What kind of pet???

fttrsbeerwench

I am considering aquiring a pet after 4 years with out one....I lost my dog and have not been able to think of getting another one since. I have two kids now, so I am unsure what would be practical..????

I am pretty much a dog person, but I was thinking of a bird.... HMMMM, Maybe a chinchilla*.
My kids need a pet, so I think it may be time..

Any ideas??

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Birds are cool, but live forever and are pretty high maintenance with messy cages, etc... Just be sure you know what you're getting into if you choose to go that route.

sockgirl77

fttrsbeerwench said:
I am considering aquiring a pet after 4 years with out one....I lost my dog and have not been able to think of getting another one since. I have two kids now, so I am unsure what would be practical..????

I am pretty much a dog person, but I was thinking of a bird.... HMMMM, Maybe a chinchilla*.

Any ideas??
fish

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Nanny Pam said:
A Poodle. :cheers:

Doesn't shed, non-alergic, sweet heart of a dog.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. :peace:

:yeahthat: and they NEVER jump up on the table either! :yay:

:neener:

I'm partial to beagles, myself. Great dogs, temperment of a lab but 1/4 of the size. :biggrin:

fttrsbeerwench

Hmmmm..

crabcake said:
:yeahthat: and they NEVER jump up on the table either! :yay:

:neener:

I'm partial to beagles, myself. Great dogs, temperment of a lab but 1/4 of the size. :biggrin:

That might work!! I had a coon dog and a bassett once.. Poodles are snotty looking dogs...I want something rough and tumble, Like me!!

Does anyone one know anything about SHIBA INU....IT's a beautiful breed but I hear they are WILD!!!

dgates

Pepper's Pet Pantry Webby
Pure bred dogs are cool, though expensive. Consider a rescue dog, perhaps an older dog. There are major advantages, in that they are often housebroken, sometimes trained, and you will be helping far more than the dog you take home in that your adoption fee will help support the rest of the pets in the rescue.

BUT! Pets are NOT disposable, be sure you are ready to accept the responsibility to look after the pet for the rest of it's life!

-- Don Gates

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
No birds... They are not family pets.

You need a pet that will fall asleep on the couch with your kids while they're watching a movie. A real companion. Birds are not companions. That narrows your choices to dogs or cats. While I would love to have a dog, I don't want the burden of walking it, and don't have the time for outdoor play that every dog deserves. So, I prefer cats. They use the litterbox. They can play indoors. And they love being the queen of the house. If you select a cat or kitten, be careful not to get one who hides from people. The first few we saw when we were looking for a new kitten tried to run under the furniture, and hide from people and activity. The kitten we chose was resting in her "cage" and when we walked up she looked out and meow'd at us. She was and is very social. She sits on my lap when I watch TV, on my desk when I'm working on the computer, and literally sleeps on my head every night. When company visits, she's right in the middle of the action, or close enough to monitor everything that goes on. Dogs are still the best, but given my schedule, a cat was a better choice.

Good luck!

PS. Personally, I recommend immediately replacing a pet when you lose one. Too many animals need a good home. To let yourself be sad over pet-loss only makes you very miserable. But you can quickly turn that personal misery over pet loss that we all put ourselves through, into love for a new, cute little puppy or kitten.

Christy

b*tch rocket
fttrsbeerwench said:

Any ideas??
Depending on how much time you spend at home, you may want to consider two dogs, that way they can keep each other company while you are away during the day. :yay:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Sharon said:
Good choice!

After the newness wears off it won't need any extra cost or care. :yay:

I think I'll go to McKays and ask Santa for one for xmas.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Oz said:
No birds... They are not family pets.

Birds are not good family pets, but they are good companions. Depending on the bird, it may not out live you, but most large birds will.

K

Kizzy

Cleaning out bird cages, hamster cages, gerbil cages, rabbit cages or other similiar animals cage is nasty and gross.

I'd stick to a cat or a dog.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Kizzy said:
Cleaning out bird cages, hamster cages, gerbil cages, rabbit cages or other similiar animals cage is nasty and gross.

I'd stick to a cat or a dog.

This is worse than a litter box, how?

K

Kizzy

If you use a liner in a litter box, you just grab the ends and you are done. With cages, there is crap everywhere, and there have been times I have had to take the cages apart to get them clean, crap in the food bowls on the toys inside, yuck.