Media treatment of religion

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22966-2004Nov30.html

Bethesda, Md.: I'd like to raise a question that's been on my mind for a while now, which concerns how The Washington Post portrays Christians pictorially. I have noticed, primarily in Metro and Style, that when people designated as Christians appear in photos, almost always they are shown with arms raised, eyes closed, and heads thrown back in a dramatic Pentecostal style of prayer. I am Catholic and most of us do not pray that way. I have attended Presbyterian and Episcopal services, and members of those faiths do not pray that way. We prefer a more reflective, subdued approach. Could you please be a bit more balanced in your portrayal of Christians? Thank you.</NITF>

<NITF>Milton Coleman: Thank you for your thoughtful observation. I will pass it on to those who make the decisions about what pictures are published as well as to our photographers, who take many of those pictures.
My family background is Presbyterian and Lutheran, and my wife's family's background is Catholic and Episcopal. I would never have known that about the different styles of prayer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The fact is that picturing Christians with their heads solemnly bowed in prayer isn't nearly as dramatic as showing them in a full evangelical frenzy, speaking in tongues and rolling around on the floor.

Don't expect the WashPost to change this portrayal any time soon - it doesn't suit their agenda.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
The fact is that picturing Christians with their heads solemnly bowed in prayer isn't nearly as dramatic as showing them in a full evangelical frenzy, speaking in tongues and rolling around on the floor.
Does that actually happen in Pentecostal churches?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I go to a pentecostal church. We are not snake handlers. There is at least one but probably more groups that do handle snakes; in my opinion, they have taken scripture out of context as often happens when people do not bother to read passages in context. Do pentecostal raise their hands when praying; sometimes, sometimes not. It is supported by scripture.
1 Timothy 2
Instructions on Worship
1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone– 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave himself as a ransom for all men–the testimony given in its proper time. 7And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle–I am telling the truth, I am not lying–and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles.

8I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
Pentecostals are far more involved with the power of the Holy Spirit that the other Christians, receiving and practicing the gifts mentioned in I Corinthians 12. And there is evidence of healing and other miracles of God in our congregation. Last Sunday, there were several praise reports. One woman who had sickle cell anemia since birth had her most recent blood work come back completely normal. Another person went to have an operation for cancer and the last set of x-rays taken were clear of any sign of cancer. Another woman was healed of cancer without surgery a few weeks back. A couple of months ago, a woman that had had a stroke and lost the use of her left arm and had been told by the doctors that they did not expect her to recover stood up in church and said I just want to praise God and held up both arms over her head; completely recovered. A couple who were told they could not have children had twins earlier this year.

God is still in the job of doing miracles it is just that most people, including many Christians, want to limit the power of God to what humans can understand. If you believe as I do that God created everything, then is is not a stretch to believe that He can fix anything He chooses to.