Horse Expertise?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
OK...i've been wondering what experience everyone interested in the horse forum has with horses. A little Horsey CV if you will please! :biggrin:
Number of years "in" horses?
What discipline do you ride?
Breeding?
Showing?
Give lessons?
Takes lessons? If so, where?
Do Trails?
Ever Camped with your horses?
Training methods used if any?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'll start!
Number of years "in" horses? From the time I was 12, I've worked with horses in one way or another
What discipline do you ride? Western Pleasure
Breeding? Have my first baby horse now, born on our farm this past Summer
Showing? Nope, Rottncop says NOWAY we're just gonna have fun! :lol:
Give lessons? Nope
Takes lessons? If so, where? Have occasionally, on the shore
Do Trails? YES
Ever Camped with your horses? YES
Training methods used if any? Clinton Anderson, Kenny Harlow

H

HollowSoul

happyappygirl said:
OK...i've been wondering what experience everyone interested in the horse forum has with horses. A little Horsey CV if you will please! :biggrin:
Number of years "in" horses?------bout 4
What discipline do you ride?-------western pleasure----bareback
Breeding?-------------------------nope
Showing?--------------------------nope
Give lessons?----------------------not experienced enough for that
Takes lessons? If so, where?--------being as though it's been bout 6yrs...i could use a refresher
Do Trails?--------------------------HE!! YEAH
Ever Camped with your horses?--------yup
Training methods used if any?
----if ya get bucked off----get up and get on again

AMP

Jersey attitude.
happyappygirl said:
Number of years "in" horses? --- 7+ Have three horses to care for now, a palomino(9) and a sorrel (20?) QH, and a black Morgan cross (4).
What discipline do you ride? --- Western
Breeding? --- No
Showing? ---Not yet! GOt rained out of my first classes at both shows this summer!
Give lessons? --- No
Takes lessons? If so, where? --- Took lessons for almost a year out in Leesburg, Miran Farms, with a team penner/roper. Yikes. Now take the occasional lesson down at Infinity Farms in Callaway.
Do Trails? --- Nothing much yet, getting there...
Ever Camped with your horses? --- No
Training methods used if any? ---For who, me or the horse? :) I go with what I might be doing wrong first, if my horse isn't 'listening' then I am not 'communicating' correctly. Read everyone from Swift to Twelveponies, and Parelli, Dorrance, Roberts, Shrake.

Looking forward to others' answers.

janey83

Twenty Something
Number of years "in" horses? Only went once
What discipline do you ride? English
Breeding? No
Showing? No
Give lessons? No
Takes lessons? If so, where? If you count my friend's mom
Do Trails? I'm going to in the spring
Ever Camped with your horses? I'd love to be a cowgirl!
Training methods used if any? if you're nervous, the horse will be nervous

:popcorn:

barncat

Hi, I'm sorta new, sorta not, I posted for a short while a few years ago, and I posted very little. I have some horse experience though so I thought I would respond to this post.

happyappygirl said:
Number of years "in" horses? 15 years
What discipline do you ride? Done a little of everything, from show ring stuff like western pleasure and hunt seat, eventing and my latest adventure, riding TB racehorses at a farm.
Breeding? My gelding would not perform or appreciate, so no, no breeding here.
Showing? Taken a break the past 1 1/2 years, hopefully I will get back into this spring or fall.
Give lessons? Beginner lessons.
Takes lessons? If so, where? Not recently, but have taken extensive lessons and I have cliniced with Lucinda Green, Jimmy Wofford, and Karen O'Conner.
Do Trails? Yes!
Ever Camped with your horses? Does stabling overnight and sleeping in the trailer count? I even had a leak in the ceiling vent and was soaking wet by morning because it dripped on me all night during a thurnderstorm.
Training methods used if any? [Whatever works for the horse. I follow the moto, 'All roads lead to Rome.'/QUOTE]

K

Katie

Number of years "in" horses? Since I was 14
What discipline do you ride? Saddle Seat, Hunter/Jumper,Dressage(training level) and western pleaseure
Breeding? Nope
Showing? Showed from 14 - 22. Showed saddle seat and was 4-h 5 County Champion 2 years running. Showed State Level placed 3rd in equitation, and 1st in pleasure.
Give lessons? Yes - beginners
Takes lessons? Not down here, lack of time.
Do Trails? Yes
Ever Camped with your horses? Yes
Training methods used if any? I used patience and lots of ride time.

I want to get another horse but right now can't because other commitments but will get one in the next year or so. (So be on the lookout for a nice trail horse!!)

barncat

happyappygirl said:
Appyday, How does one tie a horse to himself? :confused:

Please correct me if I'm wrong Appyday, but I think she is referring to the tying till they stand, which could be any amount of time. I have seen someone doe this before with young TBs with the same success I had of just dealing with the horse and letting the horse get use to the program, they normally come around in a week.

Tying to themselves, I have seen someone do this also, and again correct me Appyday if I'm not correct. This person tied the horses head to the side with a snaffle bridle on because the horse would not "give" to the bit. Again, not another practice I advocate.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Number of years "in" horses?...25
What discipline do you ride?...English
Breeding?...love to foal watch and help birth babies; the best was my own filly of course...have been trying to breed 2 TB's to a sporthorse for 3 years and have not had any luck.:(
Showing?...SMHA schooling shows, Md combined training assoc., USEA. But not anytime soon, I'm down for 9 mos. or so..:baby::)
Give lessons?...only to my nieces, maybe in the future i will get a lesson pony for my kids and all the other girls in my neighborhood.
Takes lessons? If so, where?...not for a while
Do Trails?...every chance I get
Ever Camped with your horses?...never have, but would love too.
Training methods used if any?...a few here and there... side reins on the lunge, inprinting at birth, etc..

AMP

Jersey attitude.
appyday said:
. Here is a well broke 2 yr old.Here

OK, you have seen my palomino (if you remember). I just ride, no fancy stuff, I try to be consistent with what I ask the horse to do. You KNOW I am not big-time. Have not even shown at Oak Ridge yet (darn rain and darn sore feet)! :smile: But I have a bunch of questions! How do you get a horse to peanut-roll (is that what the tying to give is about)? Is this going out of style and more 'natural' headsets coming in? Or are all Western Pleasure horses expected to do this? If I show next year, in WP classes, how will the judges look at my horse? I think I will stick with horsemanship....

I ride an old sorrel gelding too who does lovely WP stuff, old show dog, but I enjoy riding my palomino more.

Your horses, by the way, are LOVELY!

barncat

appyday said:
I tie in the stall a couple or so hours after work. This will help a horse that is anxious to be done working so they can be turned out with pasture mates etc. Some trainers will tie in the stall many many hours a day. I feel that is too much. It also makes them patient.

Tying to self is as Barncat said, it teaches a horse to give. You can tye them with a snaffle or a sidepull. Depends on what I am showing them in..If I am showing in a bosal and they do not give I will tie them with their head pulled around for a 1/2 hour until they give. Each side. You can tie them to the rings on a work saddle. I use a saddle. I have seen them tied to their own tail. I value a tail too much for that..I will also tie down or bit when lunging or free lunging befor I ride. If a horse does not give to me I have no problem bitting them with their head between their legs for 20 min...Yes I can be harsh on one but sometimes you need to be. I am mild compaired to some big guys. The best horse I have ever shown was blinded in one eye by a trainer flipping him. Head trama detached a retna...Now that is BAD. Here is a well broke 2 yr old.Here

It's interesting how training methods differ. As far as I know in the western world tying a horse to itself or the saddle is fairly common, but of what I have seen in the event and dressage worlds, it's not as common. I have seen a dressage trainer do it and another person who called themself a trainer do it also. Eventers and dressage folks are not guilt free though, I have seen some folks put a gag on a horse during a dressage ride if the horse is pulling through the bridle and I myself have yanked on the reins out of frustration when my horse would not soften in the bridle.

The riding styles differ alot too, in eventing I want to feel my horse slightly pulling on the contact, where a western horse is to perform on a slack rein.

It's educational to learn what training methods are accepted in the different horse worlds, and while I might not agree with some I'm sure there's other people out there who do not agree with my methods.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I want a SOFT faced horse....i like a slack rein, where all i have to do is lift the rein to get a response. I don't care for slobber straps, but the theory is good. I don't believe you need them to communicate, if he's well trained to give. I personally have had the most luck teaching them to tie, and halter break at any age by letting them drag a lead rope around the field so it is stepped on by themselves and other horses. This teaches them to 1) stop when they feel the pressure, and to even back off a bit to release the pressure and 2) be patient when another horse steps on it. My 4 month old baby stops the instant he feels pressure on the lead rope, or if i'm holding it, turns when i even move the lead in the direction i want him to go. He also disengages his hindquarters already in response to a wave of the hand in the direction of his hip.
I wouldn't make a good English rider, because i don't like all the contact with the face that direct reining requires, and i own two horses that don't know how to neck rein, and requirt it, so i'm teaching them to neck rein. I'm of a mind that a rider is always in teach/learn mode when on the back of a horse. I will learn what works for that horse, and will be teaching him with everything we are doing. I tend to be extremely light handed and light in the saddle, and use a lot of seat and leg. :smile: Rottncop and our son tend to sit very heavily in the saddle and only neck rein. They use very little leg and seat. I guess i'm a teacher at heart :biggrin: I LOVE training/breaking youngsters. I wish i knew enough to do it professionally. I've taken a number of seminars over the years from Kenny Harlow, and watched/practiced a ton of Clinton Anderson. They are my preferred training methods, and I use round pen reasoning ALL the time. Wish i could use it on the 2 legged kiddos :lol:

When you tie them to themselves, do you leave them in a stall? I have used this method to teach the give, but found it more effective to teach it by hand from the ground, then from the saddle, AFTER halter breaking them using my lead rope/halter method.

barncat

appyday said:
See I would rather have them pull on themselfes to lighten up then on me..plus it is always more consistant then even the most trained hands..

My horses (show) are spur broke meaning I ride with alot of spur. Spur to collect and slow down. Most people can NOT understand this as we were all tought long ago spur to go rein to stop. Not anymore. When I am loping and I want to collect him I will place my spur under his ribcage (outside leg) I will lift him up and that will collect him, slow him down and engage his hock. I will swing my inside leg to keep him in catence. More swing more lope less swing more outside leg less lope. I will actually dig both spurs in right behind the girth to stop him, again engaging his hock under his body and dropping his head into the bridle.

I like your thoughts and agree...there are many methods. Several to do the same job. Consistancy of any method is the key. Want to come ride sometime?

I use similiar methods, downward transitions consist of sitting in the saddle by using stomache muscles and applying leg and a halfhalt. My little arab was so intune all I had to do was sit a little deeper and he would halt from a canter.

The pulling comes more from the jumping standpoint, I'd rather have a gentle pull into a fence then a horse sucking back. Nikki always encouraged the tweeking of the fingers to get a response from a horse and I find that works best. Like you said, consistency is the biggest key to any training method.

I'm taking a break from serious riding this winter. I rode Tbs for almost 2 years and I feel burned. I've leased my Arab to Angus and Judy for their sons to enjoy. I'm hoping in the spring to catch up with a friend that I know always has a surplus of horses she needs ridden and competed, I'm not quite ready to think about owning another horse yet.

If you have an extra horse, I'd love to catch a ride here and there. My riding is not what it used to be, riding young Tbs wreaks havoc on equatation.

barncat

Nikki Vogel from VA? I don't know if she ever had a QH, I knew she had a WB and a TB I think, not sure about anything else she might have had.
My friend broke a Paso and I rode it once, it was the coolest thing. It was so tiny, pony size, but what a fun little guy.

Angus dropped me when I had the Arab too, it was my fault, but no amount of pleading would make him take me back. Now he has the Arab so he doesn't have a choice. Funny how things come full circle.

All my gear is in my trailer somewhere in Calvert County, I let a friend borrow it and told her to bring it back when she has a chance, not sure if she's had that chance yet, I'll have to catch up with her.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
uh...i can vouch for Appy's comment "equitation is lost on the trails" :lmao:
DON'T LET HER TALK YOU INTO RIDING THAT D@MN STANDARDBRED :lmao:
my butt STILL hurts! :lol:
If she doesn't have an extra, come to my place and i'll let ya ride one! Hey Aps. riding this Sunday? Wanna trailer to my place?

barncat

appyday said:
Wrong Nikki.....so why did Angus drop you? He downright never called me back and I booked every 6 weeks..he just never came to the 6 week and never rescheduled. I have gear...lots of it..all you need is yourself..

I moved the Arab shortly before an appointment and forgot to call him till that morning when I got a reminder on my computer. He did the Arab during the day by himself so he could fill his empty afternoons (that was 5 year ago when he had some free time).

He's forgiven me, but I don't think he will ever take me as a client again, which I can't blame him for.

He and Judy provide a great home for my guy and their oldest son gets along with him great so everyone's happy.

barncat

happyappygirl said:
uh...i can vouch for Appy's comment "equitation is lost on the trails" :lmao:
DON'T LET HER TALK YOU INTO RIDING THAT D@MN STANDARDBRED :lmao:
my butt STILL hurts! :lol:
If she doesn't have an extra, come to my place and i'll let ya ride one! Hey Aps. riding this Sunday? Wanna trailer to my place?

Try riding two young TBs together (talking 2 - 3) in an open field on a winter day with no warm-up. Monkey see, monkey do. I learned to be deathly afraid of deer, bunnies, dogs, and any change in the landscape. And forget going the opposite direction - it's like they stepped foot in a haunted mansion.

What an experience. It would be a piece of cake to ride something that had more than 90 days on it.