Computer Deal!

Boogieman117

A Busy Busy Guy
I'm thinking about grabbing a newer laptop.

My problem is that I have a desktop (1 yr old) that I'd like to get rid of.

So the deal:
Old cpu specs:
Gateway made, 900 MHZ P III w/ 256 RAM, 20 GB Hard Drive, 2 speakers, logitech web cam, microphone, 5 USB ports, and NIC. **completely stock no add-ons**

I'd like to get rid of it for about $700-900

Hopeful New Laptop:
http://saveateaglestore.site.yahoo.net/compres1215u.html#

Basic Idea: 700+ MHZ, 256 RAM, network Card, and DVD/CD-RW drive..

that simple!!! If anyone can find something with those guidelines, please email me!!

--Boogieman

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Boogieman117
So the deal:
Old cpu specs:
Gateway made, 900 MHZ P III w/ 256 RAM, 20 GB Hard Drive, 2 speakers, logitech web cam, microphone, 5 USB ports, and NIC. **completely stock no add-ons**

I'd like to get rid of it for about $700-900

I'd say you'll probably need to go about half of that - $350 for the computer you're selling. Considering that you can get a pretty nice and *new* P4 from Gateway/Dell for $699 with monitor and everything. The only thing that would drive the price up is if you had an LCD to go with it, or you find a newbie to sell it to.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Fenrir51
If your good with computers you can build your own, Saves alot of money if you know what your doing.

used to save a lot of money...
with computers as cheap as they are nowadays... it's worth buying new...

plus... when you buy new... you actually have legal copies of all your software...

Y

yornoc

If your good with computers you can build your own, Saves alot of money if you know what your doing.

Another good result of building your own is getting exactly what you want. Sometimes you end up spending more though (if you go for the top-of-the-line components).

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...

This is a valid point, only if you don't need an Office Suite, like Microsoft Office. If you need a suite with Word or Excel, then it's probably cheaper to go with a Dell or Gateway with the software pre-loaded.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by vicos
Like someone else said, you can get a brand new 2GHz P4 with a 17" monitor, a legal license of Windows XP and a 1-year warranty for $640. Wal-Mart is already offering a $200 PC. PC's are quickly becoming appliances.

Amen to that! Buy today, half-price tomorrow, and obsolete the next day!

yakky doodle

same deal; faster laptop

I'm in the same boat. I want to buy a new laptop, but not looking to ditch my year-old desktop. I found this deal on Amazon. I'm not sure what your price range is, but this laptop appears to pack in everything I want in a laptop and then some. I'm curious if anyone can make any recommendations for/against Compaq's laptops? I have a Compaq Presario desktop, and so far, so good.

Here's the deal:

Compaq Presario 1525US Notebook PC

Price: $1,899.00
Mail-In Rebates: $200.00
Price After Rebates: $1,699.00

Features:
2.40 GHz Intel Pentium 4
512 MB DDR DRAM
40 GB Hard Disk
CD-RW: Included; DVD-ROM: 8x;
Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Works 6.0,Microsoft Money 2001,InterVideo WinDVD,Norton Antivirus 2002
15.0 inch active-matrix display
7.0 pounds

The rebates are not in exchange for internet access (one is $100 w/Amazon; the other $100 w/Compaq). $1699 doesn't sound bad too me! Looking at the computer Boogieman was looking at, this appears to be a much better system for not too much more money. Check it out Boogieman. :smile:

H

Heretic

Computers today just are not becoming obsolete as fast as they use too. In the early 90's you could tell the difference between a 50 mHz and 66 mHz computer and the top of the line computers chugged along with some of the software. I still have a PII 266 that gets the job done quite nicely. Processing power keeps increasing and increasing but this is about the first time that it really doesn't need to for the average PC user.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Not to mention that you can install more RAM and keep an old computer humming along. 4 Seconds to load Outlook Express on my P3-650 versus 3 seconds on my P4-1800 isn't a noticeable difference.

I definitely advocate maxing out the RAM in any computer you own, because you are rewarded with speed when you do that.

Warron

3d gamers are about the only ones that need a fast machine these days. Theres not really a big difference between my old 400 MHz machine and my 1GHz machine for most purposes. But stick in one of the new 3d games and the difference jumps out at you big time. These new games look incredible, but the requirements keep going up and up.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by yornoc
Another good result of building your own is getting exactly what you want.

And that is exactly what we did. We chose to build our own. Got alot of stuff off ebay. It worked GREAT! No virus' or any problems. And it did not cost that much. We went and bought the motherboard and CPU from Alliance, who have really good deals alot of times. Now, here we are with a good computer. Its still dial-up (cant have cable where we live) but eh, I am still here.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
As an owner of a DEC 333i+ D-P2 workstation... Memory makes a world of difference. PII's will fly with 512Mb in the bus!

SCSI-3 doesn't hurt either.

:biggrin: