car! GM took my 2002 GTP that I love, and made it BETTER! Buy it! Plus, the General is offering 0% for 72 months right now too!

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Oz said:
My wife drives one... Nice Car! GM took my 2002 GTP that I love, and made it BETTER! Buy it! Plus, the General is offering 0% for 72 months right now too!

That's another reason I'm interested. We're qualified for that, and they're gonna give me a good deal on my trade. So, I assume you've had no problems with the car? I've read a few reviews and the biggest gripe I've read is uncomfortable backseats.

I guess I would never know about that, though. :whistle:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
ememdee19 said:
That's another reason I'm interested. We're qualified for that, and they're gonna give me a good deal on my trade. So, I assume you've had no problems with the car? I've read a few reviews and the biggest gripe I've read is uncomfortable backseats.

I guess I would never know about that, though. :whistle:

She has almost 10,000 miles on it in about 6 months, and no problems...

Thanks for the backseat suggestion - although I doubt if I report back on that one... :angel:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I just got rid of my 1992 Grand Prix... had over 205,000 miles on it.

The engine had to be replaced at around 90,000 miles - I think the engine block cracked - but from what I was told, that was a problem for a lot of Grand Prix's from that year.

Anyway, aside from that, which was about a thousand dollar repair bill (thank God for family mechanics!), I loved the car. And if you can go 200K+ miles with the way I drive, that's the sign of a good car.

The only thing that consistently annoyed me was the guages on the dash kept going bad and the alternator had to be replaced every 2 years - something to do with a faulty computer design. Luckily all the alternators I bought had a 3 year warranty! :cheers:

After about the 180,000 mile mark, it got real expensive to maintain. But most people don't keep them that long anymore.

I drive a '98 Grand Am w/2.4L 4cyl.

155,000 miles. Love it. Other than wrecks, it has never been in the shop (for more than 1 day) for anything other than having the AC compressor clutch replaced. Last winter the "check engine" light came on a couple of times and it was the EGR valve needing to be replaced/cleaned. Never had it replaced, had it cleaned twice, the last time it came on, I told my mechanic it was on and I would just drive it till he could find a used good condition EGR valve for me. It went out on it's own a day or 2 later.
Never had the motor opened up, never had the tranny serviced (looked into it at one point and was told to leave it alone), had the front suspension bushings replaced 2 years ago, need to have the rear ones done now. Just do routine maint. (brakes,plugs and oil). Need to replace a front caliper right now, but other than that, no issues. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT. It has 114,000 miles on it! I love it. It's never been in the shop, except for regular maintenance. I'd buy another, but I don't really like the new body style.

K

Kizzy

Pete said:
Ken,
There is a El Camino on the south bound side of 235 just south of Capt. Leonards with a for sale sign in the window. :whistle:

He has one already.