Headlights question

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I just saw a commercial for Silverstar headlights (I think that was the brand). They said that headlights don't just burn out, but dim over time. Is that true? :confused: I've never thought about it, but have been thinking my lights seemed kinda dim lately since I leave out in the morning when it's still sorta dark.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yep, replace them at regular intervals and not just when they burn out or get cracked. You should also replace them as a group and avoid touching them with bare hands.

crabcake

Ken King said:
Yep, replace them at regular intervals and not just when they burn out or get cracked. You should also replace them as a group and avoid touching them with bare hands.
Thanks Ken. How often should headlights be replaced? I bought the ride 2 years ago new. I also need to change my oil, so maybe I'll tackle both those jobs tomorrow.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Wash the lens covers good too. You should notice that it is a lot brighter and if you get those Silverstars it will be a world of difference (at least if their information is accurate). They claim a 20% improvement. I might try them myself on the next swap.

crabcake

Ken King said:
Wash the lens covers good too. You should notice that it is a lot brighter and if you get those Silverstars it will be a world of difference (at least if their information is accurate). They claim a 20% improvement. I might try them myself on the next swap.
If I get those, I'll let ya know how they are. :yay:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Hmmmmmm..I'm surprised Penn hasn't posted in this thread. :lmao:

:neener: Penn

Headlights = boobies?

We'll see how long it takes. :tap:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Sharon said:
Headlights = boobies?

We'll see how long it takes. :tap:
He's probably a real pro at changing them once he gets his oily palms all over them resulting in rapid burnout.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Emailed News item someone sent me...

Dr. Calvin Rickson, a scientist from Texas A&M University has invented a bra that keeps women's breasts from jiggling and prevents the nipples from pushing through the fabric when cold weather sets in.

At a news conference announcing the invention, a large group of men took Dr. Rickson outside and kicked the #### out of him.

Vince

Kyle said:
Dr. Calvin Rickson, a scientist from Texas A&M University has invented a bra that keeps women's breasts from jiggling and prevents the nipples from pushing through the fabric when cold weather sets in.

At a news conference announcing the invention, a large group of men took Dr. Rickson outside and kicked the #### out of him.
:lmao: :lmao:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Generally speaking, the whiter lights will improve nighttime visibility. The Silverstars are probably the high end of the price range as far as upgraded headlamps are concerned. I don't know if they are worth their price, which is 2x or 3x a regular headlight capsule. But, pretty much every manufacturer has some form of a headlamp bulb performance upgrade.

Hey Otter - Deino has posted pics of high beams in the Private Forum... :cheers:

Ken King

PREMO Member
willie said:
The wiring on both my GM vehicles is pushing the limit on amperage. These upgrade lights (PIAA, Hella and Silverstar) do deliver much more light per watt but it's still more watts than stock. I'd be replacing the harness and relay along with the new lights.
Looking at the products offered and it seems that none of the Silverstar products are rated above 65 watts. At that rating you are only drawing a little over 5 amperes per lamp (watts/volts=amps). If I am not mistaken most headlight circuits are rated and protected at least to 15 amperes (I’m sure there are some differences by make) and as long as the wiring isn’t degraded or damaged it shouldn’t be an issue to switch over to the brighter/hotter lamps.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Cheese 'n Rice! It took me 2 pages of replies to figure out this ain't the boob thread!

That ain't right! Like I mean, NO FAIR tempting an older guy like me! :whistle:

willie

Ken King said:
Looking at the products offered and it seems that none of the Silverstar products are rated above 65 watts. At that rating you are only drawing a little over 5 amperes per lamp (watts/volts=amps). If I am not mistaken most headlight circuits are rated and protected at least to 15 amperes (I’m sure there are some differences by make) and as long as the wiring isn’t degraded or damaged it shouldn’t be an issue to switch over to the brighter/hotter lamps.
:yeahthat: That is why I deleted my post. My neighbor has an identical truck as mine and after adding Hella lights he cooked the relay and replaced it with a HD relay. Then the harness cooked. I don't know the Hella's wattage but it was much more than 65W. The first advertisement I saw for Silverstars said they were 65/120. They meant they were 65 watts but were as bright as 120W. My Vette has such inferior headlight wiring that I would probably get more light by replacing the harness alone.

crabcake

Penn said:
Cheese 'n Rice! It took me 2 pages of replies to figure out this ain't the boob thread!

That ain't right! Like I mean, NO FAIR tempting an older guy like me! :whistle:
sorry ... :poorbaby: how did those feel?