Dumb as a brick

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Teen sues Burger King because of strip search

By Shannon Tan

October 10, 2002

A former Burger King worker filed a federal lawsuit against her employer Wednesday over a prank call that led a supervisor to strip-search her.

According to the suit, the employee, then 15, was working part time at a Burger King in Pendleton on Dec. 17 when a caller claiming to be a policeman asked if there was a girl working the front counter.

The caller told the supervisor he was investigating the alleged theft of a purse by an employee. Following instructions from the caller, the supervisor, who is not a defendant in the suit, allegedly told the teen to remove all of her clothes.

Part of the search was conducted in front of a male co-worker, and other employees could see into the room, according to the lawsuit.

The supervisor was asked by the caller to describe the girl's hair color and length, as well as her tan lines. (I wonder if the idiot supervisor did it?)

A manager at the restaurant in Pendleton on Wednesday night said she was unfamiliar with the alleged incident and would not comment.

According to the suit, the teenager suffered extreme emotional distress, humiliation and embarrassment. The search ended after her father came to give her a ride home.

It is unknown whether a police report was filed.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission investigated and determined there was cause to believe she was discriminated against.

Other similar phone pranks were reported that day.

Noblesville police were called to an Arby's restaurant after a call there. The female manager told police she took a 17-year-old employee to the women's restroom and conducted the search. Police said a Noblesville Burger King restaurant received a similar call, but the manager refused to cooperate and hung up.
~~~~~~~
Unbelievable that the stupid supervisor would do this over a phone call. Hopefully Dad gave her a lesson on her rights and the super a punch in the nose.

J

justhangn

UFB!! People ignorance will never cease to amaze and sicken me.

I hope the father gave the manager an attitude adjustment!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I'm sorry but no matter who I work for, I would NEVER take my clothes off for them. Unless I see a policman with a warrant, screw them. Even at 15 I knew my rights. I can't believe she fell for it.

B

Bruzilla

I just can't stop thinking about that a-hole burger place manager in the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." The part where he comes out and fires Judge Reinhold for using foul language in front of an annoying customer... you know it's scary how many of those guys are really out here. :biggrin:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by jeneisen
I'm sorry but no matter who I work for, I would NEVER take my clothes off for them. Unless I see a policman with a warrant, screw them. Even at 15 I knew my rights. I can't believe she fell for it.

It's difficult to read this, see the little smiley-guy mooning me on the bottom of your message, and then take your comments seriously.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Why is it so hard to believe that I wouldn't strip my clothes off at work? I leave the mooning to the smileys so I don't have to do it.

J

justhangn

Lets face it, the manager obviously has a screw loose or something. Why would you make the chickie strip down if the person stole a purse? A simple patdown seems to be enough to tell if she had the purse or not.

K

KBlues

How stupid.

She is probably a relative of the woman who wrote the $1.04 check last night at CVS...: smile:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by jeneisen

True the manager may have neen an a-hole. But the kid was prolly scared. And did not want to loose their job. Hindsight is 20/20 but still, I can understand regardless why the kid did it. Although...it was wrong. I feel bad for the kid.

watercolor

yeah yeah
WHATEVER!!

This kid may not be the brightest color in the box, but considering at the certain cirrcumstance, they were probably scared crapless.

Also, we dont know waht kind of concious this kid was holding...or maybe they had other issues...or maybe...I could go on and on forever.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Because in those times it was "ok" to paddle as punishment....hell, when I was in pre-k I was threatened with paddling. Not that it was right, and when I told my mother that they were thinking this, she quickly re-thought the pre-school. But obviously now, its politically incorrect.

Like I said, yes...it was completly wrong, but there may have been some other issues surrounding this. Mainly probably fear of loosing their job if they did not comply...now the outcome is...and the revelation has been shown to this kid it was not ok.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Since it's germaine to the topic!

Attachments

• kid discipline.jpg
    kid discipline.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 89

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by bknarw
Since it's germaine to the topic!
:barf: Gee, that's a little over the edge, no? Given today's culture, the parents I've talked to are scared sh**tless about disciplining children. I suppose we've gone around about 180 degrees from when I was a kid. I had my butt whipped a few times, some deserved, some not. Parents get frustrated too. I'm of the opinion you do not have to beat your kids; what is important I think, is that the kids understand when it's NOT a game. You're trying to send a message, give a lesson, whatever, and your child is looking back at you with this grin, expecting you to smile at any moment. Guess what? No message received!
penncam