Good Japanese Restaurant?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Triggerfish said:
I don't consider Asahi as good or genuine.
I've eaten there, and I agree. For one thing, good food in any genre shouldn't require MSG. MSG isn't even a seasoning or a spice--it's just a chemical that mildly irritates the taste buds, so you think you're eating something spicy.

Llwynog

Thats Welsh for fox.
Triggerfish said:
Anyone kow of any good Japanese restaurants? I don't consider Asahi as good or genuine.

:yeahthat: I wouldn't know genuine but Sakura is much better than Asahi. They keep opening new resturants too.

S

stumpere

Llwynog said:
Dear Lord, I pray for:
Wisdom, To understand a man....Love, To forgive him.... and Patience, for his moods.. Because, Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death.. ..Amen!.....

:roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

Triggerfish

Tonio said:
MSG isn't even a seasoning or a spice--it's just a chemical that mildly irritates the taste buds, so you think you're eating something spicy.

It is in Asia, I've seen people dip pieces of green papayas in Thailand. MSG is also used in a lot of items in Japan under the name Ajinomoto. It's used in ramen soup and a lot of different sauces. Table salt is a chemical too NaCl.

Last edited:

Triggerfish

Sharon said:
Origami... Korean-Japanese-Sushi Bar
Ft. Myers, FL. :yay:

OK let me rephrase the question....Any good Japanese restaurants in Southern Maryland?

BTW any "Japanese" restaurants that specializes on steaks and seafood cooked at your communal table isn't Japanese food. It's American food with some Japanese influence. Most people in Japan has never eaten a steak or a lobster.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Triggerfish said:
It is in Asia, I've seen people dip pieces of green papayas in Thailand. MSG is also used in a lot of items in Japan under the name Ajinomoto. It's used in ramen soup and a lot of different sauces. Table salt is a chemical too NaCl.
Yes, salt is a chemical :dork: but it doesn't have the reactive qualities of MSG. I am very allergic to MSG and have to watch what I eat carefully. You wouldn't believe the number of foods that have it added. I've even found it added to canned vegetables. There are also a lot of restaurants I avoid because their liberal use of it in their foods.

Triggerfish

jazz lady said:
You wouldn't believe the number of foods that have it added.

I would, I lived in Asia for 1/3 of my life, most recently from 1999 to 2003. People in some Asian countries actually eat the stuff.

A lot of people can't add salt to their foods either but..... :offtopic:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
jazz lady said:
Yes, salt is a chemical :dork: but it doesn't have the reactive qualities of MSG. I am very allergic to MSG and have to watch what I eat carefully. You wouldn't believe the number of foods that have it added. I've even found it added to canned vegetables. There are also a lot of restaurants I avoid because their liberal use of it in their foods.
That's the point I was trying to make, too. For a while, our older daughter' skin would turn slightly red near her lips whenever she had salad dressing with MSG.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
That's the point I was trying to make, too. For a while, our older daughter' skin would turn slightly red near her lips whenever she had salad dressing with MSG.
I have a bit more of a reaction than that and it's not pleasant. The worst reaction I ever had was at Aloha. I thought I was having a heart attack as my heart was pounding so violently.

I was over a friend's house last night for dinner and I couldn't eat some of the foods she prepared because of the MSG. Broccoli with cheese sauce, salad dressing, and some of the pizza toppings ALL had it. :burning: It was sad having to drag boxes out of the trash to see what did or didn't have MSG in it. :frown:

Triggerfish

Blondie76 said:
http://www.sakurasteakhouse.com/
:yay: They just opened up a new one in Waldorf where Chesapeake Bay use to be. It's a lot better than the one over by Pet Smart, much bigger. The one down in Prince Frederick is nice too.

hhmmm...looks like the only real Japanese food that they have on the menu is most of the sushi... I guess I have to go to DC for the closest Japanese.

K

Kain99

Tonio said:
I've eaten there, and I agree. For one thing, good food in any genre shouldn't require MSG. MSG isn't even a seasoning or a spice--it's just a chemical that mildly irritates the taste buds, so you think you're eating something spicy.
Man... I love Asahi. Maybe I've never had good Japanese. The place in the Food Court in Waldorf is good too!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Triggerfish said:
Anyone kow of any good Japanese restaurants? I don't consider Asahi as good or genuine.
"Rueben O'Malleys" in Bethesda.

Best Corned Beef Sushi in the state.

Pete

Repete
The little short dude who runs the Yakitori and Yakisoba cart outside gate 2 in Kadena :yay: I don't know his name, we called him George.

Triggerfish

Pete said:
The little short dude who runs the Yakitori and Yakisoba cart outside gate 2 in Kadena :yay: I don't know his name, we called him George.

yup, we had a little lady in a cart in Atsugi.