Hay Hay Hay

AMP

Jersey attitude.
It's that time of year again (actually I am getting a little late). What's everyone paying for hay, delivered? Square bales, 40-50 lbs? A fellow boarder had someone bring a wagonload of bales for $2.50 a bale, but we could not tell if it was straw or hay (either got wet or was left int he field too long) so we sent it back. And my round bales are uncertain, so I gotta get hay! :ohwell: I am in the north end of Charles County, and would not mind paying $2.50 - $3 a 50lb bale delivered if it is quality hay (not talking alfalfa or straight timothy here, just nice hay). Would need about 200 bales, and have to stack it myself so scheduling poses a bit of a problem unless someone can leave a wagonload and come back for the wagon later.

Where I board, until last year this all used to be taken care of. Now we have to get our own hay and buy our own feed.

TIA for any suggestions of who to purchase from; have not been doing this long enough to know who is good on a consistent basis. Would rather go local than go in with the rest of the boarders and bring in hay from PA. :crazy:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
appyday said:
I have 150 bales of 2nd cutting orchard grass coming tomorrow at almost $4.50 per bale. Good clean hay everytime but a little pricey I think. They are taking NO new customers.

Well rats on the no new customers. :smile: That seems a bit high to me too, even tho that would be what I am looking for. This year we have had some odd weather, so I've no clue what to expect in terms of prices. Or even quality! Case in point - A gal had some delivered AND stacked in the barn over the weekend, it looks and smells nice, told our foreman she paid $1.50 per bale (she only got about 100). Then there was that wagon load of $2.50 bales which looked horrible.

My horses get fat on air, so no alfalfa for them unless they really start to drift this winter.

Thanks appyday, it at least gives me an idea of pricing!

D

dems4me

what's the going rate for hay at southern states :shrug: