Anyone into Canoeing?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Late last summer my sons wanted a canoe, but rather than storing it all winter I decided to wait until this Spring to see if they were still interested.  Anyone with experience on buying a canoe?  I'm looking for a 2 or 3-man size that will be used on the lake (at first) and it will need to be light enough to transport on top of the Surburban.  When they are experienced canoers I may also let them take it to the bay beach or the Patuxent River.  Do canoes have to be registered or licensed for use on the river/bay?  Any tips would be appreciated.  Where in SOMD do you buy a canoe?  I've checked web stores but I would like to purchase in person and my budget would be around $1000.  Don't laugh, once the novelty has worn off it will be the most expensive planter in my yard, j/k! :lol:  

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Have you thought about a kayak instead?  Cheaper, lighter and easier to maneuver.  There's a store called Blue Wind across from the Wal-Mart in St. Mary's.  They sell kayaks and the guy there knows a lot about it.  You can also pick up used equipment for pretty cheap by checking the classifieds and the PennySaver.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sharon,

Maybe instead of buying a canoe you should contact one of the state parks about renting one for the day.  That way you can see if the kids have an interest before laying out big bucks for a yard planter.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Their friend has a kayak and often (in the summer) came over to our beach from his beach in Cove Point.  They said they would rather have a canoe so they could use it together (twins) or with a friend.  Also, it would be hard to fish from a kayak.  The sportsman's club we belong to has a shooting range and a lake.  We spent our afternoons there last summer during the week doing some target practice and then swimming.  There was a small jon boat (I think that's what it's called) that they often would paddle around the lake in.  I don't know who it belonged to, but they really enjoyed using it.  If they had their own they could use it here at home and other places where I could take them for some variety.  They say they are still interested in getting one so I figured it was time to get started into looking around.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Okay the kids are already interested in the activity.  Have you thought about the portaboat.  It folds up for ease of moving and storage and if you believe it or not it is a hell of a lot more stable then your typical canoe.  Their site is at http://www.foldaboat.com/canoe.htm  A friend had one we used when we go hunting to get across the river and it was great.  He said they have a ten year warranty on the hull.

(Edited by Ken King at 11:39 am on Feb. 7, 2002)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
That site was very interesting.  I've never heard of a fold up boat.  I like the fact that it is very transportable.  Thanks for the link.  I will check it out when the info. gets here, maybe some of my questions will be answered.  

(Edited by Sharon at 2:42 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)