Turducken

Agee

"A turducken is, get ready, a chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a turkey. There is stuffing in between all the layers and it's a big meat orgy."

Anyone ever had one? Thinking about ordering one for Christmas.

mixallagist

Be careful what u wish 4
Someone brought one to my parents Christmas party one year. I didn't care for it. But alot of people I know say they are pretty good.

Agee

mixallagist said:
Someone brought one to my parents Christmas party one year. I didn't care for it. But alot of people I know say they are pretty good.
Por-Que'

Airgasm said:
There is stuffing in between all the layers and it's a big meat orgy." Anyone ever had one? Thinking about ordering one for Christmas.
Christmas...:confused: Isn't the meat orgy tomorrow...:shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I love duck! I'll never forget ordering it at a Chinese joint when I was visiting my grandparents and my grandmother telling me I wasn't going to like it. Needless to say I cleaned my plate. My other grandmother use to make it occasionally on Christmas. I may have to cook Christmas dinner. Where does one get a duck though? Do they sell them at the grocery store?

Agee

pixiegirl said:
Where does one get a duck though? Do they sell them at the grocery store?
If you're a skilled hunter, the county is full of them :biggrin:

Yes, the local stores carry them in the frozen food section.

Triggerfish

pixiegirl said:
I love duck!

Ever have Peking Duck? I think they use almost the whole duck except the internal organs. First the skin is wrapped in a thin (pastry skin?) pancake with a sauce. Dish number 2.....stir fried with veggies, and last but not least a soup with the rest. A small fortune.

Agee

Triggerfish said:
Ever have Peking Duck? I think they use almost the whole duck except the internal organs. First the skin is wrapped in a thin (pastry skin?) pancake with a sauce. Dish number 2.....stir fried with veggies, and last but not least a soup with the rest. A small fortune.
:twitch: - Afflack

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Don't do a Turducken---it's like culinary suicide.

It's much better to buy a turkey, a duck, and a chicken, and cook them all separately.

When they are stuffed within one another the cooking time of the total "bird" increases, thus making for dry meat. Additionally, since the duck and chicken are inside the turkey, you don't get that nice crispy skin that you would if they were cooked separately.

Agee

Club'nBabySeals said:
Don't do a Turducken---it's like culinary suicide.

It's much better to buy a turkey, a duck, and a chicken, and cook them all separately.

When they are stuffed within one another the cooking time of the total "bird" increases, thus making for dry meat. Additionally, since the duck and chicken are inside the turkey, you don't get that nice crispy skin that you would if they were cooked separately.
Agreed, the combination of all three, will increase cooking time. But, with stuffing around each layer, and the juices from each bird melding with the others, don't see it drying out.

Preparing your own does look like an undertaking. That's why I would order one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Airgasm said:
"A turducken is, get ready, a chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a turkey. There is stuffing in between all the layers and it's a big meat orgy."
Gross. :dead:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
But, with stuffing around each layer, and the juices from each bird melding with the others, don't see it drying out.

Ah, another no-no....

I know it's old-garde to do it, but stuffing a bird is so bad. Firstly, because of the absorbtion rate of bread based stuffing you are just asking for contamination---it's like putting a sponge in a raw bird and eating it. The uncooked juices seep into the stuffing as the bird heats up, making it a veritable nest for salmonella and all that other fun stuff your 9th grade science teacher warned about. Likewise, because the stuffing is contained within the protective shield of the bird, its temperature does not rise to that required to kill said bacteria...and thus all of your clean kitchen precautions to keep your family healthy has gone to waste.

Additionally, as with the extra birds stuffed inside, this increases cooking time, and once again expounds on the likelihood of dry meat.

I always make stuffing separately in a casserole and spoon it into the bird AFTER it has been cooked, for presentation.

S

Schizo

Anyone getting Turducken for Thanksgiving? I've never had it, but heard that it's really good, especially when stuffed with andouille sausage. YUM

morganj614

Schizo said:
Anyone getting Turducken for Thanksgiving? I've never had it, but heard that it's really good, especially when stuffed with andouille sausage. YUM

I hope not. But son #2, whose wife is a vegetarian, has threatened me with Tofurkey.:barf: