Winter Tires

Ponytail

aps45819 said:
Anybody here use them?
Not since 1978.

There is a nice distinctive tune being played up here though. Rush hour sounds like a pack of bees with all of the studded tires on the road.

Petter Solberg

I use Dunlop Graspic Snow and Ice Tires. They are night and day in comparison to running an all season tire in the snow.
Rob

John Z

if you will
Not worth it for our region, in my opinion. If we were in PA, NY, OH, somewhere that actually gets some decent snow, I probably would. I do have two sets of rims for two of my cars, and I switch back and forth between summer tires and all-season, but I do that for fun. A decent all-season tire should be OK here for year-round.

Winter tires (snow tires) would give you an edge about 4 days/year around here.

Vince

If there's that much snow on the ground that I need snow tires, then it's time to stay home. :biggrin:

John Z

if you will
My buddy in Cleveland just emailed me this morning. Since yesterday mid-day, they've got 6" of snow. Some places to the east of them got 20". I think I'd use snow tires if I lived there. :shocking:

willie

aps45819 said:
Anybody here use them?
On a truck or SUV Michelin LTX M/S are hard to beat. Excellent year round tire. Not cheap. Mastercraft is a great second choice and much less expensive.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
I was in Maine for 14 years and I never used winter tires. Used Cooper and Firestone light truck tires and went wherever I wanted in any snowfall and there was a bunch.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Vince said:
If there's that much snow on the ground that I need snow tires, then it's time to stay home. :biggrin:
:yeahthat: and that's why I didn't bother with getting 4x4 either. There's nowhere I have to go bad enough that I need to be on the road during inclement weather.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
A nice all season radial will be fine in SOMD.. Now getting big rubber bumpers for all the idiots that dont know how to drive in the snow and ice that we get is a different matter hehe..

Ponytail said:
Not since 1978.

There is a nice distinctive tune being played up here though. Rush hour sounds like a pack of bees with all of the studded tires on the road.
First car (only car) I ever saw them on I was like "WTF do you need those for around here" :confused: This was when I was working in Shrewsbury, PA, 1.5 miles from the Md / Pa line.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
Anybody here use them?
think a beeter question around here is.. How many are planning on driving this winter on bald tires?? I wanna know who to look out for!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
John Z said:
I do have two sets of rims for two of my cars, and I switch back and forth between summer tires and all-season, but I do that for fun. A decent all-season tire should be OK here for year-round.

Winter tires (snow tires) would give you an edge about 4 days/year around here.
That's what I did with the VW. Now that I have the pickup truck, I was thinking about getting a set of winter tires. The Tire Rack has a set mounted on rims for $350.

Petter Solberg

I find having a set of snow and ice tires to be worth it even though we only see a few days of snow every winter. Investing 300-400 dollars in snow tires is better than having the local body shop repair crash damage. Also, bad weather doesn't keep me in, in fact it brings me out for fun in the local parking lots.

John Z

if you will
aps45819 said:
That's what I did with the VW. Now that I have the pickup truck, I was thinking about getting a set of winter tires. The Tire Rack has a set mounted on rims for $350.

That is a good deal! I assume the rims are just steelies, but still a good price. Tire Rack rules (I buy tires from them all the time).

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Petter Solberg said:
Investing 300-400 dollars in snow tires is better than having the local body shop repair crash damage.
That's what I'm thinking. For a little more than the deductable I can get a set of wheels to swap out.

Pete

Repete
Petter Solberg said:
I find having a set of snow and ice tires to be worth it even though we only see a few days of snow every winter. Investing 300-400 dollars in snow tires is better than having the local body shop repair crash damage. Also, bad weather doesn't keep me in, in fact it brings me out for fun in the local parking lots.
This is ridiculous :rolleyes: Perhaps in the old days of bias ply high powered rear wheel drive cars it made a little difference but geez oh Me :rolleyes: If you carheads get your jollies off shucking out $$ just for the heck of it go for it. I spent 14 winters in Maine, Maine for Me sake and rarely did you ever see snow/ice/studded tires and that weather is 1,000 times worse than any wussy SOMD weather. 14 years with all season tires on cars and trucks and I NEVER got stuck or crashed or spun out.