Great survey question

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See our main page to vote:

Some school districts have adopted a 4 day school week. By expanding the school day 1.5 hours, Monday through Thursday students are off on Fridays. Do you think this would be a good idea in Southern Maryland?

Man, I wish they'd do that in our school district.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I wish they'd do that in our school district.

I wish they'd have done that when I was in school. :lol: I didn't vote since I don't have kids in school anymore. I'm wondering though...won't that mess with people's daycare? Wouldn't they end up paying for extra hours/ or day?

Sharon said:
I wish they'd have done that when I was in school. :lol: I didn't vote since I don't have kids in school anymore. I'm wondering though...won't that mess with people's daycare? Wouldn't they end up paying for extra hours/ or day?
:yeahthat:I can't wait to hear Dymphna's opinion on this. At first I was thinking, cool. I could put my kids on/off the bus myself and then would only need daycare on Fridays. But that wouldn't work because I have one on the middle school schedule and one on the elementary school schedule for another year and a half yet...:ohwell:

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
I love the idea!!! It's easier to find daycare for one day a week than it is for just a couple hours a day IMHO. :shrug:

Christy said:
I love the idea!!! It's easier to find daycare for one day a week than it is for just a couple hours a day IMHO. :shrug:
I don't see it that way because daycare providers expect to make a certain amount by the week. They would fill the slots with full timers and those needing one day a week coverage would have to pay the full time amount to hold the slot.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
It would work for me. I'd be able to put the kids on/off the bus daily, and husband and I have alternating CWS so that wouldn't be an issue. :yay:

I'm in a similiar situation now. My oldest is going to be old enough to get on and off the bus without supervision next year, but I still am not comfortable with the idea of him being home alone unsupervised for entire days at a time (days schools are closed, and even more importantly the summer break). If I want him to have a summer spot, I have to "fill the vacancy" ($$$) for the entire year. :banghead:

Christy

b*tch rocket
kwillia said:
I don't see it that way because daycare providers expect to make a certain amount by the week. They would fill the slots with full timers and those needing one day a week coverage would have to pay the full time amount to hold the slot.
It would still be the same amount wouldn't it? :confused: Everyone would be making the change. :shrug:

I don't use daycare at all, so it would work fabulous for me, I'd get to be at work earlier and maybe go back to CWS and Steve and I could alternate the Fridays off. So since it works for me effe y'all, it needs to be made law! :diva: :lmao:

JabbaJawz said:
It would work for me. I'd be able to put the kids on/off the bus daily, and husband and I have alternating CWS so that wouldn't be an issue. :yay:
But what about when they have a split schedule once Mac hits middle school. There is at least an hour to an hour and a half in between the time of the pickup of the first kid to the pickup of the second kid. And then Mac would be getting off the bus about an hour to an hour and a half earlier than she does now. If both parents are CWSing, they have to put in a 9 to 10 hour day... it doesn't add up.

Sigh... we could banter back and forth about this all evening and get nowhere with this. It's not about me, or you Jabba, or you Christy... what's important is what would work best for Pixie... guess we have to wait for her to chime in...:ohwell:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
kwillia said:
It would wreak havoc on those up us who would need daycare on just Fridays...:twitch:

:yeahthat: Not a problem for me anymore,, but unless society adopts a four day work week to go along with it would be too much of an expense for those that can least afford it

itsbob

I bowl overhand
and I'm the only male that chimed in..

.. but have to think of my less fortunate days and would say NO way.. I'd be a great politician, I've seen it all.. I've lived on macaroni and cheese, and wondering which bills not to pa, or who was getting ready to shut off what, and now I'm in greener pastures..

Think I'll run against Mikulski.. she's a buffoon(I use that word believing she won't know what it means so slander won't apply here) and I can't belive Maryland has re-elected her HOW many times??

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
kwillia said:
Sigh... we could banter back and forth about this all evening and get nowhere with this. It's not about me, or you Jabba, or you Christy... what's important is what would work best for Pixie... guess we have to wait for her to chime in...:ohwell:
Damn. I wish I had some karma left to give to you. Good karma IOU for my next allotment, Kwillia.

S

Shutterbug

Having been in the school system before, I think this is a great idea for teachers and students. Heck, I'd probably still be teaching if I'd had a three day weekend every week. However, it would be difficult for parents to find someone to watch their kids on that Friday off, especially if they weren't one of the lucky ones with CWS.

Another problem will be that old problem of forgetting what's been learned. (As in summer vacation.) Sure, it is only three days off, but from past experience, the students I had would forget what they learned over the two day weekend.

This is an issue that will always have pros and cons.

Steve

Enjoying life!
That schedule would work well for SoMD, where most work CWS anyway. Why not the kids too? Then again, that CWS day is a nice retreat of solitude with the kids in school that day, if only for 6 hours. Not that I care, mind you....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
This could make a great opportunity for people to have a one-day work week where they either can’t work full-time or don’t want to by running this occasional school age daycare. If the person operating such an entity is a friend of the parents of the children being watched it appears that there would be no requirement to register as long as it is less then 8 children. Extracted from Maryland Code, Family Law, Title 5 Children, Subtitle 5 Day Care and Foster Care, Part 5 Family Day Care Homes. 8 kids at $25 to $30 a head could make a cool $200 to $240 a week.

Oh yeah, definitely give them Fridays off, my CWS days are Monday. :biggrin:

Steve

Enjoying life!
Ken King said:
This could make a great opportunity for people to have a one-day work week where they either can’t work full-time or don’t want to by running this occasional school age daycare. If the person operating such an entity is a friend of the parents of the children being watched it appears that there would be no requirement to register as long as it is less then 8 children. Extracted from Maryland Code, Family Law, Title 5 Children, Subtitle 5 Day Care and Foster Care, Part 5 Family Day Care Homes. 8 kids at $25 to $30 a head could make a cool $200 to $240 a week.

Oh yeah, definitely give them Fridays off, my CWS days are Monday. :biggrin:

Always the legal eagle. Don't ever go away, Mr. Cousin....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Steve said:
Always the legal eagle. Don't ever go away, Mr. Cousin....
I love getting nudges like this that get me to dig into the law. It is such a great learning experience to discover what others have determined that we can and cannot do.

BTW drop the "Mr." yea old premature gray-haired namesake. It's as bad as calling me "Sir"; It ain't needed since I was never commissioned and I know who my daddy was. :lol: