Swim Lessons

smile

I have a three and a half year old that I would like to get swim lessons.  Does anyone know of anyone who teaches privates or where there is a class offered that will teach them at that age?  All of the classes that I have seen don't offer them until 5.  My parents own a pool and if someone teaches privates I would like to have them there, whether during the day or in the evenings, either is fine.

Missi's idea is a good one.  Check with local pools, King's Landing in Huntingtown for example.  Some instructors may have an insurance liability issue with teaching in your pool.  

amysueb

private swim lessons

I have 3 kids(an almost 5 year old, 3 1/2 year old and a 17mo old). I want to have the 2 older ones take swim lessons - they have never taken them yet, but I can't go into the water with them because I have the baby with me. So I believe the lessons at Kings Landing (public lessons are out). Does any one know of a private lessons taught at someone's home anywhere from around the huntingtown to Lusby area that can teach my older ones while I keep the baby busy (I would be willing to go alittle bit further if there aren't any teachers in this area)?

onebdzee

off the shelf
amysueb said:
I have 3 kids(an almost 5 year old, 3 1/2 year old and a 17mo old). I want to have the 2 older ones take swim lessons - they have never taken them yet, but I can't go into the water with them because I have the baby with me. So I believe the lessons at Kings Landing (public lessons are out). Does any one know of a private lessons taught at someone's home anywhere from around the huntingtown to Lusby area that can teach my older ones while I keep the baby busy (I would be willing to go alittle bit further if there aren't any teachers in this area)?

Does your 17 month old all ready know how to swim?....If not, why are you not wanting lessons for him/her?

SeaRide

I took my 6 months old son to swim class when I was living in VA. Of course I had to be in the pool with my son which was part of the requirement for the class. I enjoyed it so much that I kept going until my son was able to swim to wherever he wants to go in the pool and he was only few years old. By the time my son was four or five, he was bouncing off the diving board. No worries.

amysueb

I still haven't decided whether I will have the baby take swim lessons or not - right now he is afraid of even going into the pool!

I would really like to know the name and number of a private swim instructor in my area if anyone knows of one please let me know. Thank you.

N

nitwhit3286

There definitely needs to be a swim school around here. I would love to teach kids how to swim, adults even. I think I would need actual qualifications to teach children though. I know I need to get my CPR recertified and first aid basics class all over again. I don't know how long before the first aid certification expires. If I get around to doing all that, I will let ya know!

N

nitwhit3286

SeaRide said:
I took my 6 months old son to swim class when I was living in VA. Of course I had to be in the pool with my son which was part of the requirement for the class. I enjoyed it so much that I kept going until my son was able to swim to wherever he wants to go in the pool and he was only few years old. By the time my son was four or five, he was bouncing off the diving board. No worries.

where did you take him in Va? A rec center class or dive quarters or tri-city aquatics center?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
nitwhit3286 said:
There definitely needs to be a swim school around here. I would love to teach kids how to swim, adults even. I think I would need actual qualifications to teach children though. I know I need to get my CPR recertified and first aid basics class all over again. I don't know how long before the first aid certification expires. If I get around to doing all that, I will let ya know!
My best friend was a swim instructor when we were in high school (in addition to being lifeguard and pool manager) at the La Plata High School pool. You'll need all your certifications...she needed first aid, cpr, and lifeguard, at the least. The pool also required that she take classes on pool care/maintenance, and of course the swim instructor classes. Usually you take those classes before applying for the job, so get busy. :lol:

N

nitwhit3286

Nickel said:
My best friend was a swim instructor when we were in high school (in addition to being lifeguard and pool manager) at the La Plata High School pool. You'll need all your certifications...she needed first aid, cpr, and lifeguard, at the least. The pool also required that she take classes on pool care/maintenance, and of course the swim instructor classes. Usually you take those classes before applying for the job, so get busy. :lol:

holy cow!! Yeah I know they offer those classes on base..I have a lifeguard friend and I think that is where he said he took them...yeah I guess I need to jump on it..pronto!

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
nitwhit3286 said:
holy cow!! Yeah I know they offer those classes on base..I have a lifeguard friend and I think that is where he said he took them...yeah I guess I need to jump on it..pronto!
Yeah, get on that sh*t quick so that you can get off the damn internet.

N

nitwhit3286

CMC122 said:
The pool in Great Mills has lots of classes for kids of all ages.

If the lifeguards are the ones teaching the kids how to swim.. i feel sorry for the children. The lifeguards are verbally abusive..well at least a couple of them. Mr. Curly haired lifeguard man "We want you! for the US Army"

ljcwebster

Contact your local Red Cross office, they have lists of every certified Water Safety Instructor (swim teacher) in your area. The Southern Maryland Chapter has offices in Prince Frederick and LaPlata.

S

sportspartier

I have a three and a half year old that I would like to get swim lessons.  Does anyone know of anyone who teaches privates or where there is a class offered that will teach them at that age?  All of the classes that I have seen don't offer them until 5.  My parents own a pool and if someone teaches privates I would like to have them there, whether during the day or in the evenings, either is fine.

The teacher that teaches my children teaches group lessons at Hickory Hills for anyone/everyone and i know she teaches group lessons, if you provide the pool.

301-863-8271 is the # to get more info about the awesome lessons offered at Hickory Hills

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The teacher that teaches my children teaches group lessons at Hickory Hills for anyone/everyone and i know she teaches group lessons, if you provide the pool.

301-863-8271 is the # to get more info about the awesome lessons offered at Hickory Hills
Um...you DO realize that the child in question is now 9 or 10, right? They've probably learned to swim by now.

Last edited: